Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    have been working for 2weeks now with a company,i have given then the wrong national insurance number, i was curious to know how much tax i will get and plus if i would get taxed anyway even though i gave them a wrong national inusrance.
    thnxs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stallion007)
    have been working for 2weeks now with a company,i have given then the wrong national insurance number, i was curious to know how much tax i will get and plus if i would get taxed anyway even though i gave them a wrong national inusrance.
    thnxs
    It shouldn't affect how much Income Tax and National Insurance is deducted from your pay, but your NICs won't be allocated to the correct account. I think the correct place to contact to correct this is the National Insurance Contributions Office (on 0845 302 1479), but two weeks won't make a great deal of difference either way.

As for exactly how much will be deducted, that will depend on how much tax you've paid so far this tax year (since 6 April). If this is your first job since then, you probably won't have any Income Tax deducted at first, but you should expect to see this later in the year. You have an annual tax-free 'personal allowance' (£6,475 for most people), then you'll pay Income Tax at 20% on the excess over this. The personal allowance is time-apportioned over the year, so you'll have less Income Tax deducted at first, as your allowance 'catches up' for the four months elapsed so far in the tax year.

NICs are calculated per pay period, rather than annually. You'll have these deducted at 11% on the excess over £110 per week.

www.listentotaxman.com is a great resource to see how much tax you should expect to be paying.

ReputationRep:
    Although, directly this mistake will not affect your tax, as tax comes from your pay, it can affect your tax code as this is based on yearly income and at the moment, this is going on the records of possibly someone else!

However, you need to make your employer aware ASAP because you can both get into lots of trouble, as this is totally illegal. If it is someone else's number as well, it can be seen as fraud, even if it was an accident - however, your employer is to blame also, as by law they are supposed to check with the database BEFORE hiring you so that they know that you are legally allowed to work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpiritedAway)
    Although, directly this mistake will not affect your tax, as tax comes from your pay, it can affect your tax code as this is based on yearly income and at the moment, this is going on the records of possibly someone else!

However, you need to make your employer aware ASAP because you can both get into lots of trouble, as this is totally illegal. If it is someone else's number as well, it can be seen as fraud, even if it was an accident - however, your employer is to blame also, as by law they are supposed to check with the database BEFORE hiring you so that they know that you are legally allowed to work.
    Yes, perhaps I wasn't as clear as I should have been. You'll likely need to get this corrected with both your employer and the NICs Office, so that both your past and future NICs and Income Tax deductions are correctly treated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Illusionary)
    Yes, perhaps I wasn't as clear as I should have been. You'll likely need to get this corrected with both your employer and the NICs Office, so that both your past and future NICs and Income Tax deductions are correctly treated.
    Chances are, the company will tell the NICs Office themselves so that they can get her a new tax code.
    Check with the company, OP, they may have their own policy on this. You might also be lucky in that they haven't sent off for your tax code yet, it will be no problem to change it . But Inland Revenue are slow :yep:, however, once they have your details they would see that it is wrong and send the information back to the employer anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Chances are, the company will tell the NICs Office themselves so that they can get her a new tax code.
    Check with the company, OP, they may have their own policy on this. You might also be lucky in that they haven't sent off for your tax code yet, it will be no problem to change it . But Inland Revenue are slow :yep:, however, once they have your details they would see that it is wrong and send the information back to the employer anyway.
    It shouldn't actually affect the OP's tax code, as their personal allowance won't change (the tax code is essentially a way of encoding what your personal allowance is). The tax and NICs paid should be able to simply be reallocated to the correct NI number.

OP, I'd still suggest giving HMRC a call as well as notifying your employer - it won't do any harm and in my experience they generally answer their phones pretty quickly.

ReputationRep:
    It shouldn't actually affect the OP's tax code, as their personal allowance won't change (the tax code is essentially a way of encoding what your personal allowance is). The tax and NICs paid should be able to simply be reallocated to the correct NI number.

OP, I'd still suggest giving HMRC a call as well as notifying your employer - it won't do any harm and in my experience they generally answer their phones pretty quickly.
    I'm sure at the moment the OP won't have a proper tax code - I am assuming this is a first job though! (I mean Inland would have noticed otherwise)

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure at the moment the OP won't have a proper tax code - I am assuming this is a first job though! (I mean Inland would have noticed otherwise)
    You may have a point - but on re-reading their post, the OP may not been paid yet, in which case HMRC may not yet have had anything at all about their deductions. It'll depend on whether the OP gave a P45/P46 to their employer when they started. OP, did do this? If not, you'll likely be on the wrong tax code and may be paying too much tax. If you know the tax code that your employer's using for you, let us know and we can tell you whether you're going to be paying the right amount.

ReputationRep:
    You may have a point - but on re-reading their post, the OP may not been paid yet, in which case HMRC may not yet have had anything at all about their deductions. It'll depend on whether the OP gave a P45/P46 to their employer when they started. OP, did do this? If not, you'll likely be on the wrong tax code and may be paying too much tax. If you know the tax code that your employer's using for you, let us know and we can tell you whether you're going to be paying the right amount.
    i gave the national inusrance details wrong by purpose, this isnt my old job, basically this job and the previous one i have been paid weekly but in the old job i never used to get taxed, i earned 450punds in 3 weeks and still never got taxed, only national insurance, and for tht job i gave a wrong national insurance, i mean for this job will it be the same or can this change if i earn more money

ReputationRep:
    i gave the national inusrance details wrong by purpose, this isnt my old job, basically this job and the previous one i have been paid weekly but in the old job i never used to get taxed, i earned 450punds in 3 weeks and still never got taxed, only national insurance, and for tht job i gave a wrong national insurance, i mean for this job will it be the same or can this change if i earn more money
    As above, how much tax you pay will be determined primarily by your tax code, not your NI number. Giving incorrect details may in fact make it more likely that you'll be given an incorrect tax code, resulting in you paying more tax than you should. If you earn less than £6,475 in the tax year then you can reclaim any Income Tax that you've paid anyway (but not NICs) - see the tax sticky in the money & finance forum for more info.

Oh, and to be quite clear, what you've described is fraud, and you're not going to get any help with that on here.

ReputationRep:
    Do you have any idea how illegal that is? And if it is found out that it was done on purpose or even suspected, you could be done for fraud?

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.