Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    My school just began the world lit essays and I have no idea how to do it and I need a topic to give to my teacher quick
    My books are Like Water for Chocolate and House of Spirits, can anyone help me?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alianees21)
    Hi,
    My school just began the world lit essays and I have no idea how to do it and I need a topic to give to my teacher quick
    My books are Like Water for Chocolate and House of Spirits, can anyone help me?
    I've got the same books for WL1, you could try doing something like..
    presence of feminism, use of war, presence of memorial items and their effect (e.g. cookbook [LWFC] vs. basement's items [HOTS]) both in terms of cyclic nature e.g. family and such.
    This sounds rather general, but I'd recommend going for something easy and not necessarily original note that there is no holistic points given; it is all based on the quality of your analyses (not originality).

ReputationRep:
    We had the same books, albeit with 100 Years of Solitude (which presented a remarkably broader scope for WL concepts). However, considering you're studying novels grounded in the genre of magical realism, have you thought about something in the field of post-colonialism? House of Spirits presents some excellent scope for discussion in its multi-focalised narrative perspectives, oppression of native perspective - and Like Water for Chocolate (despite it being one of the pulpiest and fleshiest books I've read) has some fantastic options for deconstruction in a feminist lens.

I had some friends discuss the architecture of the houses - and their pertinence to domesticism within the novels (which is all very vague, but as suggested above, they are good places to start)

Good luck :yep:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.