Turn on thread page Beta

I feel a little silly posting this on here, but anyway.
    For the last month I've been having really painful headaches. They started in my forehead but gradually moved round so that now when I get them my whole head hurts. It often feels like there's some huge pressure in my head waiting to burst...it's kind of difficult to describe, but when it's at its worst I have to lie down because I'm in so much pain.

I went to the doctor just over a week ago. He thought that they were tension headaches and his advice was to take painkillers regularly (as though it was a course of treatment), so two paracetemol and an ibuprofen at the appropriate intervals. I tried that and painkillers didn't have any effect whatsoever; the pain was just as bad.

I've been to the opticians (I'm short-sighted and wear contact lenses) but my optician has checked my eyes and doesn't think they are caused by my vision. He doesn't think there is anything serious going on.

So, my questions are:
    - should I go back to the doctors? Is it worth seeing them again?
    - has anyone got any advice or experience of tension headaches?

I've had really shaky hands at times over the past few weeks too and I keep losing my balance. I don't think they're anything to do with my headaches but I thought it may be worth mentioning.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Go back to your doctor and make it clear that the symptoms are persisting, and describe your balance etc. It's their job to solve it.

ReputationRep:
    are you sure its not migrane youve got and not realised some of the other symptoms?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I feel a little silly posting this on here, but anyway.
    For the last month I've been having really painful headaches. They started in my forehead but gradually moved round so that now when I get them my whole head hurts. It often feels like there's some huge pressure in my head waiting to burst...it's kind of difficult to describe, but when it's at its worst I have to lie down because I'm in so much pain.

I went to the doctor just over a week ago. He thought that they were tension headaches and his advice was to take painkillers regularly (as though it was a course of treatment), so two paracetemol and an ibuprofen at the appropriate intervals. I tried that and painkillers didn't have any effect whatsoever; the pain was just as bad.

I've been to the opticians (I'm short-sighted and wear contact lenses) but my optician has checked my eyes and doesn't think they are caused by my vision. He doesn't think there is anything serious going on.

So, my questions are:
    - should I go back to the doctors? Is it worth seeing them again?
    - has anyone got any advice or experience of tension headaches?

I've had really shaky hands at times over the past few weeks too and I keep losing my balance. I don't think they're anything to do with my headaches but I thought it may be worth mentioning.

Thanks
    I don't want to jump to conclusions but I'm guessing by the part I've highlighted, you're a little worried you could have something a little more sinister than headaches? I guess if you're worried, perhaps go back to your GP (or a doctor at your surgery who would be sympathetic to your concerns) and discuss it with them.

ReputationRep:
    paracetamol

or go back and see your doctor and TELL them how bad they are

ReputationRep:
    You shouldn't take painkillers more than twice a week. When you do, your body get accustomed to the painkillers and when you don't take one, you get a withdrawal headache, which leads you to take more painkillers. And the cycle continues.

(This advice came from a neurologist.)

Thanks everyone for replying

You shouldn't take painkillers more than twice a week.
    To be honest, I wasn't keen on taking them too often because I knew that they can make headaches worse, so once I realised that they weren't helping I stopped.

I don't want to jump to conclusions but I'm guessing by the part I've highlighted, you're a little worried you could have something a little more sinister than headaches?
    Well, when I've spoken to other people they've expressed concern about it all which has caused a bit of worry, yes. I don't want people to think I'm being silly and paranoid, though. I just have to go with what my instincts tell me and that's to go back to the doctor just in case. At least then I have a better idea of what's going on, right?

are you sure its not migrane
    The GP didn't seem to think it was, but I guess it is still a possibility.

ReputationRep:
    Well, when I've spoken to other people they've expressed concern about it all which has caused a bit of worry, yes. I don't want people to think I'm being silly and paranoid, though. I just have to go with what my instincts tell me and that's to go back to the doctor just in case. At least then I have a better idea of what's going on, right?
    Could it be that you've only noticed the shaky hands and poor balance since you got these headaches? I suffer from chronic daily headaches for 9 years now, I also have poor balance and shaky hands and also have random muscle spasms but the doctor and a neurologist didn't think the two were connected. Out of curiosity are you waiting A level or GCSE results?

(Original post by Dadeling)
    Could it be that you've only noticed the shaky hands and poor balance since you got these headaches? I suffer from chronic daily headaches for 9 years now, I also have poor balance and shaky hands and also have random muscle spasms but the doctor and a neurologist didn't think the two were connected. Out of curiosity are you waiting A level or GCSE results?
    My hands (well, left hand) has always been slightly shaky at times, they just seem more pronounced now. I am trying to figure out if the shakes etc. are just psychological (I'm sure the headaches aren't) but it's hard to tell because when you notice something, you can't pretend you haven't.
    Yep, A level results. I don't think it's stress from that though. I haven't been stressed or worried since leaving school in June, and I started getting the headaches when I was abroad on holiday. I know it probably seems like they are connected (and maybe they are without my realising) but I don't feel like they are.

ReputationRep:
    My hands (well, left hand) has always been slightly shaky at times, they just seem more pronounced now. I am trying to figure out if the shakes etc. are just psychological (I'm sure the headaches aren't) but it's hard to tell because when you notice something, you can't pretend you haven't.
    Yep, A level results. I don't think it's stress from that though. I haven't been stressed or worried since leaving school in June, and I started getting the headaches when I was abroad on holiday. I know it probably seems like they are connected (and maybe they are without my realising) but I don't feel like they are.
    Anon fail. :rolleyes: Tension headaches are nothing to be embarrassed about anyways!

How about being subconciously worried about uni or results? It may not be in the front of your mind but it might be niggling away at the back. Maybe wait just a few more weeks and if it still persists then go to the doctors again. If its anything like mine then you need to nip it in the bud before it affects you worse. Good luck with results :o:

Anon fail.
    Yes, yes, alright :P I know they're not but still, I know that some people I know from that 'Real World' are on here and I prefer to be untraceable.

Definitely possible. And thanks

ReputationRep:
    I would go back to your doctor. If they are tension headaches though, I get them a lot because I have a stressful job. I usually find drinking lots of water, exercise, relaxation techniques and generally taking time out help.

ReputationRep:
    I get these a lot, and everytime I go to the doctors after having them I'm just told the same thing as you. Blood pressure is checked and told to take paracetamol (unfortunately can't have ibuprofen). Maybe get your eyes tested to check it's not that? And other than that, keep hydrated and get back to the doctor and tell him it's not working!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 11, 2009
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.