Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Impossible to cancel Fitness First contract? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I've heard some horror stories about this.

I started about 2 months ago and now I want to cancel because I want to join a local gym. Silly me.

So, is there any way to cancel a 12 month contract or is it impossible?

ReputationRep:
    Tell them you injured yourself?
    :dunno:
    I dunno, read the Terms and Conditions see if there is a get out clause. If not speak to the manager and tell them you can't afford it.

ReputationRep:
    A 12 month contract, if obtained lawfully, is and should be enforceable. Your fault and you'd be very lucky (and I'd be very surprised) if they said yes you can cancel.

ReputationRep:
    Right ok. I'll just carry it on then and cancel when it comes to an end.

ReputationRep:
    I'd just change my identity and live in mexico imo. It's less hassle than canceling your account with these guys through the *proper channels*
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    The contract is enforceable. They let you buy your way out but it is expensive. If you don't pay they register the debt with credit reference agencies and pass the debt to a debt collection agency. So, whatever you do, don't ignore it but try and negotiate your way out of it.

ReputationRep:
    Is it true that I would have to give atleast 1 month notice when canceling it after 12 months?

ReputationRep:
    Possibly ye, check your T&C's.

ReputationRep:
    You should be able to give them your month's notice after eleven months.

ReputationRep:
    this happened to me a couple of years back. i think it says in their t&c that if you move to an area that doesn't have a fitness first within x km (i can't remember what x was), you can cancel your contract. i wrote myself an invitation letter to some uni in algeria (where there won't be a fitness first for another couple of centuries), put a couple of fake names and numbers etc., told them i'm going there for uni and showed it to them. it worked.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shark67)
    I've heard some horror stories about this.

I started about 2 months ago and now I want to cancel because I want to join a local gym. Silly me.

So, is there any way to cancel a 12 month contract or is it impossible?
    you can get out of it by transferring it to someone else to continue on for you.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.