Turn on thread page Beta

Advice needed- broken washing machine, refusal to be repaired or replaced watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys

I need a bit of advice cos I'm a bit stuck right now. My apartment is owned by the company I work for and there's a lady who I go to who doesn't directly work for the company but who sorts anything out if I have a problem.

When I moved in she said the washing machine was broken and that I had to fix something to the prong (if that's the right word) in the door otherwise it wouldn't shut properly and would flood the bathroom. She suggested a piece of loo roll which I can get to stay wound. So I've been doing everything in my sink but obviously it's not getting things as clean as a washing machine would. A guy I work who lived here a few months ago with suggested attaching a shoe lace to the door prong although he said the door was very temperamental and that when he lived here the door would often jam and never open again. It's jammed with my shoe lace in it so I can't wear my shoes now.

I just texted the lady asking her if a repair or a new machine was possible and she said no to both. This machine is the only one in the whole building and there are maybe 5-10 of us here. 3 of my other colleagues who live in other buildings have broken machines and we only know one guy with a working one. I think it's awful and I'm completely stunned that she won't offer to repair it or buy a new one.

Any suggestions as to what the heck I can do? Where I live is very small and there's no launderette and only this one friend with a working machine. Mum said I should speak to the manager at work but I'm thinking if this lady said no then the manager won't help either.

Any suggestions appreciated.

what does your contract say? I rent and our oven door broke a few weeks ago and we got it repaired asap as it was in the contract, no cost to us at all!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cup of Inspiration)
    what does your contract say? I rent and our oven door broke a few weeks ago and we got it repaired asap as it was in the contract, no cost to us at all!
    It doesn't. It's only a one page thing that just says the apartment is property of the firm, they take my deposit and if I break anything I pay for it.

(Original post by hannah_dru)
    It doesn't. It's only a one page thing that just says the apartment is property of the firm, they take my deposit and if I break anything I pay for it.

ok, well as the machine was originally part of the apartment, im assuming you have the right to get it fixed, i mean if there was a damage to the apartment they'd pay to fix it right, and your rent is obviously paying for use of this machine

ReputationRep:
    ok, well as the machine was originally part of the apartment, im assuming you have the right to get it fixed, i mean if there was a damage to the apartment they'd pay to fix it right, and your rent is obviously paying for use of this machine
    Yeah that's what I thought. The company pays the rent and the bills though (except for internet and phone) so I assume their excuse is probably that they can't afford it. Tomorrow I think I'll go and ask a load of colleagues what they've been doing. The lady is coming to look at it so I'm gonna tell her that obviously it's a problem that there isn't a launderette and we all have to borrow this one guy's machine.

Yeah that's what I thought. The company pays the rent and the bills though (except for internet and phone) so I assume their excuse is probably that they can't afford it. Tomorrow I think I'll go and ask a load of colleagues what they've been doing. The lady is coming to look at it so I'm gonna tell her that obviously it's a problem that there isn't a launderette and we all have to borrow this one guy's machine.

That must suck, keep nagging and get your rights checked, i notice you're living abroad at the moment, so it may be different!

ReputationRep:
    That must suck, keep nagging and get your rights checked, i notice you're living abroad at the moment, so it may be different!
    It does! Yeah I'm gonna ask other people who have been at the company longer cos they'll probably know more than I do. Thanks

It does! Yeah I'm gonna ask other people who have been at the company longer cos they'll probably know more than I do. Thanks

No problem, good luck I know how hard it is not having a washing machine, me and my friend are having to live with handwashing at the moment, and it sucks!

ReputationRep:
    No problem, good luck I know how hard it is not having a washing machine, me and my friend are having to live with handwashing at the moment, and it sucks!
    I know It's manageable but still not quite as clean.

ReputationRep:
    I emailed my YA co-ordinator last night and she said to either get a second hand one for about 30 euros, request to the lady as a group that we have another one, or just borrow the one working one like a lot of the others do. As my colleague pointed out this morning though, if they expect us all to use this machine it won't last forever. It'd be interesting to see what they'd do if it broke.

ReputationRep:
    I'm hoping I don't get fined for this now as the shoelace won't come out but if it was already broken when I moved in (it did work badly but the door was still busted) I don't see how she could. Offering to pay for a second hand one just in case.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Downing Students

Universal Student Living

“Over 25 years of perfecting the student accommodation experience. Downing Students. Accommodation Made for you”

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.