Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering if there is such a thing as having a portfolio for when you apply to university and if there is could you please give me suggestions about how to set it out.

I am hoping to apply 2012 and have started to make preparations like writing associated essays, doing activities and work experience in social and health care.

I have found some sites that have been really helpful, these are

http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/nursing/...ocs/portfolio/
    http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Publications...nce/DH_4008960
    http://www.foundationprogramme.nhs.u.../key-documents

I thought about putting job descriptions, references, certificates etc in there, but have got no further than that.

Any help would be apprechiated as i know i am jumping the gun a lot! :yes:

ReputationRep:
    i dont think so....im not sure though, ive never heard about having to write essays? but yeah activities and work experience are crucial.

Correct me if im wrong guys???

ReputationRep:
    If you can be bothered it will do you no harm and may help. For example if you write down little bits and pieces about your work experience and keep them together in one place it will be useful for writing your PS. Manchester would proably give you an offer straight away. They are a bit obsessed with portfolios and reflections.

hehe the nursing portfolio is a nursing related issue, soo funny you've linked it, at nottingham its part of our assesment of evidence of learning outcomes and the portfolio that needs to be produced for registration as a nurse, something as a prospective medical student, you don't need to think about! It may be a good idea to document this sort of things for your personal statement, and note down contact details, or have a safe place to put examination certificates, but it does sound like you're jumping the gun a bit! I think medical students build up their own portfolio during training aswell.

ReputationRep:
    Certainly it's not a bad idea to have proof of your achievements and reflection but it's certainly not something anyone will ask for (with the exception of academic qualifications).

ReputationRep:
    Thanks to everyone who has replied, I think I will sort myself out something based on the portfolios that I have found already. Thanks for taking the time to answer my post positive rep for you all, will do it over the next few days as can only do it once a day!

:woo:

ReputationRep:
    It might also be worth getting a signed, written letter from each place you do work experience saying when you did it and how long for. St George's asked for it last year and it's possible by 2012, other medical schools will be requiring proof of work experience as well.

ReputationRep:
    dont bother taking a portfolio to interview, macca.

it will embarrass you.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.