Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

Just for a bit of background on me. I'm currently waiting for my AS results and in September want to apply for English.
    I've changed my mind about course loads of times but I'm set on English now and was pretty certain I was set on where I wanted to apply to until I started thinking about my choices and what I to do.

I was initially planning on applying to Oxford, Durham, UCL, Warwick and UEA for straight English. I'm not setting my heart on Oxford at all but I've really begun to fall in love with Durham (i'd apply to either castle or st. cuthbert's). I know its very silly to do that especially because they're known as being so ruthless for English but I can't help it.

I would be really happy to go there, Oxford (obviously) or UCL...Warwick I initially chose because of its reputation, location (close to home but not too close), and AAB offer although I realise that it is still very very competitive. UEA was purely an insurance/back up place and I liked their creative writing modules because its an interest of mine. However I haven't "fallen in love" with either uni like I have Ox, Durham and UCL...

Now here is the actual point of this post: I was considering rejiggling my choices and applying to 2 courses at Durham: straight English and their combined honours in arts course. I've done a lot of research into this course and was initially going to apply for it. I would take English, French and Philosophy/ Theology modules. It seems the perfect course really as these are the courses I was initially going to apply for (i'm so indecisive).

However I realise that this is a huge risk/gamble as the combined arts course is just as competitive as straight english. It would also mean forfeiting Warwick or UEA.

I really just need some advice.
    I got 8 A* and 2 As for my GCSEs- am predicted 4 As and will most probably take all 4 subjects to A2 level

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I think the main question is, if you didn't get offers from Oxford, Durham or UCL, would you be happy to go to Warwick or UEA? Or would you rather reapply? If it's the latter, you should just go for two courses at Durham

ReputationRep:
    two courses at Durham I'd say.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dancing.barefoot)
    I think the main question is, if you didn't get offers from Oxford, Durham or UCL, would you be happy to go to Warwick or UEA? Or would you rather reapply? If it's the latter, you should just go for two courses at Durham

Truth is I just don't know (told you I was indecisive!). I don't think I'd be over the moon to go to Warwick or UEA but then again the idea of re-applying doesn't appeal to me much

I just don't know :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Well with grades and predicted grades that you have, you shouldn't be overly concerned about the competition.

So long as you're normal, and you're passionate about what you want to study, you shouldn't have a problem applying wherever you like.

Oh and also, doesn't the whole applying to two different courses create a hinderance with the personal statement?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skadoosh)
    Well with grades and predicted grades that you have, you shouldn't be overly concerned about the competition.

So long as you're normal, and you're passionate about what you want to study, you shouldn't have a problem applying wherever you like.

Oh and also, doesn't the whole applying to two different courses [B]create a hinderance with the personal statement?
    This is a worry of mine but I think they must surely expect that with the combined arts course. I've made a couple of references to French in my statement (draft) anyway and I lead the philosophy society at school and have mentioned that on the statement...

ReputationRep:
    Any other opinions? I'd really appreciate anything especially from people studying these two courses or anybody who's been through the UCAS system for English

ReputationRep:
    You have very good grades, so you should be in a good position to get at least an offer from one of your choices. If it's really a concern to you then consider a banker choice - your 4 favourites and a lower offer institution where you can be fairly confident that you will get an offer. However, it still needs to be somewhere you would *like* to study else there is no point. Even in the unlikely even that you did get 5 rejections, remember that you can still apply through UCAS Extra.

I didn't do English, but I was persuaded late to stick in a banker university (Liverpool) in exchange for Bristol because my school had similar concerns to you even if I did not. I also applied to Oxford and Durham which eventually became my firm and insurance. In the end I got all 6 (as then) offers and felt a bit annoyed that I was persuaded into putting down this banker, even though it didn't make the slightest difference in the end. If you really are the straight As candidate you appear to be and there is no obvious flaw in your application, then it seems unlikely you couldn't find one of Oxford/Durham x2/UCL willing to take you.

ReputationRep:
    A word about Combined Arts at Durham - they really do mean what they put on their website about only accepting people who are really dedicated to fully appreciating the breadth of the combined course. So you'll need to talk quite a bit in your PS about why you want to do other subjects, and why they link well. Shouldn't affect your other applications badly, but just bear that in mind!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sundogs)
    Any other opinions? I'd really appreciate anything especially from people studying these two courses or anybody who's been through the UCAS system for English
    I've got an offer for the Durham combined course

My PS was history driven, but I did link to anthropology quite a lot, and made some rather tenuous yet very obviously laid out links to Management and English. They did give me an offer specifying I had to get an A grade in History though, so I think they realised that History's my primary subject!

Read all the advice on the durham website about the course, it's really helpful!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angelmxxx)
    I've got an offer for the Durham combined course

My PS was history driven, but I did link to anthropology quite a lot, and made some rather tenuous yet very obviously laid out links to Management and English. They did give me an offer specifying I had to get an A grade in History though, so I think they realised that History's my primary subject!

Read all the advice on the durham website about the course, it's really helpful!
    thank you so much- really really helpful advice.

ReputationRep:
    I would stick with what you have. some unis don't like you applying to two courses at their uni as tehy think you lack direction. With your grades i would think you should get into one of your top unis and if not, your back-ups are also good unis so i wouldn't be too worried as long as you are passionate and original.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.