Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Both of my glands are swollen and sore just beneath my ears, not the glands by my larynx. But my actual throat isn't sore.

These ear/neck glands have never been swollen before. Which type are they?

Oh and my dad got the flu a few days ago if that counts, so does this mean I'm on my way to getting ill :\

ReputationRep:
    the 'glands' people generally refer to are your lymph nodes which are part of a general system. Swelling of the lymph nodes is a very common symptom of certain types of infection, and is generally nothing to worry about. If it lasts a significant amount of time, or causes any significant problems with breathing or swallowing, or you get significant night sweats, it should be looked at, but generally it sorts itself out over the course of the infection.

The lymph nodes most commonly noticed on the facial areas are the submandibular - you can probably feel yours if you feel just under your jaw about in line with your eyes (Ill guess these are the ones you say are the ones by your larynx), but equally around the ear area you have the parotid which lies just below and a little infront of your ear. As its an interconnected system its not uncommon for swelling to occur at multiple sites

Given your dad had the flu a few days ago and you have swolen nodes, Im gonna go with a yeah youll probably be on your way to getting ill.

PS this is not medical advice, Im not a doctor and any number of things here may be incorrect. If in doubt go see a doctor

ReputationRep:
    Lymph nodes tend to swell up with minor infection.

Although you do have a major salivary gland in the area you describe.

If they don't go down within two weeks or get bigger/painful go to your doc :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the info guys. They stopped aching for a while when I went out. I'll sleep on it and see how I am tomorrow.

Glad to hear they tend to swell up for a minor infection.

ReputationRep:
    Yeh you're probably just going to get a little poorly.

A few months ago one of my lymph nodes under my armpit swelled up so much, I went to the doctor and he was useless "nothing I can do, you've got an infection but it's not making you ill", hmm I'd have rather been sick than in agony for two weeks.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 10, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.