Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I really want to lose weight, I've been trying since june and must have lost a couple of pounds at the most, I don't hate my body I just wish it was better and would like to lose at least a stone, I exercise most days (when work allows) gym or swimming or exercise DVD.

But then I have days where all I do is eat, for example today I had beans for breakfast, I work and don't get a break til 5 so I need to stay full, in my break I had a jacket potato and tuna, then I came home and ate, some popcorn, a cereal bar, some weetabix, some toast etc all in about 5 mins, its like I binge then don't throw up (although today I tried)

how do I stay motivated?

please don't make any 'you're lazy' comments because these aren't useful, I really want your help, what can I do?

ReputationRep:
    ask friends to help you along and to stick with your routine?

ReputationRep:
    Trying to make yourself throw up? Carefullll you don't go down the anorexic route.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Altruistic1)
    Trying to make yourself throw up? Carefullll you don't go down the anorexic route.
    i know, my sister was anorexic, I don't know what I was thinking. anyway, I couldn't, it felt horrendous.

ReputationRep:
    thats alot of carbs in one day, even out your eating. fruit and veggies

ReputationRep:
    just eat things that will actually fill you up rather than eating all those things when you come home have dinner. and drink plenty of water as sometimes your body will make you think its hungry when you actually need liquids

ReputationRep:
    Woah, am in a similar situation i keep putting my diet off till monday.. and then monday comes and i don't do it.. Like am on a liqud diet which does cost £30 but ive lost three stone init in three months and recently found it hard to stay on it! It's not healthy i know but i've lost the weight i want to lose but i want to keep trying before i go to uni.. You need to stay motivated maybe join weight watchers or something and everyone there will help you. Don't take money with you where theres a shop or vending machines because that just makes you tempted.

Just eat right and cut out crap, and excerise and drink water no sugary drinks.

ReputationRep:
    There's a fitness section on this forum.

EVERYONE can lose weight and it's sort of dumb when people say they "keep on trying but it just won't come off". If you listen to their story more about diet and training you'll find it's really inconsistent and totally off from what they should be doing to lose weight.

Keep your calories low - go for anywhere between 1500-2000 calories a day. Keep ALL junk food out - only eat healthy unprocessed foods. Do HIIT cardio 3/4 days a week for 30-45 each session. You'll see the pounds fly off in no time. And drink lots of water.

ReputationRep:
    Actually make a plan of what you're going to eat!
    Set yourself a calorie limit (not something ridiculously low, 1200-1500 is always good)

And DONT think about throwing up! Eating disorders are awful!

ReputationRep:
    Keep all junk food out. Seriously, get a friend to hide all of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carmcarm)
    Actually make a plan of what you're going to eat!
    Set yourself a calorie limit (not something ridiculously low, 1200-1500 is always good)

And DONT think about throwing up! Eating disorders are awful!
    thats a good idea!

anyone got anything that's healthy and will really fill me up, so i don't get tempted to pick?

ReputationRep:
    Best not to try and go down the route of attemting to throw up, as you yourself know that its likely to be a slippery slope, once you start.

As said try substituting some of the unhealthy stuff for more healthier alternatives.

I think you need to space your meals out a little better as nothing till 5 oclock is a long time, seems a little unfair for work to not let you have a lunch.

Maybe make a threadin fitness asking for some ideas on how to keep up your fitness and what to eat, they are better to advise you there really.

ReputationRep:
    Look into stuff with high fibre content, or you could always add your own 'benefiber'. Some people think a spoonful or two of cider vinegar helps fill them up before meals.

I always find things that really fill me up are potatoes (think jacket potatoes) and huge salads that are mostly leafy greens with none or little dressing.

Diet drinks are always a way to feel bloated although not filling at all.

And also, don't eat in the evening (7pm, 8pm etc i dont eat after 7) because the scales are lighter in the morning and you feel more comfortable when you sleep! Eat earlier because at least you can burn the energy!

Edit: Basically its mostly about discipline! So get disciplining yourself! Your body weight might have just hit a plateau where the energy burnt = energy taken in so change it a bit!

ReputationRep:
    im getting fit for a football trial and alls i had 2 do was loose 6 pounds and av lost 2and a half stone from 7 days a week @ the gym for 2 hours a day didnt want 2 loose that much but a just dont the tred mill and weights and try bran flakes for breakfast and salad for lunch and chicken or pasta for dinner no munchies oh and no cheese or blue milk lol its hard but if u want it youl do it good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Love.Angel.Music.Baby)
    thats a good idea!

anyone got anything that's healthy and will really fill me up, so i don't get tempted to pick?
    Fibre is good but also consider more protein as that tends to sate you more than the carbs do.

If you're going to eat carbs, go for the complex ones (usually wholegrains) and avoid white bread and most cereals and cereal bars.

Did you have toast with your beans? Try adding something with more protein in it - grilled bacon and/or scrambled eggs for example. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day - breakfast like a king, dine like a prince and supper like a pauper.

For a while I was doing a high protein diet and I would sometimes have "shepherd's pie" for breakfast (with cauliflower "mash") - would make it the night before and just microwave. It made people look at me funny but I could easily get through til 1 or 2pm without feeling hungry (eating at around 7am). I'd then have something high protein with lots of leafy veg for lunch and supper would be a small meal - maybe a slice of ham spread thinly with philly cheese, filled with more veg and rolled up. I certainly lost weight (but got bored..!)

Look at how you eat and try to structure your food to fit your day - sod convention!

In addition, nutracheck.co.uk seems pretty good, you give it your height/weight/goal and it sets you a daily calories intake. You record your food in a diary and it tots up what you've "spent".

ReputationRep:
    If you're THAT motivated to lose weight, you wouldn't binge. People self-sabotage when they don't have the determination to change.
    You either have the motivation to lose weight, or you don't. Being half-assed and going all out at the gym, then thinking 'stuff it' when you get home, of course, won't help you to lose weight.
    How desperate are you for that trimmer figure? How badly do you want it?
    If you're that desperate to be slimmer, you'll stop sabotaging and start being serious. Until then, you will yo-yo. You've got to be the one to make the decision to stop pissing around and knuckle down. Losing weight is bloody tough - it's hard to resist temptation, by God I know it is. But in the end, you won't lose weight unless you stop eating a load of rubbish.

Sort out your head. Find out what your reasons for self sabotage are. Are you doing it because you just can't be bothered? Are you doing it because you don't like hard work? Are you sabotaging because you resent not being able to eat what you want?
    Figure it out. Then change.

Decide what you're eating before you start your day - and stick to it. Plan a few days worth of meals and get them prepared. Cook a basic meal and freeze it so that it's there when you need it. This will help you to stop picking at 'bits' and eat regimented, healthy and filling meals so that you are satisfied for longer. Eat low-gi foods so that your sugar levels are not up and down, but remain even. Drink plenty of water.

In the end though, it's up to you to make the changes or live with your body the way it is.

ReputationRep:
    The trying to throw up episode is worrying and you should knock that on the head straight away.

The jacket potato and tune was a good little snack, sort your breakfast out though weetabix or oats would be a good start. Also your main meal should/could be planned (as mentioned). Also, if you can manage to take snack type foods into work, whether by pockets or a desk then sort out something healthy to snack on during the day so you don't have that mad hunger making you binge - foods such as fruit & nuts are good.

ReputationRep:
    a salad is filling if you put something in it like tuna and i think ther really nice. Drink water cos it fills you up a bit and is good for you. Instead of eating crap eat fruit or bags of dried fruit - its really not that hard if youre motivated, i eat healthy - i love chocolate an i still have the odd bar . Have three meals instead of one or two and loads of snacking cos it dosent help. Keep up the exercise. Stay away from take aways an stuff like that - eat good home cooked meals. And as far as the throwing up goes - it might be tempting but once you go there you probably wont stop so you need to stop now - talk to someone about it - someone you know so they will be aware - might be hard to admit but its the best thing to do. Have you tried talking to people at the gym or health centres they might be able to advise good diet stuff.

ReputationRep:
    Drinking a pint of water before/with a meal will help your body to digest 200-300 less calories out of the meal Thats a start,, also look into how many carbs your taking in, far too many, try taking in low gi carbs such as wholewheats rather than whites etc...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lpotts88)
    Drinking a pint of water before/with a meal will help your body to digest 200-300 less calories out of the meal Thats a start,, also look into how many carbs your taking in, far too many, try taking in low gi carbs such as wholewheats rather than whites etc...
    Eh? So where do the calories go? They can't just disappear.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.