Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How to build muscle Mass? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm 16 i've been overweight for a while(11 Stonnes) but i've been going to the gym 4 times a week. I do 1 hour Cardio and 20K Cycling. I'm also doing weight training as i want to build a muscular body but the thing is i want to build size first then shape. I did bench press using Smith Machine but was told that wasnt as effective as others, so i started using dumbbells for chest workouts(around 22-25kg 5 Reps).

Am i correct in saying that to build muscle mass i should increase the weights and lower the reps to around 5?

Also i'd like to know of any techniques or other Workouts that i can use to burn fat other than what i do, and effective shoulder workouts as my rear delts arent that strong?

ReputationRep:
    If your benching properly with dumbbells 25 kilos/hand is pretty good.

Yes, 3x5 is pretty standard for muscle building.

Look at any of the popular programs Starting Strength (SS), West Side for Skinny *******s (WS4SB) or 5x5 Stronglifts. Theres people on here who follow all of the above programs (Though admittedly SS bias)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mipegg)
    If your benching properly with dumbbells 25 kilos/hand is pretty good.

Yes, 3x5 is pretty standard for muscle building.

Look at any of the popular programs Starting Strength (SS), West Side for Skinny *******s (WS4SB) or 5x5 Stronglifts. Theres people on here who follow all of the above programs (Though admittedly SS bias)
    These programs are good, and if you are just starting out I strongly advise you use one of these. I reccomend SS or bill starr 5x5, will increase all the compound lifts you need to be concerned with. The only way to gain muscle is to have a cal surplus, so make sure your deit is in check, and maybe lower the cardio (put it after your weight sessions).

ReputationRep:
    I'm very impressed that at 16 and over weight the first time you benched dumb bells you could do 25kg:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goodmen)
    I'm very impressed that at 16 and over weight the first time you benched dumb bells you could do 25kg:rolleyes:
    Either he has natural muscle from being overweight, or he means 25lbs :p:

ReputationRep:
    Or he isnt lowering them fully to his chest/does have his arms far enough out from his body...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mipegg)
    Or he isnt lowering them fully to his chest/does have his arms far enough out from his body...
    Perhaps it's bad form, but 25kg in each hand for 5 reps isn't that much.. Some people who are overweight can still be fairly strong, likewise my exceptionally skinny / scrawny friend shut me up a few days ago when he benched 70kg

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gary10k)
    Perhaps it's bad form, but 25kg in each hand for 5 reps isn't that much.. Some people who are overweight can still be fairly strong, likewise my exceptionally skinny / scrawny friend shut me up a few days ago when he benched 70kg

For an untrained 16 year old if he benches 25 in each hand properly its still a pretty high starting point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gary10k)
    Woah!!!!

I'm really scrawny but I've been going to the gym for a quite a few months now. I can max out at 20kg dumbbells in each hand but I doubt I'd ever get to 70kg.

FYI I weigh 50kg. :p:
    But Im on the way up.

ReputationRep:
    Its the first time but i've been using the smith machine for a while and can bench 70kg so i've got some muscle already.

I'm pretty sure i'm doing it properly, i have a few gym buddies who are ultra hench who tell me i'm doing it fine. My arms start to shake nearing my 5th rep.

Now i weigh around 62kg

ReputationRep:
    I think you've subscribed to the myth that if you lift bigger weights at lower reps you end up with more 'mass', than if you are to lift lower weights for more reps to give you a more sculpted look.
    This is wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arteta)
    I think you've subscribed to the myth that if you lift bigger weights at lower reps you end up with more 'mass', than if you are to lift lower weights for more reps to give you a more sculpted look.
    This is wrong.
    Please go on (for the OPs sake)... Am I correct in saying that 3x5 is more for strength (as in... Starting Strength)?

For me, my reps differ for various exercises. For arms my (pyramid) set is 3 x 30 and that has me absolutly worked out, but for other things such as dips I might just keep going till failure., etc. I am not set in always doing 3 x 8 for everything i do

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arteta)
    This is wrong.
    You need to shut the **** up, and stop filling people with ********.

Skeletal muscle can generate up to 50 pounds of pull for each square inch of muscle, more muscle mass = greater pull. (This depends largely on the muscle, as the thighs can even generate up to 100 pounds of pull for each square inch of muscle), NOW:

Myosin and Actin are the two fibers in the muscle, when you train maximal load, you increase the amount of fibers in your muscle, which contributes to muscle volume, why is that? Because you need to increase the square inches of your muscle so they can generate more force!

If you do a high amount of repetitions, what you're essentially doing is adding mitochondria to your muscle, so they can oxygenate the muscles properly, this doesn't contribute to muscle fibers (= no volume increase), yet instead cuts the lipid resources around the muscle, effectively shrinking the volume of your body around these parts.

That is the very basic ******* fundamental for the "Bulk" and "Cut" technique, you do 5 x 5's or 3 x 5, to bulk up (since it builds muscle fibers), and you do high rep to cut (since it adds mitochondria).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Yield *****)

Skeletal muscle can generate up to 50 pounds of pull for each square inch of muscle, more muscle mass = greater pull. (This depends largely on the muscle, as the thighs can even generate up to 100 pounds of pull for each square inch of muscle), NOW:

Myosin and Actin are the two fibers in the muscle, when you train maximal load, you increase the amount of fibers in your muscle, which contributes to muscle volume, why is that? Because you need to increase the square inches of your muscle so they can generate more force!

If you do a high amount of repetitions, what you're essentially doing is adding mitochondria to your muscle, so they can oxygenate the muscles properly, this doesn't contribute to muscle fibers (= no volume increase), yet instead cuts the lipid resources around the muscle, effectively shrinking the volume of your body around these parts.

That is the very basic ******* fundamental for the "Bulk" and "Cut" technique, you do 5 x 5's or 3 x 5, to bulk up (since it builds muscle fibers), and you do high rep to cut (since it adds mitochondria).
    Hyperplasia has not been proved to occur in humans, although the opposite (i guess aplasia?) has been proven in sedatory people. you cannot grow new muscle cells as far as the general community is concerned, you can only make the ones you have larger. so no new fibers, just bigger ones.

as for the lift more = size, not neccesarily.

volume training is more about total weight lifted over a certain session, as well as the rate at which it was lifted. as a result, most strength training occurs at ~5 reps, and hypertrophy basd workouts usually ~10 reps.

Example:

german volume training.

routine =
    exercise a. 10 sets, 10 reps. tempo of 4.0.2, rest between sets is 60 seconds.

this is shown to be one of the most beneficial workouts for size.

Powerlifters however, who train for power and strength, are usually at their 1rm-5rm when training.

arteta was right.

However as always, this doesn't really apply for newbies. they just grow no matter what you give them.

ReputationRep:
    you say your going to the gym 4 times a week but how many of those are you weight training as you may be over training due to your aspiration of soon becoming stacked....i only say this as it happened to a friend of mine who noticed minimal results in 6 months and then changed his workout plan accordingly......plus what's your diet like as this is crucial! ...are you getting the protein in after your workouts (weights) and what is your diet like generally between workouts?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AndersonsBentFoot)
    I'm 16 i've been overweight for a while(11 Stonnes) but i've been going to the gym 4 times a week. I do 1 hour Cardio and 20K Cycling. I'm also doing weight training as i want to build a muscular body but the thing is i want to build size first then shape. I did bench press using Smith Machine but was told that wasnt as effective as others, so i started using dumbbells for chest workouts(around 22-25kg 5 Reps).

Am i correct in saying that to build muscle mass i should increase the weights and lower the reps to around 5?

Also i'd like to know of any techniques or other Workouts that i can use to burn fat other than what i do, and effective shoulder workouts as my rear delts arent that strong?
    in reply to your actual OP.

cut the cardio, just do the weights. your not looking to cut weight, your looking to gain. so you need to eat more (otherwise you won't gain as much as you can).

smith machine is less effective than free weights, free weights is > than more or less all other types of weight, especially machines/assistance things.

muscle cannot change shape (well this is being explored in the 'growing' certain areas of a muscle, but if you're going down this line, you're talking about decades of hard work.) it can only grow or shrink. as a result, you want to gain size. when you gain size people seem to think it 'gains shape' this is ********, its just got big enough for you to see what it looks like.

If you want to see the muscle, you have to cut out the BF%, but you can only do this effectively once you've already gained muscle. so forget the good looks for now, you need a few months of getting fat.

5 reps is fine, try follow starting strength if you can.

as for the 22.5kg dumbells, **** dumbells, use a barbell. much better.

for shoulders, just make sure your doing OH press and all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yoshifumu)
    Hyperplasia has not been proved to occur in humans, although the opposite (i guess aplasia?) has been proven in sedatory people. you cannot grow new muscle cells as far as the general community is concerned, you can only make the ones you have larger. so no new fibers, just bigger ones.
    I'm revising cell biology right now, please, allow me to be the pedant.

Hyperplasia is a common physiological process, seen in lots of boring diseases. It's a normal response to a given stimulus. I think IGF has been shown to induce muscular hyperplasia, but this doesn't happen under normal situations.

The opposite would be hypoplasia (hyper vs hypo).

But otherwise, yeah you're right. Hypertrophy (size of cells) not resistance-induced Hyperplasia in humans (number of cells).

Sorry for butting in; I've got to put this stupid biochem to use somewhere besides exams. Anyway, it's nothing Wiki won't tell you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Yield *****)

Sounds good out of a book but it isnt reality so perhaps it is you who should STFU?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by red_alerts)
    Sounds good out of a book but it isnt reality so perhaps it is you who should STFU?
    This clown pops up and pulls an aggro-troll out of his ass from time to time. Just forget him. He's full of ****.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    This clown pops up and pulls an aggro-troll out of his ass from time to time. Just forget him. He's full of ****.
    Seriously, low reps to bulk, high reps to cut, sounds like the sort of turd they spew out down the local health club.

High reps cut and tone the muscle, lol.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.