Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yoshifumu)
    in reply to your actual OP.

cut the cardio, just do the weights. your not looking to cut weight, your looking to gain. so you need to eat more (otherwise you won't gain as much as you can).
    Don't cut the cardio, do it on days you don't do weights and compensate by eating more. Better to be fit than to be one of those built people who can't run 1km without dying.

as for the 22.5kg dumbells, **** dumbells, use a barbell. much better.
    Why? surely dumbbells are better as they involve stabiliser muscles more?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scipio)
    Don't cut the cardio, do it on days you don't do weights and compensate by eating more. Better to be fit than to be one of those built people who can't run 1km without dying.

Why? surely dumbbells are better as they involve stabiliser muscles more?

barbells are standard, more solid, easier to carry out technique (when you're a noob this is always good) and can be used for more.

dumbells don't use more stabilisers (well not that many more) they just use their stabilisers more, if anything they're better because it's almost guaranteed equal muscle growth.

you don't have to cut the cardio, what i'm trying to get across is that he shouldn't be focusing on it at all.

ReputationRep:
    you don't have to cut the cardio, what i'm trying to get across is that he shouldn't be focusing on it at all.
    This is true; if you don't tell people this, (stop doing cardio), then they think it's alright to run 5 miles a day, before and after each session. If you tell them, "stop doing cardio", chances are they won't listen and will still try to do a little bit. It makes sense to exaggerate most of the time. Like with eating; most people don't know **** about eating enough food, especially skinny runts.

ReputationRep:
    Ah fair enough

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChunkymunkyDJC)
    Either he has natural muscle from being overweight, or he means 25lbs :p:
    I bench 70kg with a single free weight bar, 3x10. 25lbs for a 16 year old with a pair of dumbbells does sound more credible than 25kg, I must admit. Unless of course as you've said yourself, he is a natural Arnold. :p:

ReputationRep:
    barbells are standard, more solid, easier to carry out technique (when you're a noob this is always good) and can be used for more.

dumbells don't use more stabilisers (well not that many more) they just use their stabilisers more, if anything they're better because it's almost guaranteed equal muscle growth.

You may as well ignore this guy. The dumb bell vs barbell arguement is so annoying with no proof either side. Using dumb bells to bench press is fine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RBarack)
    I bench 70kg with a single free weight bar, 3x10. 25lbs for a 16 year old with a pair of dumbbells does sound more credible than 25kg, I must admit. Unless of course as you've said yourself, he is a natural Arnold. :p:

LOL no i'm no natural Arnold, its just that i've been using Smith machine for the past 6 months- so i've already been building muscle, then recently found out that its not as effective as using dumbbell/barbell and as my gym is a bit crap, it has no free weight bar so i've been using dumbbell and found that 24/25kg in each hand is a comfortable weight for my 5x5 routine. I'm going to order a barbell weight set for home so hopefully i'd be able to see faster results and perform deadlifts and squats more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AndersonsBentFoot)
    LOL no i'm no natural Arnold, its just that i've been using Smith machine for the past 6 months- so i've already been building muscle, then recently found out that its not as effective as using dumbbell/barbell and as my gym is a bit crap, it has no free weight bar so i've been using dumbbell and found that 24/25kg in each hand is a comfortable weight for my 5x5 routine. I'm going to order a barbell weight set for home so hopefully i'd be able to see faster results and perform deadlifts and squats more.
    Of course, if reduction of fat is one of your targets, situps and pushups on a consistent and disciplined daily basis rarely fail.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goodmen)
    You may as well ignore this guy. The dumb bell vs barbell arguement is so annoying with no proof either side. Using dumb bells to bench press is fine
    what i expressed was my opinion. i think barbells much easier to use than dumbells, and dumbell deviants of exercises aren't that much mroe useful than barbell versions.

so if they're easier to use, you might as well stick them till you get a solid foundation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gary10k)
    Please go on (for the OPs sake)... Am I correct in saying that 3x5 is more for strength (as in... Starting Strength)?

For me, my reps differ for various exercises. For arms my (pyramid) set is 3 x 30 and that has me absolutly worked out, but for other things such as dips I might just keep going till failure., etc. I am not set in always doing 3 x 8 for everything i do
    Well yeah there are ranges of reps you can do for different goals, doing 1 to 5 is considered a strength range. You're more likely to build muscle between 6 and 15 reps though. it's debatable on what the upper limit of the hypertrophy (muscle building) range is though. Most people would probably advise against doing 30 reps of anything, but then if you're doing it to failure it can't be all that bad.

(Original post by The Yield *****)
    You need to shut the **** up, and stop filling people with ********.
    I would reply properly to this post, but other people have done it for me, and into more depth than I could hope to explain myself.

Size is not strength. Simple. Sure, there's a general trend, but that's it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SK-mar)
    you say your going to the gym 4 times a week but how many of those are you weight training as you may be over training due to your aspiration of soon becoming stacked....i only say this as it happened to a friend of mine who noticed minimal results in 6 months and then changed his workout plan accordingly......plus what's your diet like as this is crucial! ...are you getting the protein in after your workouts (weights) and what is your diet like generally between workouts?
    I use to take MM Promax but felt it didnt mix well so decided to buy ON 100% Gold standard Whey - which is much better in my opinion, but is it the right supplement for my goal of gaining weight and muscle? Should i be taking Cyclone or Met Rx Size up as they are specific?

Regarding my diet i do take protein after workout, i try to have complex carbs like brown bread and oats. My protein source mainly comes from egg, chicken, fish and meat. I normally eat pasta or rice. I'm a person who grew up eating breakfast, lunch, dinner and not eating much in between but now i've tried to change as its recommended to eat every 3/4 hours. I struggle to find nutritious/protein rich snacks to eat in between meals.

ReputationRep:
    I use to take MM Promax but felt it didnt mix well so decided to buy ON 100% Gold standard Whey - which is much better in my opinion, but is it the right supplement for my goal of gaining weight and muscle? Should i be taking Cyclone or Met Rx Size up as they are specific?

Regarding my diet i do take protein after workout, i try to have complex carbs like brown bread and oats. My protein source mainly comes from egg, chicken, fish and meat. I normally eat pasta or rice. I'm a person who grew up eating breakfast, lunch, dinner and not eating much in between but now i've tried to change as its recommended to eat every 3/4 hours. I struggle to find nutritious/protein rich snacks to eat in between meals.
    yeh you sound like your doing the right thing.....i use MM promax myself and finds its workd well but you might find it better to use MM products with milk instead of the suggested water, primarily because it is better for those seeking to gain muscle mass, but also as it mixes better and tastes better in my opinion than water!.........regards to cyclone that is the best proven protein shake for what your looking for but if you are satisfied with the results your are seeing with the one you are using at the moment then stick with it....................finally,

you should try and eat more meals a day (around 6) ....but each quantifying at a slightly lower amount than a main meal as it is proven that it is better to eat slightly less more frequently for muscle gain and size! hope this helps:yes:

ReputationRep:
    stop wasting your money

use this site:
    http://www.myprotein.co.uk/

and i recommend this product:

Unflavoured
    Flavoured

use code: MP118589 For a 5% discount i thinks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arteta)
    Well yeah there are ranges of reps you can do for different goals, doing 1 to 5 is considered a strength range. You're more likely to build muscle between 6 and 15 reps though. it's debatable on what the upper limit of the hypertrophy (muscle building) range is though.
    The set is 3 barbells of 25kg, 20kg and 15kg*, doing bicep curls.

8 reps on the 25, 10 seconds rest, 10 reps on the 20kg, 10 seconds rest, 12 reps on the 15kg. 2 Minute rest and then go a further two times.

It's an awesome workout for your biceps and gets you properly pumped like you couldn't lift another weight for the whole day.

*(If you want to try this just make up three bars according to your strength, perhaps start on 10-15-20 or 20-25-30 for the stronger folk)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gary10k)
    The set is 3 barbells of 25kg, 20kg and 15kg*, doing bicep curls.

8 reps on the 25, 10 seconds rest, 10 reps on the 20kg, 10 seconds rest, 12 reps on the 15kg. 2 Minute rest and then go a further two times.

It's an awesome workout for your biceps and gets you properly pumped like you couldn't lift another weight for the whole day.

*(If you want to try this just make up three bars according to your strength, perhaps start on 10-15-20 or 20-25-30 for the stronger folk)

Yeah i agree. I do similar workouts ofr my arms like that.

Sometimes i pyramid sets using the barbell with 1min rests inbetween sets.

Sometimes i do giant drop sets (like what you posted) but i don't rest between sets at all.

Supersets with bi's and tri's do me good.

ReputationRep:
    Eat raunchy smelly sardines everyday.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bbeben)
    Eat raunchy smelly sardines everyday.
    In before your mum.

ReputationRep:
    I love reading the replies here. But seriously, pick-up some muscle magazines and read regularly. You will pick up tons of good advice on workout routines for every muscle group.

Alternatively, just go to some sites like bodybuilding.com or muscleandfitness.com or fitness-and-bodybuilding-workouts.com and see what the experts say. Personally, I don't listen to anyone's advice if s/he hasn't been doing fitness or bodybuilding for at least 8+ years.

ReputationRep:
    ^Wrong on the magazine front. They majority promote all sorts of crap^

Massively wrong on bodybuilding websites, their bodybuilders rather than strength trainers.

As for the DB vs BB argument that went on previuusly.

DBs use the stabilizers more, however, you also lift less and 95% of the people I see benching with DBs are doing it wrong (arms not far enough out from the body, weight not close enough to the chest). BB in my view should be the main point of your training with DB thrown in there every now and then for a bit of a difference

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mipegg)
    ^Wrong on the magazine front. They majority promote all sorts of crap^

Massively wrong on bodybuilding websites, their bodybuilders rather than strength trainers.

As for the DB vs BB argument that went on previuusly.

DBs use the stabilizers more, however, you also lift less and 95% of the people I see benching with DBs are doing it wrong (arms not far enough out from the body, weight not close enough to the chest). BB in my view should be the main point of your training with DB thrown in there every now and then for a bit of a difference
    He wants to get bigger.

And bodybuilders know how to get big and are stronger than most people who claim to be strength trainers anyway.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.