Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How to build muscle Mass? Watch

ReputationRep:
    So, to confirm: A higher weight where you can only lift a few sets of 5 is better than a smaller weight where you can do a few sets of 25? I don't see how you can have a long and productive work out if you are only doing 15 repetitions of each excersise? surely that isn't enough to stimulate growth is it? If I was looking to bulk then how many repetitions should I be doing in one workout?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FluxD)
    He wants to get bigger.

And bodybuilders know how to get big and are stronger than most people who claim to be strength trainers anyway.
    This is true, but I dont know all that many people who can survive a 20 rep squat program after training for a while. Let alone from noobie levels

ReputationRep:
    But they aren't strength athletes they train for physique yet can still do feats such as ATG squatting 500lb x23 (Platz) and benching 400lb for reps.

ReputationRep:
    Mmm. I do see your point. However, I do still doubt that most people have a clue what their getting themselves into if they try do a 'real' body building routine?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yoshifumu)
    Hyperplasia has not been proved to occur in humans, although the opposite (i guess aplasia?) has been proven in sedatory people. you cannot grow new muscle cells as far as the general community is concerned, you can only make the ones you have larger. so no new fibers, just bigger ones.
    I'm not a fitness expert but through my degree I can tell you that you are wrong and are partially right but have put 2 and 2 together and made 5.

Although the muscle cells you have will not divide to make more cells they are perfectly capable of synthesizing more fibres. Actin and myosin are proteins and so are constantly being made in response to environmental signals.

You work out. Synthesis increases. The number of fibres in your muscles increases.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mipegg)
    Mmm. I do see your point. However, I do still doubt that most people have a clue what their getting themselves into if they try do a 'real' body building routine?
    Thats because a true bodybuilding routine is only beneficial on a body that has strength and muscle bulk to start with otherwise your just shaping and defining nothing.

ReputationRep:
    11st and overweight at 16 - 1m 14st 3lb ffs. how big are you.

And 25kg dumbells isn't very big - I did 5*5 50kg today (barbell) benching so not that bigger deal, and this is first time doing weights.

ReputationRep:
    25kg DBs is more like BB 60, if not a wee bit more if you have proper form. Needless to say, its a fairly big chunk for a totally untrained guy

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.