Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

free range housing for mice Watch

ReputationRep:
    anyone tried this?
    I've got my mice in a terrarium which the front glass can come out of, there's a big drop underneath the tank and no way they could climb out.
    I've left their cage open by accident before when there was a table there and although they climbed out and chewed up all my stuff they were all back in their bed when I got home so I know they don't like to go too far.
    i've left the glass off for a few hours while I watched them and they didn't even try to climb out, and they're totally used to my dog barking now, doesn't phase them at all.
    There's a mesh bit at the bottom of the tank on the front which is about 3 inches high, it's not like they can just drop off the edge.

so really just wondering if anyone else has had any experience with this?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I have a free range parakeet. She even goes outside sometimes. She's currently in my bin though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    I have a free range parakeet. She even goes outside sometimes. She's currently in my bin though.
    :p: sounds good

ReputationRep:
    Cat.

ReputationRep:
    I normally leave my rat cage open all the time, not sure what the deal is with mice though, what's the likelihood of them creating another nest?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fawn)
    I normally leave my rat cage open all the time, not sure what the deal is with mice though, what's the likelihood of them creating another nest?
    well hopefully they wouldn't actually take the risk of jumping out of the cage. I'm not really sure why they call it free range, it just means that a large amount of their housing is open and they could essentially get out.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Fawn)
    My parakeet makes nests everywhere, but they're not serious nests. They're more hidingholes.

I'm not entirely sure where she is now. Oh, wait, she just fell off the vacuum cleaner :s:

ReputationRep:
    If your mice are anything like my white mouse it's a lunatic acrobatic that ends up in stupid places if you take your eye off it for a moments notice. I left her cage open and went out the room for two minutes and came back to find her at the top of the curtain rail having clambered up the curtains. She is also an expert on traversing wallpapered walls

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fire2burn)
    If your mice are anything like my white mouse it's a lunatic acrobatic that ends up in stupid places if you take your eye off it for a moments notice. I left her cage open and went out the room for two minutes and came back to find her at the top of the curtain rail having clambered up the curtains. She is also an expert on traversing wallpapered walls
    mine will make insane leaps upwards but are really really cautious about jumping or falling downwards. they'll climb anywhere but there's nothing to climb out of their cage on. will post a pic when I think of it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.