Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am not planning to take a computer or laptop to university so I wondered what access I would have to computers at UCL to use to study on i.e. in the library etc. Is this free and are there enough computers or do you always have to wait ages to get a computer?
    thanks x
    p.s. i will be studying maths if that makes any difference

ReputationRep:
    I heard lunchtimes are a real killer to get a computer, but the general provision of IT facilities, I'm told, is certainly above average.

Best to take a cheap laptop then you have guaranteed access, and also definite Interwebz access in Halls etc if you buy internet access for about 70 quid.

EDVB

ReputationRep:
    There's competition, yes, and they all run Windows 2000. The Science Library has hundreds and they're nearly all full at lunchtimes. You're a Maths student so you won't need to go into the main library, but the provision there really is ****.

Take a dirt cheap laptop and if possible a printer as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ExDeusVenitBritannia)
    Best to take a cheap laptop then you have guaranteed access, and also definite Interwebz access in Halls etc if you buy internet access for about 70 quid.

EDVB
    is that £70 per year?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazycat52)
    is that £70 per year?
    Indeed.

ReputationRep:
    If you go to the library quickly after your lectures end, you can normally snap up a computer from all those who left to go to theirs. but generally there are enough - queues can be bad but they normally move quite quickly.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.