Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

New York Hostels. So many to choose from?! Watch

ReputationRep:
    Heading over to the US in a couple of weeks and have yet to book a hostel for when i get to NYC.

I think i have narrowed it down to 3 choices but would be very grateful if anyone on here has personal experience with any of these places.

The 4 i've narrowed it down to are HI New York, Tone on Lex, Jazz in the City and New York Loft Hostel.

The Loft Hostel looks good and quite social but is it a pain getting into times square and all the main tourist spots. I've never been to NYC before so want to do all of the normal touristy stuff and then maybe head out for a few beers with some other travellers in the evening.

Any suggestions much appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    The HI is the most expensive of the lot I think, because it's the biggest and baddest.

It's not on your list, but I stayed at the L Hostel on 118 St. I can recommend it as it was $20 a night when I went.

I saw a mention of beer. I hope you're 21

ReputationRep:
    I'm 21 and very glad that i am! Will take a look at the L hostel, did it have a good atmosphere? Did the owners there organise any nights out?

ReputationRep:
    Just saw this and am interested because I'm hoping to go travelling in the USA next year at some point. Having stayed in Hostels around Europe... good god those are posh! American standards are high! That L Hostel looks like a 4 star hotel! And not expensive either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tek290)
    I'm 21 and very glad that i am! Will take a look at the L hostel, did it have a good atmosphere? Did the owners there organise any nights out?
    Not the owners, but the people staying there are very much the fun loving type. I was lucky to find someone there who I'm still in touch with now. Only tip is that it's in Harlem which can be intimidating at first, but after a day it's okay. Also ignore their address, they say that they're at 1961 7 Av but everyone just said the corner of Adam Clayton Powell Jr. Blvd and 118 St.

(Original post by Dionysus)
    Just saw this and am interested because I'm hoping to go travelling in the USA next year at some point. Having stayed in Hostels around Europe... good god those are posh! American standards are high! That L Hostel looks like a 4 star hotel! And not expensive either.
    There was a fully fitted kitchen in my room, for some reason

But yeah you get a free bagel and tea/coffee for breakfast and they sell non-breakfast food at reasonable prices. Bananas are $1 though D:

ReputationRep:
    go to white castle!

ReputationRep:
    you can get flats really cheap there- but if your on your own you might prefer hostel

ReputationRep:
    I just booked flights and a week @ L Hostel for under £450. Travelling solo and can't wait =D 23rd September I arrive!

I'll post my thoughts upon return - if anyone else is going at the same time drop me a pm =D :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yazoo)
    you can get flats really cheap there- but if your on your own you might prefer hostel
    How?!? :p:

I kind of wanted a single room, because I plan to buy loads and I don't think a dorm is going to have enough lockers for it!

Anyone know any cheap singles anywhere? Can't seem to find any (probably aren't!)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.