Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering how many people in Scotland get (a) 3As (b) 4As at advanced higher.

ReputationRep:
    Well, a quite a few of my friends have gotten 3As or 4As at AH. I got 3As at AH and A for a Higher this year, which is quite common at my school. Although ours is quite a strict school who is obsessed with their reputation hehe.
    It's definetly possible.

ReputationRep:
    In 2008 (2009 stats aren't up yet), 349 candidates (3%) got 3As and 45 (0.3%) got 4As. Someone passed 5 AHs, but didn't get 5As. I wouldn't be surprised if, this year, I know everyone who got 5 As (Meteorshower and a guy from my year).

ReputationRep:
    Generally it's not that many, generally it seems to be about 100 people taking 4 AH's and about 50 people getting 4 A's. 5 A's is usually 1 or 2 a year, and there's never (according to the SQA) been more than that.

3 A's varies a bit, but I think it's climbing slowly.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Meteorshower)
    Generally it's not that many, generally it seems to be about 100 people taking 4 AH's and about 50 people getting 4 A's. 5 A's is usually 1 or 2 a year, and there's never (according to the SQA) been more than that.

3 A's varies a bit, but I think it's climbing slowly.
    CALLING METEORSHOWER.
    If you have the grades to get into uni next year, do they prefer you doing more highers and widening your range of knowledge or focusing on Advanced highers?

And meteorshower is the only person I've heard with 5 AH A's.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kirsteneg)
    CALLING METEORSHOWER.
    If you have the grades to get into uni next year, do they prefer you doing more highers and widening your range of knowledge or focusing on Advanced highers?

And meteorshower is the only person I've heard with 5 AH A's.
    I can't speak for all universities, but as far as I'm either or is usually fine. Personally, I would recommend a mixture of both if you're unsure. Doing at least one AH is good preparation for the standard of work required at uni (I hope :p:)
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I can't speak for all universities, but as far as I'm either or is usually fine. Personally, I would recommend a mixture of both if you're unsure. Doing at least one AH is good preparation for the standard of work required at uni (I hope :p:)
    Well I'm doing AH English, Biology, Music and Higher Psychology and I got the grades(or more than the grades) to do any sciences or english lit at uni so would you say my subject choices are reasonable or change on AH for another Higher?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kirsteneg)
    Well I'm doing AH English, Biology, Music and Higher Psychology and I got the grades(or more than the grades) to do any sciences or english lit at uni so would you say my subject choices are reasonable or change on AH for another Higher?
    Your subjects are absolutely fine, assuming they are the ones you want to do. If you feel it's too much, you could switch an AH for a H but otherwise, go for it :cool:

ReputationRep:
    A mate of mine got 3A's and a B in French, I offered to help countless times as it's piss easy.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Your subjects are absolutely fine, assuming they are the ones you want to do. If you feel it's too much, you could switch an AH for a H but otherwise, go for it :cool:
    Thanks

Also, the SQA probably won't put up the info for 2009 until after appeals unless they do a pre appeals one to.

ReputationRep:
    One of my friends got 4 A's at AH last year. He's on TSR actually and is found hovering around the maths subforum
    And my best friend got 3 AH's this year at A in English, Modern Studies and Classics, all this year.

ReputationRep:
    How come all of you are allowed to do 4AH's? Our school only allow a maximum of 3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Enzo-259)
    How come all of you are allowed to do 4AH's? Our school only allow a maximum of 3
    Ours too - my year head almost exploded with rage at the idea that someone do 3 AHs and a higher. My friend Zoe and I only managed to get to do 4 because we did a sneaky and attended the joint Chemistry/Physics class pretending to each teacher we were taking their subject, not that it mattered at all as we were selfteaching ourselves it all anyway. When the senior management team found out we got into a ******** of trouble and they tried several times to make us quit one.

I got AAAB and she got ABCC.

The closest grades out of anyone else was a girl doing 3 AHs and got AAB.

I'm not sure about anyone else, but whoever tells you that 3/4 AHs require you to be some sort of machine are completely lying. 3 of mine were self-taught, and even then I just coasted by on what I basically found in the Scholar summaries before tests and had a skim through the books before the exams. Lol, if only I had applied myself... (Edit: this is a joke, I am content with my coasted grades haha)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Asymptote)
    Ours too - my year head almost exploded with rage at the idea that someone do 3 AHs and a higher. My friend Zoe and I only managed to get to do 4 because we did a sneaky and attended the joint Chemistry/Physics class pretending to each teacher we were taking their subject, not that it mattered at all as we were selfteaching ourselves it all anyway. When the senior management team found out we got into a ******** of trouble and they tried several times to make us quit one.

I got AAAB and she got ABCC.

The closest grades out of anyone else was a girl doing 3 AHs and got AAB.

I'm not sure about anyone else, but whoever tells you that 3/4 AHs require you to be some sort of machine are completely lying. 3 of mine were self-taught, and even then I just coasted by on what I basically found in the Scholar summaries before tests and had a skim through the books before the exams. Lol, if only I had applied myself... (Edit: this is a joke, I am content with my coasted grades haha)
    Your year head sounds like a total... ehm.. you know.

Why shouldn't he encourage his pupils to do the best they can and challenge themseles? God forbid it may not be good for his statistics.

ReputationRep:
    I'm only doin 2AHs next year because I can't be bothered making my last year very stressful, particularly when I'm not going to apply for any English unis.

ReputationRep:
    I plan to do 5, biology, chemistry, physics, art and chinese (but im chinese anyway so thats kind of like cheating)

But my school will only let me take 3, when the time comes, im going to make them let me take art!!!

Anyone know how to self-teach a subject?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spacepirate-James)
    I plan to do 5, biology, chemistry, physics, art and chinese (but im chinese anyway so thats kind of like cheating)

But my school will only let me take 3, when the time comes, im going to make them let me take art!!!

That would depend on which subject you intend to self-teach.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Asymptote)
    That would depend on which subject you intend to self-teach.
    well im going to be selfteaching chinese anyway.
    But if my school only lets me take 3 then i might self teach art as well??

Or the easier one?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spacepirate-James)

I done AH Art and found the work load hectic, at my school i was the only one who got submitted out of 8 people If your willing to put time and effort in you should do well, self teaching shouldn't be a problem as it's independant study and I'm sure an art teacher would give some advice anyway.

It was a really enjoyable course and skill developer - are you wanting to do anything with art once you finish school?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rosie9391)
    I done AH Art and found the work load hectic, at my school i was the only one who got submitted out of 8 people If your willing to put time and effort in you should do well, self teaching shouldn't be a problem as it's independant study and I'm sure an art teacher would give some advice anyway.

It was a really enjoyable course and skill developer - are you wanting to do anything with art once you finish school?
    :blush: actually no, i want to do medicine :p:

I just love to paint/draw and really enjoyed standard grade, i just like to do art as its relaxing :woo:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.