Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand what to do if you want so self teach a subject. Do you just tell the school you want to do the exam and can they actually stop you from taking it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spacepirate-James)
    :blush: actually no, i want to do medicine :p:

I just love to paint/draw and really enjoyed standard grade, i just like to do art as its relaxing :woo:
    Same as me then You learn so many new techniques at AH and your style changes, I would recommend it if your willing to put the work in but don't let your other subjects which are more important to medicine suffer :yes:

Does any colleges near you offer courses in art? I got to do Life Drawing last year too - this type of things would be good if your school didn't let you take it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Enzo-259)
    I don't understand what to do if you want so self teach a subject. Do you just tell the school you want to do the exam and can they actually stop you from taking it?
    i dont know... well i decided to self-teach chinese, so i didnt go to the classes but just asked the teacher occasionally. And in the end i just sat the exam in the school.

I dont think the school can stop you from taking a self-taught subject, but if you're doing a subject not on the school curriculum you have to do the exams/NABS at certain schools that allow you to do that...

If that makes sense..:eek3:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    How come all of you are allowed to do 4AH's? Our school only allow a maximum of 3
    Our school only let you do 3AH and nothing else with that and even then they're reluctant. I don't think they've realised yet that I'm doing 3AH and a Higher. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kirsteneg)
    Our school only let you do 3AH and nothing else with that and even then they're reluctant. I don't think they've realised yet that I'm doing 3AH and a Higher. :cool:
    Be prepared for them to come down on you like a tonne of bricks when they realise if they're anything like my school

ReputationRep:
    As far as I was aware, a school cannot force you against your will to stop a subject once you've started it, but they can at their discretion not let you take a subject in the first place if it's deemed "in your academic best interests."

This is how I managed to get to do 4 AHs, I tricked them into letting me start all 4 so when they realised there was nothing they could really do.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Asymptote)
    Be prepared for them to come down on you like a tonne of bricks when they realise if they're anything like my school
    Yeah I know. I think they made someone in my year drop one of their AH for a Higher when they realised he was doing 3 AH.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kirsteneg)
    Yeah I know. I think they made someone in my year drop one of their AH for a Higher when they realised he was doing 3 AH.
    That's pretty harsh! Did he not have good highers or something?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    My boyfriend's cousin got 3 As and a B - she's appealing over the B because her teacher died halfway through the year. Are AHs much harder than A Levels if virtually no-one does 5?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by felt_monkey)
    My boyfriend's cousin got 3 As and a B - she's appealing over the B because her teacher died halfway through the year. Are AHs much harder than A Levels if virtually no-one does 5?
    I will quote a scene from the Oxford open day.

Lecturer: "I assume all you boys who are on your gap years have your 3 As at A level?"

Posh Boys: "*snerk* Of course! Five ,actually."

Lecturer: "That won't get you everywhere, but good. *points over* Scottish students however, you'll be studying Advanced Highers this upcoming year yes?"

Scottish Students: "Yes."

Lecturer: "Good, good. I hazard at 3, which is the standard is it not?"

Scottish Students: "Yes *feeling kind of dumb amongst these English private school boys snerking at how we only do three and they've done five*"

Lecturer: "You'll need a minimum of AAB in those, then."

Posh Boy: "*banging fist on table amongst a babble of disgruntled whispers* Outrage! Why on heaven's earth do they get in easier? Why do they get an advantage?"

Lecturer: "*Raging* You silly boy, you fail to realise the reality of the Scottish Advanced Higher! You may sit and laugh at their achievements in only three subjects, but remember this - Advanced Higher are more difficult than relatively petty A-levels! It is of a much higher standard and much more difficult to complete!"

Not my words. His.

ReputationRep:
    I will quote a scene from the Oxford open day.

Lecturer: "I assume all you boys who are on your gap years have your 3 As at A level?"

Posh Boys: "*snerk* Of course! Five ,actually."

Lecturer: "That won't get you everywhere, but good. *points over* Scottish students however, you'll be studying Advanced Highers this upcoming year yes?"

Scottish Students: "Yes."

Lecturer: "Good, good. I hazard at 3, which is the standard is it not?"

Scottish Students: "Yes *feeling kind of dumb amongst these English private school boys snerking at how we only do three and they've done five*"

Lecturer: "You'll need a minimum of AAB in those, then."

Posh Boy: "*banging fist on table amongst a babble of disgruntled whispers* Outrage! Why on heaven's earth do they get in easier? Why do they get an advantage?"

Lecturer: "*Raging* You silly boy, you fail to realise the reality of the Scottish Advanced Higher! You may sit and laugh at their achievements in only three subjects, but remember this - Advanced Higher are more difficult than relatively petty A-levels! It is of a much higher standard and much more difficult to complete!"

Not my words. His.
    U BEING SERIOUS!!! :woo: :eek3:

haha thats funny ... wooooo

ReputationRep:
    U BEING SERIOUS!!! :woo: :eek3:

haha thats funny ... wooooo
    I am being very serious.

Those posh boys weren't very nice though. They later said something to each other about how disgusting all state school pupils were, clogging up our country with benefit-thieving scum. I take great offence to that remark!

ReputationRep:
    I am being very serious.

Those posh boys weren't very nice though. They later said something to each other about how disgusting all state school pupils were, clogging up our country with benefit-thieving scum. I take great offence to that remark!
    that wasnt very good... although i go to a private school, and who knows im probably very posh myself No but seriously some people...

Can i ask, was this a general open day? or subject one? or college on? im just sooo confused about oxbridge open days :P
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    That's pretty harsh! Did he not have good highers or something?
    He did some Int 2 as well as highers this last year.

ReputationRep:
    that wasnt very good... although i go to a private school, and who knows im probably very posh myself No but seriously some people...

Can i ask, was this a general open day? or subject one? or college on? im just sooo confused about oxbridge open days :P
    Yeah - it's all very confusing. It was the general open day - I think it's probably much better than subject/college open days because it's really casual and you get to see everything and appraise what you think of the university as a whole as well as the niches of what you want to do.

Personally, I don't want to go there. I mean, all the students who go there are clearly delighted and love being there, but the atmosphere just wasn't for me. It's easy to get caught up in the grandeur and the reputation and "Oh, Oxbridge" and I admit I did, but meh... it's not really for me, I don't think : D

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all the replies. I've already done my advanced highers so I started this thread out of curiosity I got AAA for History, English and Biology and B for Art, which I plan to appeal.

ReputationRep:
    A lot of people I've asked have said that Advanced Highers really aren't too difficult. If A levels are much easier they must be a walk in the park!

ReputationRep:
    Oxbridge is the reserve of rich scum, to be blunt.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TimmyVermicelli)
    Oxbridge is the reserve of rich scum, to be blunt.
    Absolute rubbish.

With my school i'm fairly sure management didn't realise I was doing more than 3 til after prelims, at which point i'd shown I could handle them. My advice to those whose school policy doesn't allow more than 3 - fight your case!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Meteorshower)
    Absolute rubbish.

With my school i'm fairly sure management didn't realise I was doing more than 3 til after prelims, at which point i'd shown I could handle them. My advice to those whose school policy doesn't allow more than 3 - fight your case!
    Don't worry, I will!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.