Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Fat loss - but seemingly only on one side? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi, apologies if this subject has been breached elsewhere on this forum, but I couldn't see anything anywhere.

I have been doing a lot of cardio work over the last 6 weeks combined with a very low fat diet (15 grams or so a day) and no alcohol to start getting rid of about 3 years of abuse. Whilst I've never been a guy with huge muscles, I used to be at a reasonable standard of boxing and was always quite lean - hence why my exercise and diet routine has revolved around trying to lower my body fat percentage rather than doing weights. Although I do understand weightlifting is a very effective way of burning fat also, I personally don't enjoy it and therefore think it's not as effective as cardio as I don't push myself as hard as I should do with weights in my hand.

But basically im a bit confuddled by the fact I seem to be losing body fat faster on my left hand side than my right. What I mean by this, is if you were to draw a line between my nose and belly button, on the left hand side my abs are exposed (though not defined yet), and I've lost most of the fat off the left hip. However, on the right hand side, my abs are barely visible at all, and I would say I have around 2-3 cm's more fat on my right hip. :confused:

My exercise routine basically consists of a 3 mile jog daily, 10 minutes of HIIT with a skipping rope daily, and cycling (fairly leisurely) 20 miles or so 3 times a week.

Having looked back over pictures of when i was in shape, I wasnt any more defined on the left side than the right, so I really don't get it.

If anyone can explain why this is happening, whether it will rectify itself over the next couple of months ( to avoid ending up looking like a lopsided stroke victim ), or whether theres any action I can take to sort it out, I would appreciate it.

ReputationRep:
    Blazing smoke?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by No Future)
    Blazing smoke?
    Yeah, honestly if anyone has problems with HIIT come to Basingstoke, fleeing from muggers for 10 minutes a day is pretty good as well.

ReputationRep:
    From the sounds of it your left side is dominant (maybe you're left handed?), so the muscles on that side are slightly stronger and slightly bigger. Do more unilateral exercises if you want to even out your physique.

Eat more fat, it's an essential requirement and getting more of the right sorts can aid fat loss and improve your health. Cutting fat from your diet does not equate to fat loss.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ch0c0h01ic)
    From the sounds of it your left side is dominant (maybe you're left handed?), so the muscles on that side are slightly stronger and slightly bigger. Do more unilateral exercises if you want to even out your physique.

Eat more fat, it's an essential requirement and getting more of the right sorts can aid fat loss and improve your health. Cutting fat from your diet does not equate to fat loss.
    Oddly im right handed but yeah the only think I could think of was having spent more time working on my left hand back in the day as obviously it was weaker so maybe thats had an effect but still dont understand why i've got fat stuck like **** to a blanket to my right hip lol. Thankyou for the advice though, will look at doing some more unilateral exercise as you suggest . On the subject of nutrition however I think its something which varies very much on the particular person - whilst i'm aware of requirements of essential fats for the body which I'm probably neglecting slightly at the moment in all honesty, its yielded 2lb- 3lb of weight loss a week sustainably (and frankly carrying the excess weight is gonna have a far more adverse effect in the short and long term than missing out on some Omega 3 and HDL for 3 months or so).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amazingstoke!)
    Oddly im right handed but yeah the only think I could think of was having spent more time working on my left hand back in the day as obviously it was weaker so maybe thats had an effect but still dont understand why i've got fat stuck like **** to a blanket to my right hip lol. Thankyou for the advice though, will look at doing some more unilateral exercise as you suggest . On the subject of nutrition however I think its something which varies very much on the particular person - whilst i'm aware of requirements of essential fats for the body which I'm probably neglecting slightly at the moment in all honesty, its yielded 2lb- 3lb of weight loss a week sustainably (and frankly carrying the excess weight is gonna have a far more adverse effect in the short and long term than missing out on some Omega 3 and HDL for 3 months or so).
    It isn't the lack of fat that's contributing to weight loss. Eat more. Dietary != body. You sound like you're losing weight too quickly anyway, unless you're obese.

ReputationRep:
    Heh, maybe you're like me? I'm right-handed but my left hand is far stronger. Left foot is much weaker than the right, though. God knows why, eh?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brotherhood)
    It isn't the lack of fat that's contributing to weight loss. Eat more. Dietary != body. You sound like you're losing weight too quickly anyway, unless you're obese.
    Nah not obese, despite the fact that BMI is a total crock of **** im nearer the fat end of a healthy weight if that make sense. 2lb - 3lb a week isn't massively quick imo - slow enough not to throw it back on like some stretch mark ridden fad dieting 30 year old ex acid addicted goth anyway.

But would be interested in any diet changes you'ld reccomend? I struggle to understand how reduced fat and calorie intake doesnt aid the loss of fat (of course assuming I'm eating the requisite amount of protein to maintain any muscle mass I have already), but would love any advice .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theciz)
    Heh, maybe you're like me? I'm right-handed but my left hand is far stronger. Left foot is much weaker than the right, though. God knows why, eh?
    Very odd - maybe we both swapped places with our reflections in a mirror :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Very odd - maybe we both swapped places with our reflections in a mirror :eek:
    Lol, I know. I'd blame the genetic weakness I have in my right wrist if I didn't have it in the left one as well. Maybe you lean on your left side more? I always lean on my right leg when I stand and my right thigh is noticeably thinner than the left one. My entire body is a contradiction. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Nah not obese, despite the fact that BMI is a total crock of **** im nearer the fat end of a healthy weight if that make sense. 2lb - 3lb a week isn't massively quick imo - slow enough not to throw it back on like some stretch mark ridden fad dieting 30 year old ex acid addicted goth anyway.

But would be interested in any diet changes you'ld reccomend? I struggle to understand how reduced fat and calorie intake doesnt aid the loss of fat (of course assuming I'm eating the requisite amount of protein to maintain any muscle mass I have already), but would love any advice .
    You are losing weight too fast, you are losing LBM I almost guarantee it. Eating protein isn't enough to maintain on a severe caloric deficit. 1lb a week consistently at your weight is what you should be aiming for, up to a maximum of 2lbs allowing for water.

Of course reduced calorie intake means weight loss, I didn't say that it doesn't, I said reducing fat alone isn't the way to do it and it doesn't mean the exclusive loss of fat that you seem to think. They're called ESSENTIAL fatty acids for a reason. You need balance. You should never be under 10% fat especially on a cut. Just like you shouldn't severely cut carbs or protein, the same with fat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theciz)
    Lol, I know. I'd blame the genetic weakness I have in my right wrist if I didn't have it in the left one as well. Maybe you lean on your left side more? I always lean on my right leg when I stand and my right thigh is noticeably thinner than the left one. My entire body is a contradiction. :rolleyes:
    *Insert obligatory masturbation joke for wrist weakness comment*

So if you try and walk in a straight line, do you end up moving in a perpetual clockwise circle? And if so, surely gradually the problem is just gonna keep getting worse and worse for both of us until eventually, we have to live in detached houses, and all we'll be only be able to walk out of the front door and straight round to the back door?

ReputationRep:
    You are losing weight too fast, you are losing LBM I almost guarantee it. Eating protein isn't enough to maintain on a severe caloric deficit. 1lb a week consistently at your weight is what you should be aiming for, up to a maximum of 2lbs allowing for water.

Of course reduced calorie intake means weight loss, I didn't say that it doesn't, I said reducing fat alone isn't the way to do it and it doesn't mean the exclusive loss of fat that you seem to think. They're called ESSENTIAL fatty acids for a reason. You need balance. You should never be under 10% fat especially on a cut. Just like you shouldn't severely cut carbs or protein, the same with fat.
    Ok, any advice for diet in that case bud? Like I say, I know very little and seemingly my small amount of common sense isnt even getting me through :P.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, any advice for diet in that case bud? Like I say, I know very little and seemingly my small amount of common sense isnt even getting me through :P.
    Eat more good fats for a start. :/

I can't advise you on your diet without seeing your diet or knowing your stats.

ReputationRep:
    Eat more good fats for a start. :/

I can't advise you on your diet without seeing your diet or knowing your stats.
    More good fats would I assume mean substituting out one of my current daily meals for something along the lines of Tuna then?

Anyhow, thanks for the advice

ReputationRep:
    More good fats would I assume mean substituting out one of my current daily meals for something along the lines of Tuna then?

Anyhow, thanks for the advice
    No, just add in more fat. It will bring you closer to a nice 1-2lbs. Olive oil, flax oil, more oily fish (not tuna), peanut butter, nuts, avocado, fish oil caps e.t.c.

ReputationRep:
    No, just add in more fat. It will bring you closer to a nice 1-2lbs. Olive oil, flax oil, more oily fish (not tuna), peanut butter, nuts, avocado, fish oil caps e.t.c.
    Ah, ok bud nice one, cheers for the help

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.