Turn on thread page Beta

hey, please keep anon as people i know use this site, thanks. for the last year or so i've suffered from nightmares and what i think are night terrors in my sleep and they're really beginning to worry me. i often don't remember the night terrors but my sister said she's heard me calling out/screaming in the night before, which i have no recollection of, and twice now i've woken up terrified whilst sharing a bed with my boyfriend, having no idea who he is, even going so far as to get out of bed in my sleep. when other people are involved i usually end up waking, although very disorientated and with no idea where i am for a few moments, for instance one time at university i woke up as i was hammering on my locked door andf screaming because my housemate heard me and was the other side calling to me trying to make sure i was ok.

i think it happens more often then i know because sometimes i wake to find my light is on, like i woke up in the night, switched it on because i was frightened, and fell back to sleep straight away, though i don't remember it. i wake up most nights with a jolt of fear about an hour after i go to sleep but these are usually nightmares as opposed to night terrors. i'm just getting really worried now in case i do something in my sleep without realising, mostly scared i might hurt myself or someone else by sleepwalking or running in my sleep and falling down stairs or something. does anyone else suffer from these?

ReputationRep:
    Have you tried speaking to anyone about it? I'm not sure if there's any treatment but there might be stuff to help you control them? I've come across people with fairly bad nightmares things and they tend to find having a bedtime routine helps them, as does taking some form of herbal sleeping thing like Kalms. Just their way or helping and not saying it sorts it, but something to think about I guess.

ReputationRep:
    I read about these once and apparently it's normally stress related. I agree with what was said before about getting a routine before going to bed to relax a bit maybe.

http://www.nightterrors.org/

This site has info and a messageboard which might be of more help.

ReputationRep:
    Who's been eating cheese before they go to bed...

ReputationRep:
    speak to a psychiatrist

ReputationRep:
    Go to your GP. I've experienced this a few times and it's absolutely terrifying! I wouldn't be able to handle it if I was having it as often as you are, must suck

ReputationRep:
    I have experienced this a few times but not often thankfully because they are extremely scary. There is usually an underlying problem that you are trying to keep bottled in that part of you won't notice. However it is something worth talking to a psychiatrist or a doctor about. A doctor may be able to prescribe a sleeping tablet which stops dreaming altogether, and I guess that you will greatly benefit from

ReputationRep:
    Maybe find an outlet for your night terrors if normal routes don't work.

HR Giger is a famous sufferer of night terrors which he channels into his work...

http://beinart.org/artists/hr-giger/...hr-giger-6.jpg

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/atta...1&d=1249853744
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by atheistwithfaith)
    Maybe find an outlet for your night terrors if normal routes don't work.

HR Giger is a famous sufferer of night terrors which he channels into his work...

http://beinart.org/artists/hr-giger/...hr-giger-6.jpg
    Sooo, that's his **** he's grabbing...

OP, my friend suffers these. As was said earlier, try and establish a relaxation routine before bed, breathing exercises and herbal remedies or whatnot. Failing that, visit to the doc's.

ReputationRep:
    I had a bad dream (when little) where Darth Maul would chase me with his light sabre.
    Scariest thing ever. :yes: Never had 'night terrors' though.

Ever heard of lucid dreaming? You can practise it and learn how to be self aware (to a lesser or greater extent) while asleep. Helps me control dreams now. (seriously cool)

ReputationRep:
    I sometimes wake up in the middle of the night terrified that there is a burgular in the house. If I need the toilet, I feel all scared walking to the toilet thinking there might be someone in the house. Earlier this week I was in a hotel and I was convinced I heard someone pulling the door handle down trying to get into the room but the next morning I realised the handle couldn't be pulled down from the outside so I must of dreamt it.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 9, 2009
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.