Turn on thread page Beta

Anyone else on this forum have a member of their family that is a drug addict or "recovering?"

I'm watching this Louis Theroux doc and it actually makes me sick to my stomach.

I'm really struggling with the idea of forgiving my mother for all the stuff she did to me over the years. I just don't know how I'm supposed to let it go and let her away with being so irresponsible and selfish! I googled support forums for the families and all I found were forums for the addicts themselves..it's just so frustrating.

ReputationRep:
    Just a drug or alcohol too?

I struggled to forgive, and I doubt I ever will properly. But with some people something drives them to the problem, and it's easy to forget the pain you're putting others through. There's no excuse, but there's two sides to every coin I've come to realise.

Both, mainly heroin and cannabis.

I understand that there are two sides of every story, but now my mother expects a medal for everything she does. She's the victim! All that crap in the leaflets for addicts, my mother has lapped it up and almost quotes it verbatim and it makes me sick. She hasn't done anything with her life, she nearly dragged me down with her and she expects a thank you?! How can you forgive that?

ReputationRep:
    Oh okay, that's a pain in the arse.

My "parent" was awful years ago and wrecked my childhood, but it a billion times calmer now so I guess it's easier to put behind, but I see it's not quite possible to do that with your issue.

I guess she maybe does need some reassurance, because little things we take for granted may be hard for her. She does need to realise the negative effects it's had on you though, have you tried to sit down and talk things through? Make things easier on each other?

You can't really forgive something that's still going on in my opinion, even if she's past the addiction she's stil using it as an excuse, if that makes any sense.

This post sounds a bit useless, sorry :o:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 9, 2009
  • create my feed
  • edit my feed
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.