Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

It's weird. But I have less fear of aggressive people/yobs than I do of dogs. Though overall I feel less gutsy going out of a night than I did.
    Some guys gave me a ****** sign for looking over in a pub the other day and I didn't stand my ground, I just called it a night and went home.
    Sensible or cowardly, I dunno. But the weirder thing is I am more scared of dogs than people/yobs, even the little dogs, I just have a real fear they'll smelll my fear and go for me, they make me profoundly nervous.

re pub was I weak? Re fear of dogs relative to people , is it common and how is it dealt with?

ReputationRep:
    I think being afraid of dogs is quite common, even little ones. I'm afraid of them and I always try not to act too scared or look them in the eye when I walk past. Sometimes I cross the road.

ReputationRep:
    I'm so scared of dogs, it gets a bit ridiculous sometimes. So what? No one cares that much.

ReputationRep:
    I'm scared of ankle biters but I have a huge dog who I love to bits, even when he takes more than his fair share of the bed!

I have a fear of large dogs more so that small ones, tho i think it was justified as i was chased when i was about 8/9 by an Lab/Alsation. i had to run up a tree otherwise i would have got bit, true story.

and im a guy BTW

ReputationRep:
    I used to be extremely scared of dogs, especially as I got chased by a couple when I was younger and it was a problem when staying over at friends' houses who had dogs. Then I had to live with a dog and my fear eased loads and I started trusting the ones I knew but was still slightly weary of agressive looking dogs like pitbulls and rottweilers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I have a fear of large dogs more so that small ones, tho i think it was justified as i was chased when i was about 8/9 by an Lab/Alsation. i had to run up a tree otherwise i would have got bit, true story.

and im a guy BTW
    I'm the opposite, I'm a lot more scared of small dogs than big dogs. Give me a labrador and I'd be all over him - but I'd **** myself at the sight of a King Charles Cavalier lol They terrify me more than most, I dunno why! I will literally jump up on a table to avoid them (has happened a few times. Once in front of new bf's mother lol).

(Original post by Sprockette)
    I'm the opposite, I'm a lot more scared of small dogs than big dogs. Give me a labrador and I'd be all over him - but I'd **** myself at the sight of a King Charles Cavalier lol They terrify me more than most, I dunno why! I will literally jump up on a table to avoid them (has happened a few times. Once in front of new bf's mother lol).
    Me too-those little pugs scare **** out of me

ReputationRep:
    im not scared of dogs, but i am scared of cats and monkeys

ReputationRep:
    Find a friend with a really friendly dog of the sort you don't like and get to know it. You'll get confidence this way. Hounds are reputed to be the most affectionate dogs, esp Basset Hounds.

ReputationRep:
    I'm scared of dogs as well. There are some I take kindly to though, like golden retrievers, cocker spaniels, labradors and greyhounds. Not so much the rottweiler or the bull terrier kind.

Speaking from personal experience, I find the best way to rid yourself of the fear of those pesky canine creatures is to:
    1) simply take a walk in the park.
    2)Lure a dog with sausage rolls then ..
    3) take out an air gun - WHAM BAM - before you can say pedigree chump you've got a dead dog at your feet. Think how stupid that dog was. Think how (moderately) clever you were. Feel contempt for all dogs. You've cured yourself!

Or just carry a weeny pistol everywhere. Makes you feel much safer.

ReputationRep:
    I am **** scared of dogs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flight409)
    I am **** scared of dogs.
    I couldn't do what Louis Theroux did today. In fact I couldn't go near anyone who owns one. Dunno how to feel clam when I see one.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 9, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.