Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    pls delete

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EinyS)
    I am actually very worried about results day and I think I might have to beg for my place over the phone and convince them why I should be given a chance. Over the past few months I have been around top politicians, I won't name them. I can get hold of testimonials from them, will this help or is it a waste of time?

Thanks
    I don't think they'll be particularly interested in what politicians have to say, so in my opinion it would be a waste of time. To be perfectly honest, I think the phoning and begging in itself is fairly futile as they will have seen your results and made a decision and nothing you can say is likely to budge them on that decision. It may be that they still take you even if you miss your offer, but this will have been decided before-hand. Of course, you can call up if you want to it's worth a try I suppose.

ReputationRep:
    All you'll do is go from an A level failure to a name dropping A level failure.

ReputationRep:
    LOL @ the comments on this thread.

It might be late in this instance but power and money gets people into the best universities.

ReputationRep:
    I doubt strongly it would help. I'd be ashamed of myself if I did that and it got me in to be honest. But by all means try if you think it's worth it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EinyS)
    I am actually very worried about results day and I think I might have to beg for my place over the phone and convince them why I should be given a chance. Over the past few months I have been around top politicians, I won't name them. I can get hold of testimonials from them, will this help or is it a waste of time?

Thanks
    I've been given character references by some top MPs, but I'd NEVER use them to scrape a place on a uni course. It's all about the brain. Not about the name.... ok, names makes sense, but I need name to rhyme.

I'm in your position, but I don't want to use the word of anyone but a teacher who knows me well and appreciates my intellect to get me that place. That's the only thing that matters to academics.

You would look like such a royal arse, let me be the first to tell you.

EDVB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by littleshambles)
    I doubt strongly it would help. I'd be ashamed of myself if I did that and it got me in to be honest. But by all means try if you think it's worth it.
    What the ****, Jo? That's exactly the thing I had you down for. You appreciate your brilliance, and you aint never gunna let slip ups get in your way.

I probably had you down wrong there.

EDVB, expecting a backlash over this.

ReputationRep:
    You might as well get a testimonial from your binmen.

ReputationRep:
    I would have thought that universities would try to stay as far away as possible from any suggestion of politicians influencing admissions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ExDeusVenitBritannia)
    What the fook, Jo? That's exactly the thing I had you down for. You appreciate your brilliance, and you aint never gunna let slip ups get in your way.

I probably had you down wrong there.

EDVB, expecting a backlash over this.
    I don't know what you mean. I wouldn't expect "testimonials from top politicians" to get me into a uni over people (like myself) who hadn't been lucky enough to be spending time around "top politicians" and who are "top politicians" to recommend people to universities anyway? Morally speaking I'm completely against this idea. The only reason I'm telling the OP to try anyway is because if they're not swayed by the moral argument without being told by me then why bother? Let them try if they want, it won't work, and they'll have to live with the secret shame of having coat-tailed in on connections if it does (which it won't).

ReputationRep:
    I doubt it'd do anything.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know what you mean. I wouldn't expect "testimonials from top politicians" to get me into a uni over people (like myself) who hadn't been lucky enough to be spending time around "top politicians" and who are "top politicians" to recommend people to universities anyway? Morally speaking I'm completely against this idea. The only reason I'm telling the OP to try anyway is because if they're not swayed by the moral argument without being told by me then why bother? Let them try if they want, it won't work, and they'll have to live with the secret shame of having coat-tailed in on connections if it does (which it won't).
    I think you're missing the point, which is ok, because I was talking like a retard when I made it.

I was essentially saying that I thought you'd be for this because you're ambitious, though also morally aware, but not above cutting a few corners if things pan out as they should.

I was saying you'll be successful. You're one to watch.

EDVB, digging a hole.

ReputationRep:
    I think you're missing the point, which is ok, because I was talking like a retard when I made it.

I was essentially saying that I thought you'd be for this because you're ambitious, though also morally aware, but not above cutting a few corners if things pan out as they should.

I was saying you'll be successful. You're one to watch.

EDVB, digging a hole.
    OH. Haha.

Perhaps but I pride myself on my academic, um, integrity. And my hatred for politicians.

ReputationRep:
    OH. Haha.

Perhaps but I pride myself on my academic, um, integrity. And my hatred for politicians.
    I bet if I gave you an election victory, just like that (in the North korea style), you'd take the MPship and maybe even learn to love it.

I think you just wanna make the world a better place, and you haven't just decided how you're gunna do it yet.

Amirite?

EDVB, happy to have cleared up his infelicity/ies of expression.

ReputationRep:
    I bet if I gave you an election victory, just like that (in the North korea style), you'd take the MPship and maybe even learn to love it.

I think you just wanna make the world a better place, and you haven't just decided how you're gunna do it yet.

Amirite?

EDVB, happy to have cleared up his infelicity/ies of expression.
    Perhaps, perhaps :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    Ok, thanks guys. I'll just hope for the best then. Good luck to everyone!

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.