Turn on thread page Beta

I lie to the people i love. Im in such a mess :( watch

I know how stupid this sounds, but i just can't stop. They are pathetic lies. What i would call sympathy lies i guess. I dont want sympathy though. Its weird. I am a very shy person and don;t like attention at all. But i guess they are for attention, just really personal one on one kind of attention. There are normally truths behind them though. The people i lie to wouldnt know i was lying, they are convincing. I just want to stop but i can't.

Part of the reason i think i do it is because i haven't had the closeness and attention of a parent. I experienced child abuse and neglect growing up and i would say they were linked.

Argh i dont know why ive written this. I just dont like doing it anymore. :sad:

ReputationRep:
    well you know why you are doing it. So maybe take it slowly and every time you tell a small lie or a taller tale than it was make yourself go without something you like or want for a week and soon your mind will associate that you are losing out.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe you should think about seeing a counsellor about this? They might be able to help you find techniques to combat it.

I've been seeing a counsellor myself at uni (been suffering from sadness over the last few months), and chatting to him has really helped me. :yep:

OP i'm exactly the sme, i lie about my religion, my family, where iI'm from, what i do in the summer, EVERYTHING - that's the only reason I'm so popular

hehe

ReputationRep:
    Counselling might be an idea as other people have suggested. There are clearly psychological issues behind what you're doing- it's not malicious

Just think before you lie, why don't I just tell the truth. 9 times out of 10 it will be the simplest and easiest method.

ReputationRep:
    lol

ReputationRep:
    a web of carefully constructed lies is what gets me by

I dont think i could really go and see a councellor. The only way to do it would be to go through a doctor and i can't really see myself going and saying my problem is lying

I have tried so many times to stop and i think to myself to actively not do it, but then it just comes out without even thinking about it. Its only in hindsight i see what i said and kick myself. I like the idea of taking something away everytime i lie. I might try that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I dont think i could really go and see a councellor. The only way to do it would be to go through a doctor and i can't really see myself going and saying my problem is lying
    Surely if the problem is bothering you enough to want to post here, it's worth seeing a counsellor for? :curious: I actually got access to my own counsellor through the mental health adviser at uni -- though admittedly, it's probably much easier for me, since I commutted to uni, and hence can still see him even after having graduated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I know how stupid this sounds, but i just can't stop. They are pathetic lies. What i would call sympathy lies i guess. I dont want sympathy though. Its weird. I am a very shy person and don;t like attention at all. But i guess they are for attention, just really personal one on one kind of attention. There are normally truths behind them though. The people i lie to wouldnt know i was lying, they are convincing. I just want to stop but i can't.

Part of the reason i think i do it is because i haven't had the closeness and attention of a parent. I experienced child abuse and neglect growing up and i would say they were linked.

Argh i dont know why ive written this. I just dont like doing it anymore. :sad:
    How do we know you are telling the truth in this post :hmmm:

Just come clean. It won't be easy but I'm sure most people will understand. If they don't then you have learned something valuable about them anyway.

ReputationRep:
    You need a creative outlet for your lies. Write stories?

ReputationRep:
    you ARE a mess

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 9, 2009

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.