Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why do I keep getting mouth ulcers? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I had one on the inside right of my lower lip last week, yet since the past couple of days I have 2 major ulcers in the inside left of the lower lip! :mad:

It is very uncomfortable, I cannot even open my mouth properly to eat, and all my drink has to be sucked through a straw on the oppsite side.

I applied Corsodyl dental gel tonight but tbh I've given up. It's two weeks now without anything getting better. I dont even remember what its like to have a normal mouth now.

I cannot even brush my teeth on the bottom set, as the brush touches the ulcers.

ReputationRep:
    I get enough of them, Bonjela helps. It numbs it, have you tried it?

ReputationRep:
    Normally it's from either too much sugar, or stress! Try Bonjela, it works wonders. Or gargling salt water, although that's slightly more painful. Try reducing how much sugar you eat? Some people are just more prone to ulcers than others.

ReputationRep:
    i dont know. i know that i always get them when im eating really unhealthy. they always seemed to appear when i had a load of chocolate to eat, and finally i realised that was the link :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BossManSingh)
    I get enough of them, Bonjela helps. It numbs it, have you tried it?
    I will try tomorrow. But how do you apply it? I cannot touch the ulcers, they are too painful (it feels like a really bad tooth ache in my mouth), so I cannot 'rub it in', as it were. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel)
    I had one on the inside right of my lower lip last week, yet since the past couple of days I have 2 major ulcers in the inside left of the lower lip! :mad:

It is very uncomfortable, I cannot even open my mouth properly to eat, and all my drink has to be sucked through a straw on the oppsite side.

I applied Corsodyl dental gel tonight but tbh I've given up. It's two weeks now without anything getting better. I dont even remember what its like to have a normal mouth now.

I cannot even brush my teeth on the bottom set, as the brush touches the ulcers.
    Try Frador, it's amazing! It stings like a ***** when you put it on, but I find when I use it the ulcer goes within 24 hours. It's about £2.50 so it's quite cheap compared to some of these new things that are out.

ReputationRep:
    Normally youget thm when you're stressed or run don, take a multi-vit a lots more fruitand veg into your diet, maybe smoothies and homemade soup if its too sore to chew

ReputationRep:
    Stress? Too much junk food? Tiredness?

Bonjela is ace and tastes amazing too :coma:

ReputationRep:
    I get them when im run down, tired or getting ill, i used to suffer big time with them so i feel your pain.

+1 for bonjella, you dont have to rub it in, you can just place it on top of the ulcer. Taste quite nice aswell.

ReputationRep:
    You're really run down.

Use bonjella and if you can't eat try drinking some ice cold water before your meal.

I had KILLER ulcers up until a few weeks ago so I know how bad they can get! My mum was ready to take me to the doctors and then they went away.

As it's been two weeks + i'd recommend going to your doctors as this is the advice given on the NHS website - ulcers are often a sign of another underlying illness/problem and the only way to stop them is to find out what's causing/agitating them

Good luck :yy: :console:

ReputationRep:
    I get them so badly during exams. It's always stress with me, I had about 10 during my A-Levels! I now use Corsodyl daily, and bongela if something comes up!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel)
    I will try tomorrow. But how do you apply it? I cannot touch the ulcers, they are too painful (it feels like a really bad tooth ache in my mouth), so I cannot 'rub it in', as it were. :confused:
    It will probably be painful at first (few second stinging) but believe me it will turn numb in no time and it will feel much better. Reapply it every few hours.

ReputationRep:
    You might be anaemic.

ReputationRep:
    Pah, getting two is nothing. I used to get 7 at a time, usually once or twice a month. Wusses the lot of you.

ReputationRep:
    Do you bite the inside of your mouth?

Ulcers can also be caused by stress. Results coming up that you're anxious about?

ReputationRep:
    stress

i always get them before exams or if i have too much salt in my diet eg salted popcorn from cinemas tends to cause me to have ulcers

but bonjela is the cure my freind

ReputationRep:
    Lack of Vitamin C/ too much oily food. ie. crisps!

ReputationRep:
    I get them all the time, try this

http://www.mouth-ulcer.co.uk/bonjela_once/index.php

works wonders, even if it is expensive, and hurts like hell putting it on :p:

ReputationRep:
    I know where you're coming from with the immense pain. Stress and abrasions in my mouth are normal causes. My dentist said that hormone levels also cause it. She recommended "Adcortyl in orabase" which you can buy over the counter at pharmacy. Brill stuff.

ReputationRep:
    If I were an American Baptist minister, I'd say it was because you kiss too many whores, and you have sinned! I would rant and rave at you in my sermons, and I'd talk in gibberish to scare the temptation to sin from your soul.

I'm not an American Baptist minister, because I believe in the Big Bang Theory, as a show and a scientific concept, so I'm just throwing it out there: you don't brush your teeth enough and you keep biting your lips etc. Or you somehow get germs into your mouth, by dirty glasses for example. It's all about the germs.

EDVB, preaching about oral hi Gene.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 11, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.