Turn on thread page Beta

Why do I keep getting mouth ulcers? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ExDeusVenitBritannia)
    If I were an American Baptist minister, I'd say it was because you kiss too many whores, and you have sinned! I would rant and rave at you in my sermons, and I'd talk in gibberish to scare the temptation to sin from your soul.

I'm not an American Baptist minister, because I believe in the Big Bang Theory, as a show and a scientific concept, so I'm just throwing it out there: you don't brush your teeth enough and you keep biting your lips etc. Or you somehow get germs into your mouth, by dirty glasses for example. It's all about the germs.

EDVB, preaching about oral hi Gene.
    No it's not, according to my last 3 dentists.

ReputationRep:
    I keep getting them too... I think it must be diet. Haven't been extremely healthy lately. Or maybe lack of sleep? Hmm

ReputationRep:
    Eat lots of fruit, don't drink a lot of coke or other fizzy drinks, and get lots of sleep.

I get them sometimes, they're always caused by stress and/or not enough fruit.

ReputationRep:
    Your mouth is full of nerves- an ulcer is simply a wound and so the nerves are directly in contact with whatever you eat/do- hence why it hurts so much.

I personally leave them to get better- they do go away eventually- eating healthily helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BigDave56)
    No it's not, according to my last 3 dentists.
    You go through dentists like the OP goes through ulcers.

Zinger.

But seriously, that's what it is. Atleast some of the time. Often when I use dirty glasses, as provided abroad by lazy bartenders, it happens to me.

A correlation, see?

EDVB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ExDeusVenitBritannia)
    You go through dentists like the OP goes through ulcers.

Zinger.

But seriously, that's what it is. Atleast some of the time. Often when I use dirty glasses, as provided abroad by lazy bartenders, it happens to me.

A correlation, see?

EDVB
    LOL. The reason for the dentists is that they start off as NHS and then go private!

ReputationRep:
    Probably either vitamin deficiency and/or some sort of infection (viral/bacterial/fungal).

Try using an anti-bacterial mouth wash, TCP is my favourite

ReputationRep:
    Ive just had a killer ulcer under my top lip, the only thing that id done differently before was drink loads of coke, so i blame the sugar.

ReputationRep:
    If you haven't changed eating/drinking habits recently it could be down to stress, are you worried about exam results or anything? I had about 4 at one point during exam period. Ouch.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by member101)
    You might be anaemic.
    This is why I got them, went away when I started to take iron tablets

ReputationRep:
    too much kissing :P

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Isambard Kingdom Brunel]I had one on the inside right of my lower lip last week, yet since the past couple of days I have 2 major ulcers in the inside left of the lower lip! :mad:

It is very uncomfortable, I cannot even open my mouth properly to eat, and all my drink has to be sucked through a straw on the oppsite side.

I applied Corsodyl dental gel tonight but tbh I've given up. It's two weeks now without anything getting better. I dont even remember what its like to have a normal mouth now.

I cannot even brush my teeth on the bottom set, as the brush touches the ulcers.[/QUOTE]

Doggers.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OhNO!)
    Eat lots of fruit, don't drink a lot of coke or other fizzy drinks, and get lots of sleep.

I get them sometimes, they're always caused by stress and/or not enough fruit.
    Some fruit can actually be bad for an ulcer.

Avoid all acidic fruits such as pineapples as these will make it worse.

Also avoid any form of carbonated drinks.

I find Bonjela to be little more then a temporary pain relief. Other have recommended rinsing your mouth with salt water as that can help but will hurt like hell.

The ultimate way to remove an ulcer is Bonjela Once. http://www.mouth-ulcer.co.uk/bonjela_once/index.php

this stuff will literally nuke any mouth ulcer. Ive only ever used it once on an ulcer that I had for over 2 weeks and would not go away. Blasted it with this stuff and it was gone the next day. but be *warned* when you put that stuff on it, it will hurt like hell, garenteed.

ReputationRep:
    It's not eating sugary stuff (as mummy told me, and lied) it can actually be due to stress - i get them when i'm run down and/or stressed.

Bonjela is a god send, it really does work. :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BigDave56)
    I know where you're coming from with the immense pain. Stress and abrasions in my mouth are normal causes. My dentist said that hormone levels also cause it. She recommended "Adcortyl in orabase" which you can buy over the counter at pharmacy. Brill stuff.

I agree- this stuff is great. Frador too (but be prepared for it to sting like hell when you put it on!)

I've suffered from mouth ulcers for as long as I can remember.. I think I even had them when I was like 2. I eat pretty healthily, so I don't think it's caused by bad diet.. I often get them when I'm a bit run down, although my doctor suggested I could be a bit anaemic too. This website's got some other possible causes:

http://www.mouthulcers.org/

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 11, 2009
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.