Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is this a mistake or am I not getting it or something? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm on Wiki's page for Palestine:

Palestine (Greek: Παλαιστίνη, Palaistinē; Latin: Palaestina; Hebrew: ארץ־ישראל‎, Ereẓ Yisra'el; formerly also פלשׂתינה, Palestina; Arabic: فلسطين‎ Filasṭīn, Falasṭīn, Filisṭīn)

Hebrew: Erez Yisra'el

First: Is that a typo for Eretz Yisrael? I googled Erez and it keeps trying to go back to Eretz, plus I've never hearf of Erez Yisrael, only Eretz.

Second: Why would Palestine be known as Erez Yisrael? That means 'land of Israel', but Palestine was known as Palestine since Roman times... no?

Well confused.

ReputationRep:
    I would imagine it might have something to do with this:

(Original post by Wikipedia)
    Some other terms that have been used to refer to all or part of this land include Canaan, Greater Israel, Greater Syria, the Holy Land, Iudaea Province, Judea, Israel, "Israel HaShlema", Kingdom of Israel, Kingdom of Jerusalem, Land of Israel (Eretz Yisrael or Ha'aretz), Levant, Retenu (Ancient Egyptian), Southern Syria, and Syria Palestina.
    (From the "Origin of Name" section of the Wikipedia article you mentioned).

ReputationRep:
    First its a typo.
    Second doesnt it just say after Erez Yisrael formerly also Palestina.

ReputationRep:
    Was the Hebrew name for the British Mandate, I believe.

ReputationRep:
    Wikipedia pages can be altered and edited by members of the public - thus this may be someones idea of a joke or human error via typo?

Although I'm sure there's some logical reasoning to this.

ReputationRep:
    Because the section of land on which Israel currently stands used to be known as Palestine.

ReputationRep:
    And yes, "Eretz" is how you would speak the word which written in hebrew means "The land of"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Altruistic1)
    Because the section of land on which Israel currently stands used to be known as Palestine.
    :facepalm: O rli... I hadn't quite realised that!

No but srsly... Israel did not exist until 1948, so prior to that it was Palestine. I find it hard to understand why the land of Palestine would ever have been known as the land of Israel, or Eretz Israel, prior to 1948.

ReputationRep:
    And yes, "Eretz" is how you would speak the word which written in hebrew means "The land of"

I know Ererz means "The land of", I was just asking if Erez was a word in Hebrew I didn't know, or if it was infact a poor transliteration.

My Hebrew is understandably rusty.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)

No but srsly... Israel did not exist until 1948, so prior to that it was Palestine. I find it hard to understand why the land of Palestine would ever have been known as the land of Israel, or Eretz Israel, prior to 1948.
    Erm, because it was called Israel before the Romans renamed it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bismarck)
    Erm, before it was called Israel before the Romans renamed it.
    Yeah, I know that. But that goes back a few thousand years.

Between then and 1948 though, it was Palestine. I even said that in my OP.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I know that. But that goes back a few thousand years.

Between then and 1948 though, it was Palestine. I even said that in my OP.
    Presumably at least some Jews wouldn't use the Roman name considering that the sole purpose of the name was to punish the Jews for revolting against Rome.

ReputationRep:

That thing you quoted says nothing about 1948 though? I would think it's just like calling England "Albion" or Albion "England".. exactly the same thing, despite the time of establishment... if that's what you're asking?

And yes, Erez is a hebrew word.. more specifically, a name.

ReputationRep:
    That thing you quoted says nothing about 1948 though? I would think it's just like calling England "Albion" or Albion "England".. exactly the same thing, despite the time of establishment... if that's what you're asking?

And yes, Erez is a hebrew word.. more specifically, a name.

I was just asking why anyone would have called Palestine, Israel, before the creation of Israel. Though I suppose Bismarck has sort of answered.

It doesn't mention 1948... so? It doesn't have to, I don't understand what you mean.

ReputationRep:

I was just asking why anyone would have called Palestine, Israel, before the creation of Israel. Though I suppose Bismarck has sort of answered.

It doesn't mention 1948... so? It doesn't have to, I don't understand what you mean.
    Just remembered the real answer. Eretz Israel is also the Hebrew equivalent to "Greater Israel" (not a direct translation). Those who support the creation of a Greater Israel believe Palestine should be a part of that country.

ReputationRep:
    Just remembered the real answer. Eretz Israel is also the Hebrew equivalent to "Greater Israel" (not a direct translation). Those who support the creation of a Greater Israel believe Palestine should be a part of that country.

So Gaza strip/West bank can be known as Eretz Israel?

ReputationRep:
    So Gaza strip/West bank can be known as Eretz Israel?
    Everything from the original Jewish kingdoms of Israel and Judea would be considered "Eretz Yisrael". That includes modern-day Israel, Palestine, and small parts of Jordan, Egypt, Lebanon, and Syria.

http://www.shunpiking.com/ol0306/ima...aterIsreal.gif

By the way, Erez is spelled with a dot below the z on the wiki, which means it's pronounced "ts" (i.e. same as Eretz).

ReputationRep:
    Everything from the original Jewish kingdoms of Israel and Judea would be considered "Eretz Yisrael". That includes modern-day Israel, Palestine, and small parts of Jordan, Egypt, Lebanon, and Syria.

http://www.shunpiking.com/ol0306/ima...aterIsreal.gif

By the way, Erez is spelled with a dot below the z on the wiki, which means it's pronounced "ts" (i.e. same as Eretz).
    So pretty much Transjordan then.

Gotcha.

ReputationRep:
    So pretty much Transjordan then.

Gotcha.
    Not really. Most of what's now Jordan was not part of the two Jewish kingdoms.

ReputationRep:
    Not really. Most of what's now Jordan was not part of the two Jewish kingdoms.
    Oh.

Really?

My bad... lol my history isn't up to scratch. :o:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.