Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi. Just wondering. Smoking is banned in the rooms in the student village, but a friend of a friend of a friend of a friend () wants to know if it is enforced? Mates at mancheser met get away with smoking weed and stinking the whole halls out. just wondering if the same happens at UWE (If the flatmates dont mind obviously)

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    Unless they have people patrolling the corridors or someone tells on you, no one's going to know.

ReputationRep:
    I presume it's best leaving it for freshers week just in case then. But most people get away with it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mibix)
    I presume it's best leaving it for freshers week just in case then. But most people get away with it?
    Well, your room is your room, you're not going to get people checking up on you in the evening or night... but it's still best to spray deodorant or something in case cleaners/maintenance come in the next day.

In my halls (Cardiff), people would just smoke outside, sometimes in the kitchen, but they'd normally get rid of the smell afterwards.

ReputationRep:
    Smoke weed instead.

ReputationRep:
    Make sure you don't set of the fire alarms as they are very sensitive in many student halls. If you do in some places the fines are big- £200 in my previous halls.

ReputationRep:
    students can get away with anything and unless there is actually someone there then its not enforced.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rizzletastic)
    Smoke weed instead.
    That's what I was implying. Don't wanna get kicked out for smoking some fresh crem de la crem!!

Cheers RightSaidJames, I'll just be vigilant and not stupid.

Just hope they don't sniff it out in the morning. I like a 'wake and bake!'

:yes:

ReputationRep:
    Are the fire alarms that sensitive?

ReputationRep:
    i think that most, well in my experience anyways, are heat sensitive and not smoke sensitive, so if a person smoked in their room it wouldn't be set off.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for setting my mind at ease. It was the only thing seriously worrying me with it being all swanky flats and such!! :p:

ReputationRep:
    I think personally that it's rude if you smoke inside the halls. Especially as the other flatmates have to put up with it. I hope that if my flatmates smoke they do the right thing and go outside.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EagleHawk)
    I think personally that it's rude if you smoke inside the halls. Especially as the other flatmates have to put up with it. I hope that if my flatmates smoke they do the right thing and go outside.
    This.

i would hate to have to put up with walking out of my room and smelling weed or smoke.

ReputationRep:
    tbh you can get away with smoking in the halls, but if you start smoking in your flat and don't get along with a flatmate, they may just tell on you. Best thing to do is smoke out in the courtyards, which are really social and even the non smokers start to feel a bit envious and end up outside chatting to every1!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.