Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Will my upbringing and background put me at an advantage / disadvantage when ... watch

ReputationRep:
    ...applying to University?

Sorry, I've posted two threads in the past 10 minutes, but I've been thinking that because I considering myself quite disadvantaged (Nobody where I live goes to University, I live on a council estate) would I be put at an advantage or a disadvantage when it comes to applying for university?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexdrans)

Sorry, I've posted two threads in the past 10 minutes, but I've been thinking that because I considering myself quite disadvantaged (Nobody where I live goes to University, I live on a council estate) would I be put at an advantage or a disadvantage when it comes to applying for university?
    Not at all. As long as u work hard, know what ur doing and have a target in mind, u'll be fine. Trust me.

ReputationRep:

No. The university won't know that you live on a council estate.

However, you may be eligible for extra grants and stuff if you're from a low income family - which is nice .

To restate it: you won't get any special consideration, positive or negative, for your university applications because of your social background.

ReputationRep:
    well living with people who hasnt gone to uni doesnt? But i dunno, depends on your upbringing? you plan to elaborate a little?

What kind of uni and course u thinking off?

ReputationRep:
    There's a lot of access schemes available for people in your position - http://www.suttontrust.com/ is one i can think of. Universities certainly take into account your school when you apply, and good grades in spite of a bad school can only mean Good Things for you.

ReputationRep:
    If you're thick because of it then it will disadvantage you - and don't let anybody tell you differently.

ReputationRep:
    Nope, as long as your grades are good enough and you come across polite and know your stuff etc.

ReputationRep:
    You'll be put at an advantage. Labour seem hell bent on shoe horning the likes of yourself into university for the sake of social figures. Count yourself lucky, pal.

ReputationRep:
    A disadvantage, but only if you put things like, "Nobody where I live goes to uni" in your PS and they think you expect special treatment. xD

I'm working class. I think you'd be surprised at how many working class people go to university these days. After all, there are those 'lol, never going to live long enough to pay this back' loans these days. :P

ReputationRep:
    If you come from a poorer background you may well be at a positive advantage in some places. The government have stated an interest in giving poorer students a 'grade advantage' whilst other universities have systems in place which use a formula to weight results if you come from a school/postcode that typically has poor results.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/lif...cle6350374.ece

Coming from an area where no-one generally goes to uni will in no way put you at a disadvantage.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to be the eternal optimist and say that you can work it to your advantage - especially if you're quite local to the university.

I mean, you've most likely got a bit of worldly street-wisdom that most other 'well-off' people won't possess. So I'd say that it can certainly be an advantage if you want it to be - provided you get the opportunity to express yoru views in an interview format.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    If you're thick because of it then it will disadvantage you - and don't let anybody tell you differently.
    I'm not "thick", for from it. (No arrogancy intended!)

ReputationRep:
    Thats OK then no problems

ReputationRep:
    Far from it. sorry for the correction

(Original post by atypicalsurreygirl)
    There's a lot of access schemes available for people in your position - http://www.suttontrust.com/ is one i can think of. Universities certainly take into account your school when you apply, and good grades in spite of a bad school can only mean Good Things for you.
    What about bad grades in spite of a good school? :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DarrenClarke)
    Far from it. sorry for the correction
    Oh the irony

ReputationRep:
    no i suppose

but then again oxbridge seem to think of location as an important factor :/

ReputationRep:
    Oh the irony
    Cheer up, Results Day soon

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anon the 7th)
    no i suppose

but then again oxbridge seem to think of location as an important factor :/
    Did they reject you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Did they reject you?
    no (i wasnt good enough grade wise to apply there :p:) but i have two friends both have AAAAA at AS and predicted AAA at A Level in respected subjects and we live in Essex so... ://

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.