Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Will my upbringing and background put me at an advantage / disadvantage when ... Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anon the 7th)
    no but i have two friends both have AAAAA at AS and predicted AAA at A Level in respected subjects and we live in Essex so... ://
    Ahhhhhh yes they reject southern, city commuter belt kids! Not because they are only taking three A Levels forward?

ReputationRep:
    if anything at some uni's it may put you at a advantage, lowing grades, or offers, leeds and st. geoge, the only ones i can thing of that do now, when it comes to background, if its from a school with very low marks, and your marks put you high up in your year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Ahhhhhh yes they reject southern, city commuter belt kids! Not because they are only taking three A Levels forward?
    yeah maybe

although i think one of thems doing another AS

my other friend didnt want the stress of another A-Level

ReputationRep:
    There was an article on the front page of the times today saying that some universities have schemes that pinpoint applicants who live in areas where not many go to uni.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/lif...cle6788798.ece
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    no (i wasnt good enough grade wise to apply there :p:) but i have two friends both have AAAAA at AS and predicted AAA at A Level in respected subjects and we live in Essex so... ://
    :lolwut:

Are you seriously trying to say that you honestly believe your friends got rejected, just because they come from Essex?! :eyeball:

My friend got in and he's from Essex, if that makes you feel any better

ReputationRep:
    I think you will be at an advantage if you are applying to the top universities because the government is putting pressure on the universities to take more "disadvantaged people".
    As long as you don't try and use it as an excuse or anything you should be absolutely fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    :lolwut:

Are you seriously trying to say that you honestly believe your friends got rejected, just because they come from Essex?! :eyeball:

My friend got in and he's from Essex, if that makes you feel any better
    yeah but i bet thats a nicer part of essex

we live in a bit of a rundown part of essex, almost like east london!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    yeah but i bet thats a nicer part of essex

we live in a bit of a rundown part of essex, almost like east london!
    Well I went to a rundown comp in a rundown part of West London (almost like East London). So never fear: us people from rundown areas of the South do get in

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    Well I went to a rundown comp in a rundown part of West London (almost like East London). So never fear: us people from rundown areas of the South do get in
    woo go The_Lonely_Goatherd

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexdrans)
    ...applying to University?

Sorry, I've posted two threads in the past 10 minutes, but I've been thinking that because I considering myself quite disadvantaged (Nobody where I live goes to University, I live on a council estate) would I be put at an advantage or a disadvantage when it comes to applying for university?
    Probably not officially in selection but you might be at a slight disadvantage when it comes to general knowledge of how things go in higher education etc. You're more likely to make a faux pas during an interview due to an ignorance of how university life goes.

Fortunately there are many people here who are well-able to advise you on those kinds of things, so just don't be afraid to ask questions and you'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    I know somebody who grew up on a council estate in one of the poorest areas of the country and got a 2:1 in Philosophy from a very good university and is now going on to study at Masters level!
    Do not despair!

ReputationRep:

Sorry, I've posted two threads in the past 10 minutes, but I've been thinking that because I considering myself quite disadvantaged (Nobody where I live goes to University, I live on a council estate) would I be put at an advantage or a disadvantage when it comes to applying for university?
    Money wise you will be absolutely fine I would have thought - I assume (correct me if I am wrong and I apologise profusely if so) that if you live on a council estate, your parents would have a lower income so therefore you will recieve alot of financial help, and there may be some more help if they know it is from an area where less people go to university. I find friends I have that may say be 'disadvantaged' by economic background are the wealthiest at uni as they get so much help from grants etc.
    If you mean social advantage/disadvantage, you will be neither - just the same as everyone else, new, nervous and there to work hard and play hard

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HAIR14)
    There was an article on the front page of the times today saying that some universities have schemes that pinpoint applicants who live in areas where not many go to uni.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/lif...cle6788798.ece
    TBH mate i think this thread is for people going to uni

ReputationRep:

Yes, especially if the uni is involved in positive discrimination and your grades are well above average...enjoy it

ReputationRep:
    I don't think your background should put you at a disadvantage. I come from a council estate where very few people went to uni and both my parents never went. My two sisters and I are, however, all graduates.

If this is something you really want to do, then go for it.

ReputationRep:

in terms of applying it shouldn't be a problem, depending if your school has much experience in applying to unis. I'm from a council estate where no one goes to uni, it didn't effect my application process but has made my experience at uni a bit different to others, i would say i'm in more debt, many of my new friends have their parents paying for uni, not many people are getting the bursery, and lots of people are from private schools. But saying all that its not a problem, its nice to meet others from different backgrounds and no one judges, the only thing is i have to go back to the my mum's one bedroom council flat sleeping on the sofa, but i like where i come from so that will not be a problem.

One thing to remember just because someone went to a posh school doesn't make them smarter than you, you won't get your uni place because your rich or poor but because how smart you are.

good luck

ReputationRep:
    you might be put at an advantage when applying to Oxbridge if you went to a really bad school
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by MeanMachine)
    you might be put at an advantage when applying to Oxbridge if you went to a really bad school
    With Oxford at least, having attended a really bad school may give you an advantage if your grades/PS/whatever would not have otherwise got you to the interview stage. Once you get to interview, there's no advantage. That's the way the system's designed, anyway :yes:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.