Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Im in need of some help!

I had planned to go to my local college later this year and study:
    AS level music
    AS level english language
    AS level computing

I recently (yesterday) recieved a letter say that becuase of a low number of aplicants, i was unable to study A level music at this college!! They suggested a diploma in music. THis is not an option!!!

Im a musician full stop. I have been all my life and its what im good at. I want a career in Music and i wish to go to Uni and study it there.(was planning on the royal acedemy of music in london)

THere are no other colleges near enough that have an AS level music course available. Only diplomas, which i think wont exactly get me into a top notch music acedemy.

PLease help!! Im really worried about this! My results are soon and im pretty sure music will be one of few that i passed . But im almost certain (hopefuly not jinxing it here!) that music will be an A* as predicted.

I've always been top of my class at school, and involed with bands such as a champ. section brass band. (sounds nerdy but basically they're one of the best bands in that catogory in england)

I need a way to study A level music. I just cant do anything else.

My only way to get into college was to show them i could excel in the Music exam, then hope they would take me on. But without this as an option i might not even get into college.

Is there a way for me? or should i think about doing something sinister

Any help would be nice.

P/s im 16, Male

ReputationRep:
    either self teach it and be a private candidate

or you could find another college where you can do the a level in music and if its a fair distance away, it may still be worth the distance

ReputationRep:
    several points...

- Any other colleges around where you live?

- If music is your only interest why not consider the diploma? or a BTEC?

- You don't need music at A-level to do music at Uni. If you did something like History but had grade 7/8 in an instrument (and I'm probably way off here but I would like to presume that anyone applying for a music degree has at least grade 7/8 in their primary instruments?) then you could still apply

ReputationRep:
    Go to a school 6thform rather than a college?

Or self teach and enter privately if you think your good enough.

ReputationRep:
    Find out from the music schools you want to go to if they take the diploma. I went to a very good uni which accepted people with diplomas, I myself got straight into the second year of my degree with an advanced dipolma.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    whereabouts are you located OP

ReputationRep:
    I was having a similar thing in my 6th form with A-level German. Nobody wanted to take it except me and they were going to shut it down for the year (even though my school runs a whole "we don't stop running courses if we have a single candidate").

I'd convince them otherwise. Write them an e-mail explaining your situation ad how dedicated to the subject you are. Tell them your predicted GCSE grade, and stress how you're wanting to study Music all together. Also explain how you're very interested in your othger subjects and if you're predicted something impressive, include it. Make them understand that if you had to move, they would be losing a promising candidate who could get them outstanding results.

But you don't need music a-level, my friend is going to study music at a pretty prestigious institution and she just done her grade exams in Cello and Piano during 6th form. You even get UCAS points for them I think!

Don't panic, try argue to toss with them to open it for them and make them think that your an exception to offer it to. I did with German, I explained how dedicated to it I was and they reversed the decision. Hope you have the same luck.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.