Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm not quite sure but I read somewhere that there's a neon party this freshers at University of Birmingham. Is this true?! If so does anyone know when it is .. and how much entry would be for?
    I've bought a freshers fest ticket, would that include this one as well? (if there's a neon party in the first place.. )
    I REALLY HOPE THERE IS ONE! :P
    if there isn't... who's up for making it happen ! :P

ReputationRep:
    Yeah its part of the package, just a themed night! Depending what hall your in it may be your first night (halls nights are split up because clubs can't fit 4000 people!).

We're doing a city tour as part of the package on Monday 22nd, we'll show you all the main shops, so you know where to get your stuff from!

ReputationRep:
    Oh sweet.. I don't need to worry about getting the tickets then. coollll ! I'm quite excited.. i've never been to a neon party before.. sounds fun!
    I'll be staying at elgar.. but I take it I'll be getting the whole "timetable" for all the events happening around soon anyway ?

ReputationRep:
    Can't wait. This is like torture not knowing if I've got in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BigDave56)
    Can't wait. This is like torture not knowing if I've got in.
    I know what you mean.. I'm deferred though but initially I felt tortured as well knowing there was ONE WHOLE year before I could begin. but then eventually I just got on with my gap year :P
    What course are you doing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GregoBecks)
    Yeah its part of the package, just a themed night! Depending what hall your in it may be your first night (halls nights are split up because clubs can't fit 4000 people!).

We're doing a city tour as part of the package on Monday 22nd, we'll show you all the main shops, so you know where to get your stuff from!
    You mean Monday the 21st or Tuesday the 22nd? Now I'm confused - my natural state of mind...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hotrock321)
    I know what you mean.. I'm deferred though but initially I felt tortured as well knowing there was ONE WHOLE year before I could begin. but then eventually I just got on with my gap year :P
    What course are you doing?
    Hopefully MSci Physics with Particle Phys. and Cosmology, you?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know when we'll hear about what goes on at Freshers? When we arrive or when we are Firmed?

ReputationRep:
    I'm so confused about the whole package thing - they are well expensive and don't seem to offer much! which one should I buy?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rosamund123)
    I'm so confused about the whole package thing - they are well expensive and don't seem to offer much! which one should I buy?
    Where do you get this info from?

ReputationRep:

www.freshersfest.com

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully MSci Physics with Particle Phys. and Cosmology, you?
    Medicine. But atleast not for the first month into the term. first month's for freshers! :P

ReputationRep:

exactly what JYTP said.
    but also, a friend of mine now starting her second year at uni told me about them - she said that they're definitely worth buying as you get loads of good deals, and that you should get silver or gold as bronze is rubbish apparently. also, they will sell out before you arrive so you need to get one beforehand.
    BUT I don't want to buy one before I know my results (!) as it would be a huge waste of money, plus I'm not sure how good they are! they don't give much info about how many places you can get entry to!

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know when we'll hear about what goes on at Freshers? When we arrive or when we are Firmed?
    You should definitely hear from them soon.. there are facebook groups that you can join that update you as soon as events are decided.
    Day before yesterday the "MedSoc" (medical society) events were uploaded. But apart from that the freshers fest events should be confirmed as we reach nearer to the joining date. You should also be receiving a freshers booklet soon by post once the results are out and all the places are confirmed.
    You arrive at the accommodation on the 19th/20th/21st weekend. I think that's the earliest you can arrive, you can come later if you wish to do so as studies only start on the 28th. But freshers start on the 21st I think.
    Once your results are out your conditional should automatically change to unconditional and everything will just " flow " from there.. you usually don't have to do a single thing

ReputationRep:
    I don't know if this helps or not but I've bought the standard freshers fest only package for 30 quid. I was quite confused about it all as well but then I asked a few people around and found out what they all consisted. and as far as i know freshers fest package has - 9 night outs in the first 2 weeks (14days!) and a few other things like day trips and what not.
    if you take the bronze one you get fest + freshers ball. i personally don't feel like going to the ball but it's upto you.
    and then silver and gold packages include a concert each. although i'm not quite sure if they're concerts. I don't know these artists and to be honest I'm not interested in them..
    basically the way i'm thinking is with the fest package 9 out of 14 nights = sorted. i want to leave the other 5 a bit flexible for me to be able to decide what to do.. i might end up making friends who're doing something else .. so i might go along with them.
    plus there's always going to be something or the other on every night. i would DEFINITELY recommend getting the basic package though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hotrock321)
    I don't know if this helps or not but I've bought the standard freshers fest only package for 30 quid. I was quite confused about it all as well but then I asked a few people around and found out what they all consisted. and as far as i know freshers fest package has - 9 night outs in the first 2 weeks (14days!) and a few other things like day trips and what not.
    if you take the bronze one you get fest + freshers ball. i personally don't feel like going to the ball but it's upto you.
    and then silver and gold packages include a concert each. although i'm not quite sure if they're concerts. I don't know these artists and to be honest I'm not interested in them..
    basically the way i'm thinking is with the fest package 9 out of 14 nights = sorted. i want to leave the other 5 a bit flexible for me to be able to decide what to do.. i might end up making friends who're doing something else .. so i might go along with them.
    plus there's always going to be something or the other on every night. i would DEFINITELY recommend getting the basic package though

arghh... now I am in a quandry! cos that does sound good, and I'm not interested in the two concerts much either. but I'm slightly worried that I'll make new friends who've bought the other packages, then they'll be going off to these concerts and I'll be stuck at home with nothing to do! but I guess that could work the other way too... hmm... it's tricky!

ReputationRep:
    exactly what JYTP said.
    but also, a friend of mine now starting her second year at uni told me about them - she said that they're definitely worth buying as you get loads of good deals, and that you should get silver or gold as bronze is rubbish apparently. also, they will sell out before you arrive so you need to get one beforehand.
    BUT I don't want to buy one before I know my results (!) as it would be a huge waste of money, plus I'm not sure how good they are! they don't give much info about how many places you can get entry to!
    exactly what i'm trying to say.. we're in a difficult position to decide what's going to be good and what's not.. and at the same time we don't want to make the mistake of not buying it now and then later regretting it because all our "new friends" bought it and would go for it.
    from what i've heard, medsoc events are the one's not to miss.. i might well be wrong. but you could confirm that with your friend..
    apart from that the only extra things you're getting in your gold package is the 2 concerts and freshers ball. so it's upto you if you like the artists coming on.. and if you're interested in the freshers ball. accordingly you can choose from the gold, silver, bronze or just fest package.
    you're right they don't give much info AT ALL.. everyone's saying that.
    but from what i've found out, with just the fest package you're getting definite entry to 9 club nights in the first two weeks. and apparently the all booked by then so you can't really get in on the night without a ticket, unless you want to wait outside for hours with the possibility of raining :P
    one of the nights i know is the NEON night so wey!

ReputationRep:
    arghh... now I am in a quandry! cos that does sound good, and I'm not interested in the two concerts much either. but I'm slightly worried that I'll make new friends who've bought the other packages, then they'll be going off to these concerts and I'll be stuck at home with nothing to do! but I guess that could work the other way too... hmm... it's tricky!
    haha yeah i know what you mean.. i've thought A LOT about the possibility. but a lot of people have said that there are so many people in the uni that you can't possibly have ALL your new friends with the gold ticket. remember that everyone's in your position and everyone's probably thinking that gold package is way too expensive and that they'd rather get the basic one and go to other nights. not everyone will be able to afford the gold one, knowing that you're anyway going to be spending so much more in the first few weeks. plus you don't want to be that rigid with your freshers weeks.. flexibility is good. i'm SURE you'll make hundreds of friends, literally.. and i'm SURE that 80% of them would've only bought the fest package or bronze one.. nothing to worry about

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DAFOne)
    You mean Monday the 21st or Tuesday the 22nd? Now I'm confused - my natural state of mind...
    God's sake, I'm useless with dates. Whatever day the monday is, 21st!

There's also a school themed party at Risa in the package, and a classy night at Mechu... Mechu is generally the 'footballer's club' or more exclusive entry night in Birmingham, I'm going to try to go there more this year, loved the last time I went.

Remember nights are locked down for us - no general public, just all Freshers will be in there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GregoBecks)
    God's sake, I'm useless with dates. Whatever day the monday is, 21st!

There's also a school themed party at Risa in the package, and a classy night at Mechu... Mechu is generally the 'footballer's club' or more exclusive entry night in Birmingham, I'm going to try to go there more this year, loved the last time I went.

Remember nights are locked down for us - no general public, just all Freshers will be in there.
    Ae there any other fancy dress themed nights during freshers? Wanna know so I can buy fancy dress now before choatic freshers comes

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.