Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2...-quit-election

Assuming the Graun's right on this,

120 Lab
    +43 Tory
    = 163

- Not counting the smaller parties, that's over 25% of all MPs out before a vote has been cast.

So...what will the newbies be like, for example with DaveCam's A-list and the "Anti-politics" candidates that may slip through?

ReputationRep:
    It's all well and good for Labour MPs to quit, since a lot of them know they will be voted out anyway. Unfortunatly I think we will see a fair few candidates whose only campaign message is that their current MP claimed 50p for some chewing gum, and then had the cheek to pay it back again.

ReputationRep:
    It should be an interesting time for British politics. The Conservatives and Labour will no doubt stick up more female candidates and those from ethnic minorities. It should help to make the Commons at least slightly more representative of the nation. There seems likely to also be a focus on putting forward a number of younger candidates as well to aid the perception that Parliament really is reforming in light of the expenses scandal and give the Commons a new image- away from stuffy, old, middle-class men. However, I do think that while the results of such a shake up may be beneficial, it is a shame that so many parliamentarians have been sacraficed after the expenses episode which was constantly built up to be more than it was.

ReputationRep:
    I guess Camerons hand picked most of his favourite candidates, young, very conservative and non-confrontational to his leadership to get rid of the old guard. God knows what the Rump of a parliamentary Labour party will look like. But I think a lot of them will be more liberal as a reaction against some of the illiberal policies of the past.

ReputationRep:
    lets hope they dnt only care how much they can claim on expenses! lool

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't hold up too much hope. The number of women and so on who are actually chosen by their local Conservative party is still extremely low. I think its great that the GP got chosen in Totnes, but this isn't representative of the full picture. A number of new Conservative MPs will come from political "families" - people like Joanne Cash.

The Tories still have a serious problem with getting women chosen by their local party. Remember that Cameron does not hand-pick the candidates. A lot of local Conservative parties are still very old and backwards. It was only a couple of years ago that the Conservative vice-chair was moaning about women and younger people not being picked; and of course the scandal where candidates were told they wouldn't be chosen because they were women with young kids; and in one case because the candidate was Jewish. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...-on-women.html

The best I'm hoping for is some small improvements. The interfering old people who dominate local politics aren't going to go away anytime soon.

(Original post by jacketpotato)
    The best I'm hoping for is some small improvements. The interfering old people who dominate local politics aren't going to go away anytime soon.
    To be fair, they might be underground soon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CandyFlipper)
    To be fair, they might be underground soon.
    Very unlikely. These are the people who dominate local parties. Go to your local council's website and take a look!

I find it difficult to believe that the background, to the shocking stories about Conservative MP selection from 2001, has changed that drastically in so short a time. IMO its unlikely to be a bone that Cameron will pick because he would prove very unlikely to be successful for fairly limited electoral gain.

ReputationRep:
    Ultimately, I'm not optimistic. A lot of good MPs have left, to be replaced by dull non-entities, and there are plenty more who are of a certain age and will soon be retiring. There is not, so far as I can see, anyone of talent to take over the 'elder stateman' type roles.

ReputationRep:
    alot of MPs with experience and who, despite the expenses outrage, were very very good MPs will be gone, so I agree with L i b

ReputationRep:
    there'll be a lot of new conservative MPs who i reckon will be careerist and will thus listen to the conservative whip blindly. this will mean that cameron will not have to worry as much about what the old conservatives think so they will have quite an opportunity to change things. whether they will or nor is another matter.
    morally, i cant see them being a better bunch than we have now tbh - you're always going to get dirty ammoral characters but some good ones too. i dont predict any drastic changes to politics at all tbh.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.