Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

anyone been to frankfurt,Berlin or Amsterdam.( urgent Monday evening deadline) Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey , me,my dad and my sister are currently trying to organise a holiday to either frankfurt(Germany),Berlin or Amsterdam. Has anyone ever been to these places? what has it got to offer?

We are planning to go in the first week of September and we don't really want to spend our time going to loads of museums.. Its not really our thing ..so if you guys can suggest some things we can do there it will be greatly appreciated.

My Dad presented two options:
    We stay in Frankfurt for a bit and then go to Amsterdam
    or we stay in Berlin for the week ....
    but the option is up to me and my sister, My dad doesn't care..we need to tell him by Monday evening so he can book everything.
    Me and my sister just want to see what these places offer.

ReputationRep:
    I've been to Amsterdam but I didn't really enjoy it. Something clinical about the Dutch.

ReputationRep:
    I've been to Amsterdam and found it a very nice place; plenty of stuff to do, and it's dirt cheap in comparison to Britain

ReputationRep:
    Been to Frankfurt, pretty nice place but i've been to the other two aswell and found Amsterdam had more to offer.

ReputationRep:
    I went to Berlin, and it is amazing. The whole way of life there, you'll be sure to love it. I went to a few museums, but the Berlin Wall is a must see. Also, the tv tower, realllyyy tall and you can see the whole city from the top - Its best to visit it at night. The restaurants there are really cool too, not bad for the pennies either. Oh i know you dont want to visit museums, but theres a holocaust memorial there, and thats also something you should see. Oh and for accomodation, i would URGE YOU to stay at 'Hotel Transit'. It's a converted cigar factory, abit like a hostel/hotel. The people there are awesome and relaxed, the morning buffet it wicked! The area it is located in is ideal too, excellent transport links - i think the area was plotsdammerplatz but dont quote me on that Berlin also has the largest turkish market area outside of Turkey, it was soo cool, the arts and crafts were amazing, and the bartering is so much fun. I got a bag and the man cut the price without me asking! :yes:

Oh I forgot - Faster Pussycat! > Its an iconic shop just a short walk from hotel transit, people around the world visit it! There was also an amazing turkish restaurant we went to, if i can find the name, ill give it you

ReputationRep:
    I've been to both Berlin and Amsterdam. Out of the two, I'd choose Berlin. There's so much more to do there than there is in Amsterdam. I spent three days in Amsterdam and felt like I'd done pretty much all the stuff that I'd want to (including quite a bit of time to sit about and drink coffee by the canals), whereas I was in Berlin a day longer, spent the whole time busy and still felt I hadn't seen everything.

Try and stay near Friederichstrasse, it's got the best transport links, and a direct train line to the airport. I stayed about five minutes walk from here, and it was perfect for all the touristy things.

ReputationRep:
    cool cool keep the suggestions coming

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lizia)
    I've been to both Berlin and Amsterdam. Out of the two, I'd choose Berlin. There's so much more to do there than there is in Amsterdam. I spent three days in Amsterdam and felt like I'd done pretty much all the stuff that I'd want to (including quite a bit of time to sit about and drink coffee by the canals), whereas I was in Berlin a day longer, spent the whole time busy and still felt I hadn't seen everything.

Try and stay near Friederichstrasse, it's got the best transport links, and a direct train line to the airport. I stayed about five minutes walk from here, and it was perfect for all the touristy things.
    Okay can you tell me what you did?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sahds)
    I went to Berlin, and it is amazing. The whole way of life there, you'll be sure to love it. I went to a few museums, but the Berlin Wall is a must see. Also, the tv tower, realllyyy tall and you can see the whole city from the top - Its best to visit it at night. The restaurants there are really cool too, not bad for the pennies either. Oh i know you dont want to visit museums, but theres a holocaust memorial there, and thats also something you should see. Oh and for accomodation, i would URGE YOU to stay at 'Hotel Transit'. It's a converted cigar factory, abit like a hostel/hotel. The people there are awesome and relaxed, the morning buffet it wicked! The area it is located in is ideal too, excellent transport links - i think the area was plotsdammerplatz but dont quote me on that Berlin also has the largest turkish market area outside of Turkey, it was soo cool, the arts and crafts were amazing, and the bartering is so much fun. I got a bag and the man cut the price without me asking! :yes:
    I saw something like that when I went to Poland last year on my school trip as well as auschwitz ..seems like something we could see

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jessyfantastic90)
    Okay can you tell me what you did?
    Look on TripAdvisor, that will tell you the good things. I don't really have time to write a long post about them. Basically I just looked at that website and picked lots of the things that people seemed to like.

ReputationRep:
    berlin is fabbyfabbyfab, gooo there!

ReputationRep:
    Berlin - has so much stuff, olympic stadium, all the war stuff. Awesome if your into all that.
    Frankfurt is mainly banks from what i saw, apart from some shops and an opera house
    Amsterdam is ok, can't remember much because i was so young when i went, has Ann Franks house but thats about it compared to Berlin

ReputationRep:
    I Loved Amsterdam though I heard Berlin is amazing, Id go there

ReputationRep:
    Berlin is totally underrated as a capital city.

People are only starting to appreciate it as a holiday destination and because of that, still has that edge to it.

Frankfurt is a nice city to live in but it's just a business city and a financial centre. Not that much to offer to a tourist...

Berlin is fantastic but I'd recommend looking into what Berlin has to offer (a lot!) and choose what you want to do. Geographically it's as big as London and there's too much to see. Like London (or I'd say more than London), you can spend several week-long holidays and experience totally different parts of the city.

Berlin has a lot to offer in terms of museums, art galleries, castles. I'm not a massive fan of those but in the case of Berlin, you have so much choice: Charlottenburg Palace, Checkpoint Charlie, Berliner Dom, Rathaus... just hanging around those places is nice. Even if you don't like museums, Berlin has so much exciting history that these places are far from boring and the gardens in Schloss Charlottenburg are beautiful...

If you're with your family, I'd recommend places like Prenzlauer Berg and Hackescher Markt (a lot of parks, cafés, quite chilled...). Kreuzberg is the alternative district, a bit like London's Camden. You'd still want to stay fairly close to the centre so you can walk down Unter Den Linden, see the Brandenburg Gate, the Siegesaule...

What you do in Berlin totally depends on your personal taste: people go to Berlin for the history, some to see the monuments, some people go for shopping, some go for clubbing (probably the best European City, in my opinion, in terms of nightlife but you have to like your house and techno), some go to experience the artistic side of Berlin...

ReputationRep:
    As someone mentioned above, Amsterdam doesn't really have that much to do. I imagine that the shopping is pretty good in Berlin - I'd go there personally but Anne Franks house is fab... Plus if you're with your Dad you can hardly go around the Sex Museums & have a spliff... Berlin gets my vote!

ReputationRep:
    I agree with the above comments that there is a LOT more to do in Berlin than Amsterdam. But, I really enjoyed the few days that I spent in Amsterdam. There are few major things to do. You can take a tour of the Heineken brewery, if you are a beer enthusiast. You can do a boat tour of the canals. Amsterdam is a very bike-oriented city - it can be fun to rent a bike and go around the city. And, of course, there are tons of "coffee-houses". The Red light district is also interesting (I found it to be rather sad and depressing actually, but it's interesting from a sociological perspective).

You mentioned that you're not really a museum person, which is too bad because Amsterdam has some great ones! There's the Van Gogh museum, the Rijksmuseum (great art gallery!). And, you can also visit Anne Frank's house.

(Original post by Olivia_Lightbulb)
    I've been to Amsterdam but I didn't really enjoy it. Something clinical about the Dutch.
    :shock: No there isn't! :p: The Dutch are among the friendliest people on Earth, among the Greeks and the Scots.

OP, I visited the Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam and it was amazing, but if you're not really into stuff like that then maybe Amsterdam isn't somewhere you'd like to go on holiday. There are loads of beautiful little cafés, and the canals are fantastic to tour when the weather's nice, but in September I imagine it's really really cold. It's also the gay capital of Europe so there are also loads of clubs, but maybe not the sort you'd like to visit!! I plan to live in Amsterdam one day (I'm hetero :p:) but it's a beautiful city with lots of shops, cinemas, cafés, museums, music venues, etc, and everyone speaks perfect English and you'd be made to feel very welcome, but if I were you I'd give it a miss.

I've never been to Berlin (although I'd like to) but my friend went there and loathed it: he said it was grey, cold, and the food was vile, with an oppressive atmosphere. Maybe stick with Frankfurt? :p: Although if Berlin's good enough for David Bowie ... :cool:

ReputationRep:
    I'm so confused

ReputationRep:
    I've been to all 3 cities and would certainly recommend Berlin out of the three. It is a beautiful city with a lot to see and do, the atmosphere is fantastic and it's really fun as well. Finding your way around is easy and in general the people are fantastic. Whether you want elegance, culture, fun, relaxation or a combination of all of the afore mentioned, you'll find it in Berlin.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArcadiaHouse)
    No there isn't! The Dutch are among the friendliest people on Earth, among the Greeks and the Scots.
    Hmmm :rolleyes:
    Like any country, people can seem unfriendly until you understand their culture and mentality. For a Brit, the Dutch are certainly not the easiest to get used to (but far from being the most different to us culturally as they are a somewhat Nordic/Germanic country and the amount of UK-Netherlands trade and business is proof that there's a lot of compatibility there). They can seem rather rude to an outsider as they have a lot of unwritten customs and rules. Walk on their cycle tracks and feel their fury!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.