Turn on thread page Beta

anyone been to frankfurt,Berlin or Amsterdam.( urgent Monday evening deadline) watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jessyfantastic90)
    I'm so confused
    You haven't quite said what you're looking for. Apart from saying you don't want to spend time in museums...

If you want a smallish city that caters for young tourists where you have a clearly marked centre for tourists to visit then go to Amsterdam (assuming that you'll manage to ditch the Dad at some point). What you "must" see in a tour of the city is very straightforward.

Berlin is a HUGE city geographically. You live in London so imagine a city the same size but with a few million fewer people: it's a lot more laidback but there's so much to see that you will have stuff to do no matter how much time you spend there.

Berlin is the obvious choice because of variety: it's not just a good city to go get pissed, or a good city for museums or a good city to chill out in.

To me, if you're with your family, it's Berlin hands-down. Sure you might not be able to enjoy the crazy nightlife so much but there are so many parks, cafés, bars, restaurants, museums, castles, monuments, olympic stadiums (ok just one in Spandau)...

ReputationRep:
    Amsterdam was a blast, but you really need to blaze up if you go there, Berlin's a great city, very big, lots to do but it is expensive. Never been to Frankfurt, I hear the sausages are good though.

ReputationRep:
    I've only been to Frankfurt of the three, but I am going to Berlin at the end of September (just booked it yesterday!) I would strongly recommend Berlin - Frankfurt has very little to do for tourists, it's a bit like asking a tourist whether they'd rather go to London or Birmingham really (although I love Birmingham)

I don't know so much about Amsterdam, but like somebody above said, I would think it's a place you'd rather go sans les parents :p:

ReputationRep:
    I really liked Amsterdam when I was there... but for a whole week, I'd probably recommend Berlin. More to do in big cities!

ReputationRep:
    Short Answer: Berlin!

Long Answer:
    Another vote for Berlin, It's a fantastic city dripping in history and like everyone has said there's loads to do there, not just museums. Sites like the Wall, the Brandenburg gate, Olympic Stadium, Rathaus, Berliner Dom, Berliner Zoo, Checkpoint Charlie, Kufurstendamm, the former East Berlin, any of the war/ historical sites, the Holocaust memorial, KdW, Hackesher Markt, Alexanderplatz and the TV tower, the restored Reichstag are must sees. There is a great clubbing scene and there are some good restraunts too. I went there for a week in February and even in the depths of winter it was a fascinating city. I only wish that I had stayed longer as there is so much to see.

As for Amsterdam I'd imagine that it's also a nice place but I havn't been so can't really comment. I wouldn't put Frankfurt at the top of my list of places to see but I'm sure it has it's merits. The first thing that comes to my mind Frankfurt is the European Central Bank and I can't really think of anything else to be honest.

In Summary: BERLIN! Woooo!

ReputationRep:
    Amsterdam was good. I went a few years ago with my dad, but unless you experience more than the city itself, you will be bored within about 3 days.
    Also, I got into a fight in the RLD, but the police there are awesome

ReputationRep:
    I've been to Amsterdam and completely LOVED it. I miss it loads. It's really pretty, the people are nice even if they seem slightly cold on the outside. There isn't that much to do but if you're into culture and museums, its the place to go. The markets are cool as well.

ReputationRep:
    went to Berlin and Amsterdam last year - totally different cities. Amsterdam is small and attractive but lacks stuff to do/see. I stayed there for 2 nights which was fine. Berlin is big with a lot to offer - stayed there 4 nights - I would recommend the NewEurope Tour which was very interesting and briefly covers all the main attractions in a few hours (and free as they make their money from tips so the tour guides are always very motivated to provide good service, which they did). Also Berlin is a lot cheaper. Amsterdam has more Western Europe prices whereas Berlin was quite affordable

ReputationRep:
    Hi thanks for your feedback guys! we're going to Paris instead ! cheers.

ReputationRep:
    aha, that is hilarious :P

all these posts... for that!

ReputationRep:
    Berlin is so cool I plan on living there some day. East Berlin specifically.

Theres some old English guy that has lived in Berlin for 40 years working for the British Government that does tours now, the guy is a legend, Brewers tours or something. Check it out, walks you all over the east of the city.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rosamund123)
    aha, that is hilarious :P

all these posts... for that!
    yeah sorry i know ...Par is 09 here I come!

ReputationRep:
    well have fun paris is a great city

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.