Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I applied for student finance a while back and now my application has been approved after I returned the online declaration form through the post twice (once after each of the two notification letters were sent to my house) The first one was non-income assessed and the second is provisional that says the household income was taken into account.

The second notification however still says I need to pay £3225 to my university - I opted not to apply for the tuition fee and maintenance loans for the following reasons;

Maintenance loan; I will be living with my parents throughout the length of my course and my Uni (DMU) is 15 mins walking distance from my house.

Tuition fee loan; my siblings have both graduated and my parents did not have to pay anything toward their course fees because our household income was within the grade where the fees are covered for you (my sister did 3 years at Uni of Leicester and my brother did 4 years at DMU; they graduated in 2006 and 2008 respectively)

Our household income has been considerably lower this year as my father has been unable to work due to illness so why does the notification still state I must pay the full course fee even though I am now income assessed i.e. "provisional"?

Will it be necessary for me to take out a loan to cover the course fees? I didn't think it would be as my sister and brother didn't have to. Thanks in advance for any help... I will be contacting SF tomorrow but would like some advice beforehand.

ReputationRep:
    If you are going to a uni in England you have to pay tuition fees. No grants are available for this.

ReputationRep:
    OK, so if the tuition fees for me won't be covered (even though they were for my sister and brother) due to my family's low income, does this mean I can use the combined amount from the Maintenance Grant (£2906) and DMU Bursary (£500) to pay the £3225 fee?

ReputationRep:
    Maybe but what will you do next year when the fees go up a couple of hundred pounds but the grant doesn't go up at all?

ReputationRep:
    You can still apply for a seperate Tuition fee loan to cover the cost.

Fees for the 10/11 academic year are £3290.

ReputationRep:
    I just contacted my Uni and they confirmed my parents did not have to pay anything for my brother/sister because they came under the old fee arrangements.

My parents will gladly pay toward my tuition fees what my maintenance grant does not cover (£319) for this year but I don't want them to have to do that so I will take care of it myself.

To cover the fees I will use the full £2906 from my maintenance grant and combine it with my £500 bursary from the Uni to pay my fees in full - I will then have £181 left from the bursary to keep and will use this same method next year. Hopefully I will be able to get a part-time job to earn extra and I have been awarded a £2000 a year scholarship so it's not all bad I guess.

Thanks for your help.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.