Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=igcse

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Goose)
    You guys are right those A's must be mistakes... you need to get them remarked for sure!:rolleyes:
    When you're 3 marks from an A* (like I was for English during my GCSEs), it's always worth a try! I didn't get one (just one extra mark! :mad: ) but I can understand it, especially if you were like me and consistently got A* marks for the whole two years. I was close for Chemistry, as well, but I didn't want to push my luck lmao.

ReputationRep:
    i firmed it. simple really.
    I don't want to seem disrespectful , but couldn't you have gone somewhere a bit more reputable?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beatleboar)
    I don't want to seem disrespectful , but couldn't you have gone somewhere a bit more reputable?
    It was her choice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roosel4)
    It was his choice.
    aha! a chis and sidder :eek3: Have you heard of Wilmington Grammar?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MalcomNewMoney84)
    aha! a chis and sidder :eek3: Have you heard of Wilmington Grammar?
    hahaha yes I have.

I took the entrance test, but I lived too far away to make it worth while.

ReputationRep:
    could've. but going to university is about more than it's reputation, alot more. Without sounding arrogant I could've gone places alot higher in league tables, got offers (and met them) from top 10's but why bother if you don't like the university, or the staff?

Hull is the top university in Yorkshire for satisfaction (and usually ranks top 5 nationally) above Leeds, York, Sheffield etc regarded as more reputable places and I'm more bothered about being comfortable than at a place with a place higher up in what I consider to be arbitrary league tables.

ReputationRep:
    It was his choice.
    her*

ReputationRep:
    her*
    my bad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BillyMarsh)
    Who got the information regarding after 11?

I can't find it on the CIE site.

We have to ring or be rung to get ours... Any A/AS people got theirs yet?

Also, congrats OP, A* at iGCSE level do NOT come along easily!
    Sorry, but they do.

ReputationRep:
    my bad.

ha ha no worries...happen alot =P

ReputationRep:
    could've. but going to university is about more than it's reputation, alot more. Without sounding arrogant I could've gone places alot higher in league tables, got offers (and met them) from top 10's but why bother if you don't like the university, or the staff?

Hull is the top university in Yorkshire for satisfaction (and usually ranks top 5 nationally) above Leeds, York, Sheffield etc regarded as more reputable places and I'm more bothered about being comfortable than at a place with a place higher up in what I consider to be arbitrary league tables.
    my respect for you has gone up lots

ReputationRep:
    my respect for you has gone up lots
    i get asked alot how I 'ended up' at Hull. But it was the only place I wanted to be, both my firm and insurance. Being there just felt right, so welcoming it meant more to me personally than league tables and all that jazz. Student satisfaction is high, graduate prospects are good especially in the law department. I have no regrets

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ben77mc)
    Sorry, but they do.
    Compared to the GCSEs taken in England they are much harder to obtain top grades in, I know myself from when I did my Spanish iGCSE, most of the English papers had sections in English whereas the CIE version was totally Spanish.

There are even talks of using the iGCSE model in England as it is better for the more academic students. The O level may also be making a return!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BillyMarsh)
    Compared to the GCSEs taken in England they are much harder to obtain top grades in, I know myself from when I did my Spanish iGCSE, most of the English papers had sections in English whereas the CIE version was totally Spanish.

There are even talks of using the iGCSE model in England as it is better for the more academic students. The O level may also be making a return!
    The IGCSE has come in England.
    My school, for one, is the only school to have completely abolished the GCSEs.

And they are IGCSEs; they're not part of my iPhone.

ReputationRep:
    i get asked alot how I 'ended up' at Hull. But it was the only place I wanted to be, both my firm and insurance. Being there just felt right, so welcoming it meant more to me personally than league tables and all that jazz. Student satisfaction is high, graduate prospects are good especially in the law department. I have no regrets
    that sounds really assuring to me , as I am in a similar situation achieving similar grades to you however I secrelty love northumbria over any of the universities I have seen so far. I live in Hull

ReputationRep:
    that sounds really assuring to me , as I am in a similar situation achieving similar grades to you however I secrelty love northumbria over any of the universities I have seen so far. I live in Hull
    if thats the one you love the most firm it. That's the only advice I would give anyone. I got an offer from Northumbria but never went to look round in the end, the open day was on my 18th birthday and I just wasn't up for it. Got some friends who love it there though =)

There are no rules to say that you have to apply to the highest ranking uni's you think you can get into and firm the one with the highest offer, because chances are this isn't where you want to be.

Don't fancy Hull uni? or are you wanting to get away?

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, but they do.
    NO, they do not!

Did you sit for any? :hmm:

ReputationRep:
    if thats the one you love the most firm it. That's the only advice I would give anyone. I got an offer from Northumbria but never went to look round in the end, the open day was on my 18th birthday and I just wasn't up for it. Got some friends who love it there though =)

There are no rules to say that you have to apply to the highest ranking uni's you think you can get into and firm the one with the highest offer, because chances are this isn't where you want to be.

Don't fancy Hull uni? or are you wanting to get away?
    yeah i went to go see hull and in all fairness I would apply if it dint happen to be on my front door step , I want to get away lol.

ReputationRep:
    The IGCSE has come in England.
    My school, for one, is the only school to have completely abolished the GCSEs.

And they are IGCSEs; they're not part of my iPhone.
    Firstly, bad joke man... real bad.

Secondly, you cannot possibly compare the two in terms of difficulty, especially when sciences and languages are taken into consideration. It is harder to get top grades due to the examination style, there aren't any modules involved and everything is done in a single session (over 1-3 papers).

The course content is also far more complex, I compared the IGCSE Biology exams and textbooks to my GCSE Double useless Science and the difference made my hair turn white!

People who take the IGCSE followed by CIE A-levels are far better prepared for University than other candidates as they have had to study a far more demanding syllabus and have had to do it all without the help of UMS.

When I made the transition from GCSE (in the UK) to A-level (International), it took me a good 5 weeks to adjust whereas my two 'English' A-levels took just a matter of days.

Why do you think your school abolished the GCSE in favour of the 'I', because they wanted to give their students a nice walk in the park or because they wanted to challenge and prepare them better?

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.