Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BillyMarsh)
    Firstly, bad joke man... real bad.

Secondly, you cannot possibly compare the two in terms of difficulty, especially when sciences and languages are taken into consideration. It is harder to get top grades due to the examination style, there aren't any modules involved and everything is done in a single session (over 1-3 papers).

The course content is also far more complex, I compared the IGCSE Biology exams and textbooks to my GCSE Double useless Science and the difference made my hair turn white!

People who take the IGCSE followed by CIE A-levels are far better prepared for University than other candidates as they have had to study a far more demanding syllabus and have had to do it all without the help of UMS.

When I made the transition from GCSE (in the UK) to A-level (International), it took me a good 5 weeks to adjust whereas my two 'English' A-levels took just a matter of days.

Why do you think your school abolished the GCSE in favour of the 'I', because they wanted to give their students a nice walk in the park or because they wanted to challenge and prepare them better?
    Obviously the latter, but it's still not hard to achieve an A*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ben77mc)
    Obviously the latter, but it's still not hard to achieve an A*
    Compared to a GCSE yes it is, it is harder to come by (my original point).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BillyMarsh)
    Firstly, bad joke man... real bad.

Secondly, you cannot possibly compare the two in terms of difficulty, especially when sciences and languages are taken into consideration. It is harder to get top grades due to the examination style, there aren't any modules involved and everything is done in a single session (over 1-3 papers).

The course content is also far more complex, I compared the IGCSE Biology exams and textbooks to my GCSE Double useless Science and the difference made my hair turn white!

People who take the IGCSE followed by CIE A-levels are far better prepared for University than other candidates as they have had to study a far more demanding syllabus and have had to do it all without the help of UMS.

When I made the transition from GCSE (in the UK) to A-level (International), it took me a good 5 weeks to adjust whereas my two 'English' A-levels took just a matter of days.

Why do you think your school abolished the GCSE in favour of the 'I', because they wanted to give their students a nice walk in the park or because they wanted to challenge and prepare them better?
    If you compared it with the Double Award paper, of course it was harder. Double award takes all the hard parts out (although GCSE Biology's pretty easy, and I say that as a non-science person); I would have killed to do the Chemistry one, but ah well.

ReputationRep:
    Well I took CIE IGCSE and I have seen GCSE papers (edexcel and ocr) and it is so much harder. I just hope that CIE IGCSE gets the credit it deserves because A*'s are very hard to come by compared to edexcel papers. Anyways i took 9 IGCSE's and ended up with 4 A* 4 A and a B which i am pissed about, will remark the B for sure.

ReputationRep:
    What did you get?

ReputationRep:
    Did anyone take Edexcel IGCSEs?? How did you find the exams??

Good Luck

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing CIE IGCSEs and I already received my results. ^^

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ben93)
    Did anyone take Edexcel IGCSEs?? How did you find the exams??

Good Luck

Well maths was easy and physics was but biology had no biology and was annoying and i misread some of the chemistry so i am really annoyed. Overall i think i could have gotten 4 * there but i could be unlucky on a couple

How did you find them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Siddd)
    I'm doing CIE IGCSEs and I already received my results. ^^

So are you :woo: or ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by acm345)
    So are you :woo: or ?
    :woo: 12 A*s

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Siddd)
    And so you came on the thread to rub it in :rolleyes:

Well done anyway:yep: :yep: ,

i am really jealous (not so much the grades, but the fact you already know

ReputationRep:
    And so you came on the thread to rub it in :rolleyes:

Well done anyway:yep: :yep: ,

i am really jealous (not so much the grades, but the fact you already know
    Of course ^^, but I actually enjoy the anguish shown on this forum more.

ReputationRep:
    Well maths was easy and physics was but biology had no biology and was annoying and i misread some of the chemistry so i am really annoyed. Overall i think i could have gotten 4 * there but i could be unlucky on a couple

How did you find them?
    this.

the biology was ******* retarded.
    maths was fine, as with physics

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Siddd)
    How can we be sure these are your real grades? you posted several different mock test results, different predictions, a different amount of GCSE'S you were taken...at one point you said you were selt teaching 5 out of the 14 you were taking so it doesn't all add up.

I don't know why i remember your posts specifically but i do. If those are your real scores...WELL DONE, they are great grades! but if they're not then why lie?

ReputationRep:

How did you find them?
    I took biology, chemistry and physics edexcel and the other subjects were GCSEs.

Biology was horrible
    Chemistry was okay (I can't really remember) :confused:
    Physics was okay :confused:

But oh well we just need to wait till results day....

ReputationRep:
    all igcses i sat were easy/good (3 sciences and maths), but a few biology questions were ambiguous so there are a few marks here and there relying on the mark scheme wording.

igcse science in my opinion is better than modular gcse, and I don't think its necessarily harder if you put the same amount of work in as you would for gcse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Siddd)
    Of course ^^, but I actually enjoy the anguish shown on this forum more.
    not going to answer my question?

ReputationRep:
    i feel kinda bad right now...my school won't let us know our CIE IGCSEs until the 27th, but one of the teachers said there's only one A* in First Language Chinese in our year and the rest are all C and Ds.
    Anyone took First Lang Chinese?? is the avg grades bad..???

ReputationRep:
    lol IGCSE biology....we hadn't actually covered the last 2 pages about the different spiecies fish.....chemestry was harder than any of the past papers, as was physics. Maths was okay, but I completely skrewed up the last question about the triangle and the cosine rule.....sigh.....

oh well, only 6 days until results......

ReputationRep:
    hi! im soo glad i foudn this thread... please read!

basically, i worked my ass off for my cie coordinated science exam, because the results were worth double (double award). In the end, i got double A when everyone else who studied the night before got double A*'s. I was soo distraught as I had focused all my effort on this stupid science exam (over 300 pages of notes and i had gone through 22 science revision guides) and was so intent on achieving that A*.

Today, I went to the science department in my school to ask for my raw marks to see if it would help to get a remark. THEN i saw that I had actually achieved A's in all three of my components, which should, under normal circumstances result to an double A*'s!! Teachers in the department all found it quite strange, but still advised me NOT to get a remark?!

WHY!? i dont understand!? I SHOULD have gotten that double a*! and to know that either i missed it by like 0.5% or the exam board actually added up my total up wrong and resulted in a DOUBLE A rather than DOUBLE A*

Ive spoken to my examinations officer and she said that in her 3 years of being one, she had never ever seen a cie grade change, which worries me to no end. Tomorrow, i get the rest of my gcse results (6 of them) which i know that i have failed because of my focus on science.

Does anyone have any advice? Did the exam board make a mistake? Should I have gotten a*? Has anyone had a mark changed by cie? Or am i just being retarded

please please reply...im dying of anxiety

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.