Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Macbook pro or laptop for a computer science course?? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello, i am starting a computer science cource at the University of Sussex in october

I am planning to buy a laptop to use at university, ive got my eyes set on the macbook pro, and was wondering if it is suitable for the course i am taking, or should i buy a windows machine at the same cost?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hades2.0)
    Hello, i am starting a computer science cource at the University of Sussex in october

I am planning to buy a laptop to use at university, ive got my eyes set on the macbook pro, and was wondering if it is suitable for the course i am taking, or should i buy a windows machine at the same cost?
    Purely in terms of spec, a Windows machine will probably be a lot 'better'.

There is Boot camp/Parallels etc. to run Windows on a mac - it works flawlessly in my experience.

ReputationRep:
    Well i'm doing computer science and I got myself a Macbook Pro. You can always install XP in bootcamp on a macbook pro, its much harder to install OS X on a windows laptop.

ReputationRep:
    cool, thanks, so is the course pretty windows intensive, during the lectures and such, or can i use OSX, i will also be bringing my desktop with XP installed with me to uni

ReputationRep:
    Definitely MacBook Pro

ReputationRep:
    Always a mac.

ReputationRep:
    heh, yeah, ive had my eyes set on one for a while, they look amazing!

ReputationRep:
    The department will provide the facilities you need to complete the course, so the OS you pick isn't the end of the world. In any case, you can dual-boot Windows using a Mac (but not the other way around, notably), so if you want a Mac, get one!

ReputationRep:
    NVM don't want apple defenders on my case.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by D3M!)
    NVM don't want apple defenders on my case.
    good, because apple defenders rape you up the bum unlike microsoft's lawyers who just tickle you in the stomach.

ReputationRep:
    Mac book pro ftw fooool

ReputationRep:
    If you want a Mac, just get one; it's as good a reason as any. You'll probably end up dual-booting it with some form of Linux in time anyway.

In my experience, software provided by departments generally seems to be made primarily for Linux, then Windows, *then* Mac; there will probably be something, at some stage, which won't work on a Mac and you'll have to install Linux/Windows on your laptop if you want to use it.

ReputationRep:
    heh, yeah, ive had my eyes set on one for a while, they look amazing!
    oh gosh...

ReputationRep:
    cool, thanks, so is the course pretty windows intensive, during the lectures and such, or can i use OSX, i will also be bringing my desktop with XP installed with me to uni
    Edit: Some lecturers use OSX, others XP, the machines in the CS lab and library run XP, I know at least 2 guys on my course who run Linux. It doesn't make a blind bit of difference what OS you use, but for the love of god, don't bring a desktop.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your help, ill get a macbook pro and dual boot with XP

ReputationRep:
    ...How much are you spending on this MBP?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by omicronlyrae)
    ...How much are you spending on this MBP?
    £910

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GoblinSoul)
    This thread is cringe-worthy coming from a CS student... honestly...

How so?

Im a 4th year CS student and i use a mac running boot camp with Kubuntu.

as far as the Op's question i would say get a mac, will do everything needed in cs comfortably. Generally speaking its not too power hungry (some of the graphicy stuff ive had to do in Java6 is a bit of a drain) and there are plenty of people in class that run osx/Linux without any issues

ReputationRep:
    I'm a bit surprised about a computer science student getting so excited about a Macbook Pro also.

If you have the money, by all means go ahead. If you could think of better things to spend £300-400 on (how much cheaper a decent Windows laptop of similar spec would be), then you're probably best off with a Windows one. Oh, and I believe Macs are still using one mouse button for everything so you might want to invest in an additional mouse if you go the Mac route. I speak as a long-time Mac user (1995-2006) who used to labour under the impression that Macs were much better than PCs, but the moment I switched to the latter I realised how much more friendly they were to 'intermediate' users (no more control-click to emulate right click etc.). I'm talking about an XP-based machine here, not that awful Vista.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sweyn Forkbeard)
    I'm a bit surprised about a computer science student getting so excited about a Macbook Pro also.

If you have the money, by all means go ahead. If you could think of better things to spend £300-400 on (how much cheaper a decent Windows laptop of similar spec would be), then you're probably best off with a Windows one. Oh, and I believe Macs are still using one mouse button for everything so you might want to invest in an additional mouse if you go the Mac route. I speak as a long-time Mac user (1995-2006) who used to labour under the impression that Macs were much better than PCs, but the moment I switched to the latter I realised how much more friendly they were to 'intermediate' users (no more control-click to emulate right click etc.). I'm talking about an XP-based machine here, not that awful Vista.
    However, 7 is awesome.

OP: You seem pretty sold on an MBP, but, given everythnig you've said I can't see why. The reasoning behind your idea seems completely wrong for a CompSci - I know...5, maybe 6 people with Macs doing CompSci, and they all use them because Macs are Unix based and have terminal, and then add a bunch more reasons. They also don't have MBPs, just normal macbooks, because an MBP isn't necessary. it seems to me like a lot of money to spend ion a machine you want for..what I can honestly say I feel are the wrong reasons - for what it's worth, I'm also a CompSci, and I have a Dell which is absolutely superb.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.