Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Macbook pro or laptop for a computer science course?? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    with the macbook line the right click is now tapping two fingers on the track pad or two fingers on the track pad and click. there is a page somewhere describing the multi touch stuff but i seem to have lost it in a bookmark purge on sat

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by omicronlyrae)
    However, 7 is awesome.

OP: You seem pretty sold on an MBP, but, given everythnig you've said I can't see why. The reasoning behind your idea seems completely wrong for a CompSci - I know...5, maybe 6 people with Macs doing CompSci, and they all use them because Macs are Unix based and have terminal, and then add a bunch more reasons. They also don't have MBPs, just normal macbooks, because an MBP isn't necessary. it seems to me like a lot of money to spend ion a machine you want for..what I can honestly say I feel are the wrong reasons - for what it's worth, I'm also a CompSci, and I have a Dell which is absolutely superb.
    It's not about using a Mac for comp sci though. OS X is such a intuititive operating system and once you've learnt how to use it properly you can get around the OS much quicker than in XP. For me, I bought a Mac because I want to use OS X as my normal OS for casual use, I don't plan on using it for Comp Sci related work at all. I'll be triple booting with Ubuntu and XP for such work.

As for the price, it's got the best offer out at the moment. Student discount gives you 15% off and also you get a free ipod touch. So for me, my standard £900 macbook pro cost me only £644. A £600 studio 15 has *slightly* lower specs than the Macbook pro 13inch. So for me, it made sense to buy the macbook pro.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fixesin)
    It's not about using a Mac for comp sci though. OS X is such a intuititive operating system and once you've learnt how to use it properly you can get around the OS much quicker than in XP. For me, I bought a Mac because I want to use OS X as my normal OS for casual use, I don't plan on using it for Comp Sci related work at all. I'll be triple booting with Ubuntu and XP for such work.

As for the price, it's got the best offer out at the moment. Student discount gives you 15% off and also you get a free ipod touch. So for me, my standard £900 macbook pro cost me only £644. A £600 studio 15 has *slightly* lower specs than the Macbook pro 13inch. So for me, it made sense to buy the macbook pro.
    Did you sell the iPod?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sidewalkwhenshewalks)
    Did you sell the iPod?
    Yep, £140 on ebay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by omicronlyrae)
    However, 7 is awesome.

OP: You seem pretty sold on an MBP, but, given everythnig you've said I can't see why. The reasoning behind your idea seems completely wrong for a CompSci - I know...5, maybe 6 people with Macs doing CompSci, and they all use them because Macs are Unix based and have terminal, and then add a bunch more reasons. They also don't have MBPs, just normal macbooks, because an MBP isn't necessary. it seems to me like a lot of money to spend ion a machine you want for..what I can honestly say I feel are the wrong reasons - for what it's worth, I'm also a CompSci, and I have a Dell which is absolutely superb.
    I had a look at the range of dells, and read the reviews. They look pretty good, but their battery life isn't ideal, and they get rather hot (apparently), these are some other reasons why ive got my eyes on the MBP, as the battery lasts for ages, its light, and its cool.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fixesin)

Do you know if that deal applies to iMacs and Mac Pro?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Slick 'n' Shady)
    Do you know if that deal applies to iMacs and Mac Pro?
    Yes it does. It might be slightly different (I'm not on a uni network at the moment to check), but it will apply to iMacs and 'Pro's.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.