Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Women drivers mate. What can you do? If I were you I'd try and track her down but then I've got a lot of time on my hands right now. If you can get access to any footage or go back at the same time another day and get lucky I'd do it like people have suggested.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spasmos)
    Fair enough you don't like motorcyclists, but many car drivers are completely ignorant of us - like in this situation, and end up causing so many accidents, far more then the crazy bikers on country roads do. just last week, a motorcyclist was killed on a main road near where I live because a car driver didn't look properly pulling out of the junction.

Basically, you can't limit your sympathy for OP when he was completely in the right in the situation.

If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all.
    Everything I was going to say.

But tough luck OP, I was once on the back of my dad's back and this **** decided to slam on their brakes at an amber traffic light, hence having to swerve around it and nearly decking it at the same time.

Drivers have absolutely no appreciation of just how easy it is to be killed on a bike, compared to a car.

(Original post by joseph1991)
    drive a car? bikes are so last century...but really, bikes shouldnt be allowed on roads for actual vehicles x
    What? So you can be lazy and not look out for bikes?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zedd)
    I'm not really understanding what happened, were you beside her on the roundabout and she cut across you or what?

Either way, welcome to the club, just be glad you weren't hurt worse than you were.
    Oh ok ... 3 lane round about, I was going straight across, she was in the lane to my right and decided once half way over the juction to do a left.

She tried to accelerated and cut in front of me but instead hit me ...

Got a Harley so the repairs are going to hurt more than my ankle does now!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spasmos)
    Fair enough you don't like motorcyclists, but many car drivers are completely ignorant of us - like in this situation, and end up causing so many accidents, far more then the crazy bikers on country roads do. just last week, a motorcyclist was killed on a main road near where I live because a car driver didn't look properly pulling out of the junction.
    I know, but I have to speak from personal experience only. It's nice to know that someone'll be there to jump down my throat when I do though, I appreciate it.

I'm aware that there's a bit of a divide between the cars and the bikes, and that cars are indeed at fault at least of some of (probably most of, I don't have figures on me) the time. That said, we've had a few fatalities recently, one was especially close to where I live and was much like the one you described. However, there is a bit of a balance to be noted - when the aforementioned fatality came to rest a healthy distance down an open stretch of road, you can assume and then prove (energy laws and that malarky) that he was travelling too fast to start with.

However, on the other hand, I'm sure motorcyclists have to accept these risks. I'm also sure that there are times where these incidents will be completely the fault of the car driver.

ReputationRep:
    drive a car? bikes are so last century...but really, bikes shouldnt be allowed on roads for actual vehicles x
    I have a car but on a day like this even though my car is a quick one the bike is just awesome ... Forgetting nutter car drivers of course ...

ReputationRep:
    Set up a camp at the roundabout.

and when you see her approaching, jump out and shoot her.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Greghouse)
    Oh ok ... 3 lane round about, I was going straight across, she was in the lane to my right and decided once half way over the juction to do a left.

Gotcha. I recently had my ZRX written off thanks to a stupid woman who didn't think to check her mirrors before pulling out and changing road position. Seriously, people not looking around themselves before doing something has to be the main cause of accidents.

Bike & Me + Car = Bike & Me 25ft along the road.

Whenever I do get back into biking I'll probably be opting for track use; fewer idiots to deal with.

ReputationRep:
    I share your anger with car drivers. The situation is getting kinda ridiculous, many (most?) drivers in my area act like cars own the road, full stop, and treat cyclists and motorcyclists like vermin. Every day I am passed by drivers who make absolutely no effort to give me some space, they just carry on as if refusing to acknowledge that a person on a bike has a right to use the road. The number of accidents involving bikes in recent years is quite worrying..

Once I got knocked off my bike by some idiot who pulled out of their drive without checking both sides. Literally ended up flying over the car and hitting the tarmac hard. At least he stopped and showed some decency.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Greghouse)

What Harley you got mate? Beautiful bikes ain't they? I love mine. Would hate for any **** to knock me off it.

ReputationRep:
    lol I'd love to see someone ride a motorbike down the pavement, and when they get stopped be like "someone on tsr said they shouldn't be on the roads!!"
    OP that really bloody sucks, deffo go check if any shops have any CCTV cameras.

Can you blame the woman you can get killed so easily on bikes. If i were her I would be scared I might have killed you so facing up to a murder charge I would take the risk and leg it too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Genocidal)
    Can you blame the woman you can get killed so easily on bikes. If i were her I would be scared I might have killed you so facing up to a murder charge I would take the risk and leg it too.
    You've got that wrong you KILL so easily in CARS!

(Original post by Entangled)
    I'm aware that there's a bit of a divide between the cars and the bikes, and that cars are indeed at fault at least of some of (probably most of, I don't have figures on me) the time. That said, we've had a few fatalities recently, one was especially close to where I live and was much like the one you described. However, there is a bit of a balance to be noted - when the aforementioned fatality came to rest a healthy distance down an open stretch of road, you can assume and then prove (energy laws and that malarky) that he was travelling too fast to start with.

However, on the other hand, I'm sure motorcyclists have to accept these risks. I'm also sure that there are times where these incidents will be completely the fault of the car driver.

Stats form the department of transport 2004, from a survey into motorbike accidents

Ignoring accidents which did not involve a vehicle (which account for i think about a third of the accidents) where 2 vehicles are involved 57% were 2nd driver (ie car/lorry) fault, 22 were the rider's fault, 11% joint, and pedestrians account for 0.3% if my understanding of the stats are right.

Bikes which get killed speeding down long straight roads are normally from rider error, such as not knowing the road, not turning enough, or going too fast to control the bike. That is the riders choice.

However we have as much right to use the motorways and be doing 80 if all the other cars are and riding sensibly. If a car changes lane without signaling, comes off a round about without signaling, how are we meant to know what they are doing. We shouldnt have to take the risk for idiot drivers. The worst bit of an accident is the person getting out of the car and saying - i didnt see you. At that point you want to kill them as it wasnt they didnt see you, its as they didnt look. My prime example being a driving instructor, and if he's not looking then he wont be teaching his pupils to look.

http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roadsafety...orcycleacc.pdf

EDIT: Greghouse really sorry about your bike, but at least you can replace it and your still alive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bathwiggle)
    However we have as much right to use the motorways and be doing 80 if all the other cars are and riding sensibly.
    I've been brought up to accept that the speed limit is indeed a limit. Both sets (drivers and riders) lose a few privileges with my sympathy if they push beyond the law - both sets are equally at fault, but riders risk a bit more by doing so.

We have to remember, of course, that motorcyclists, from time to time, don't signal either. So, vice versa, this makes it difficult for the driver (and indeed other riders) to map out what's happening. From what I've gathered from experience, there seems to be a bit of an opinion, again from time to time, that the motorbike is a lighter vehicle that can accelerate it's way out of trouble.

Of course, I wouldn't level any of this at the OP. You're pretty unlikely to be speeding on a roundabout (at least at a time where there are other vehicles around). And of course there should be a bit of decency shown on the part of all road users, no matter what they're using at the time. I personally think that a proper first aid course built into all practical tests could do wonders for the situation.

ReputationRep:
    Bikers: Speeding twice the national speed limit and cut up traffic even more than humanly possible. I will laugh every time something bad happens to you.
    If you are one of the few decent ones, I'm sorry brah.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hylean)
    What Harley you got mate? Beautiful bikes ain't they? I love mine. Would hate for any **** to knock me off it.
    It's just a old 2002 883 custom sportster (Also got a 2004 Buell firebolt!) .

I do love it and if you're an owner you know what they sound like with the stage 1 kit on them so it's not like she didn't see or hear me!

Damage noticed by me so far, handle bar is bent, headlight casing scratched and indicators on the left are broken. And fornt wheel buggered! It's not going into gear properly so that must have been jarred too but kinda looks ok?!?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zedd)
    Gotcha. I recently had my ZRX written off thanks to a stupid woman who didn't think to check her mirrors before pulling out and changing road position. Seriously, people not looking around themselves before doing something has to be the main cause of accidents.

Bike & Me + Car = Bike & Me 25ft along the road.

Whenever I do get back into biking I'll probably be opting for track use; fewer idiots to deal with.
    I do know what you mean but I'm not into big speed on my bikes I prefer to save tracks and stuff for my car.

I just love the freedom of a bike and mainly just cruise ...

ReputationRep:
    cyclists should just stay off the roads

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pinturicchio)
    Bikers: Speeding twice the national speed limit and cut up traffic even more than humanly possible. I will laugh every time something bad happens to you.
    If you are one of the few decent ones, I'm sorry brah.
    Oohh ... I'd neg rep you if I was that way inclined.

I guess I am one of the decent ones but I don't think I'm in the minority, yes you do get some bad bikers but in the same way as you get some bad drivers.

I don't think you should generalise and let the actions of a few affect your opinions of them all.

Bikes do weave but most do it safely because they know it's only themselves they're putting at risk. The bike will ALWAYS come off worse.

Next time a bike does weave in front of you, just check that you're not just annoyed that they've got in front or did they make you have to do something in your car to avoid them, if they did I see your point.

A lot of the time, when people cars or bikes get in front of other drivers they get annoyed and blame their reckless driving for them getting angry or being late, but in fact they've not really done anything and not really affected their overall journey time.

As for the twice the legal speed limit comment, I think that most bikers that I come across will go a little bit quicker than the cars around them if it's safe to do so allowing them to filter through traffic and I guess some will, if the road is clear, do more that “go a little quicker”.

But once again are you honestly telling me that you and other car drives don't take the opportunity to put your foot down if the circumstances allow?

ReputationRep:
    a similar thing happened to me and my bike still isnt repaired ( need me a fairing) sO I hope she gets caught.

I won't even go into some of the idiot drivers I've encountered over the past 24 hours :mad:

ReputationRep:
    Ouch!
    Sorry to hear that mate, god I'd be sooo angry if someone failed to stop.

Grrr.

I'll increase your amount of gems if it makes you feel better heheh.

*pos reps*

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.