Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I just wanted to gather peoples thoughts on whether parliamentary democracy is the best/worst form of government for the UK. History taught us that benevolent dictators always seemed to run things better than any elected institution.

ReputationRep:
    I don't trust the average person to make critical decisions for the average people , I think a select few governing the majority would be the best choice . the only problem I have is deciding who those select few should be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yeahm8justhavina****)
    I just wanted to gather peoples thoughts on whether parliamentary democracy is the best/worst form of government for the UK. History taught us that benevolent dictators always seemed to run things better than any elected institution.
    To which dictators are you referring? In my mind a benevolent dictator is a contradiction, if the dictator is benevolent then why doesn't he ask the people if they want him to rule them?

Not parliamentary democracy, no.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yeahm8justhavina****)
    Parliamentary democracy is brilliant to watch- you can't deny that...

ReputationRep:
    I certainly don't think representative democracy in the UK is perfect - it's far too adversarial. However, I do think that people in the UK are very short-termist, and very media-influence (most people read The Sun). I think that a (trustworthy, intelligent) representative, who acts in the best interests of his or her constituents, is a better state of affairs than any form of direct democracy.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.