Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey there guys,

I'll get straight to the point and say that I've currently got an offer for BBB for Manchester to study German & Chinese (yes I know its an interesting combination).

For alevel I did Maths, Economics, French and German and I spent a lot of time debating over what I would study and I've only recently realised I'd probably want to do Economics with German.

Now I'm pretty sure I remember seeing a course for this on UoM's website (though I can't seem to find it now).

So what I am interested in hearing is your views on being able to change course (before I get to uni). In terms of grades, I know Economics needs higher grades, but I should be on track for AAB or with some luck hopefully more. I'm going to contact the uni to see what they say, but if anyone maybe has also thought of switching, or current students have changed their course in the past, let me know how if you think the uni would allow a switch like that.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    yes, they are relatively flexible. I know lots of people who have changed courses at various points. it all depends on whether they have the space on the course, are you wanting to apply for the BA or BEconSci? the latter is more competitive. university places are especially in demand this year, but that's the only thing I can think of that might make it more difficult, the uni itself is usually pretty good about course switching.

ReputationRep:
    i switched from pharmacy to chemistry which is kinda different as i was switching to a less competitive course. But it prooves that switching courses is definately possible before going starting your course. I first emailed my the department i was switching to and asked if it was possible, they then told me i had to ring up the department i currently had an offer from and get 'released'. After that i informed the department of the new course i was released and it went from there and i switched over easily and it changed track etc. For me the process was relatively simple...

I think this was all so easy for me as chemistry was in extra which meant there were spaces left and also my offer for chemistry was lower than my pharmacy offer. I hear economics is more popular so this may not be the case so i cant say whether that exact switch is possible.

ReputationRep:
    I changed course before I got to Manchester, but a few months earlier than this. I originally applied for Mathematics with Statistics (offer AAB) and swapped to Chemistry with Forensic Science (offer ABB). They were really nice but you deal with the department you want to switch to so it depends on where you're going to and how accomodating they are. Just try really, they might have more spaces than you think.

ReputationRep:
    Your original offer was for German & Chinese, correct?
    This offer is BBB.
    I very much doubt that any course that has Economics would also ask for a BBB, it would at least be ABB, so I would say that if you do end up getting ABB or above, it is worth a mention. As has been said in this thread, UoM are pretty flexible with people changing courses, however I haven't heard of anyone who changed courses before they got to university (especially so late). I know of a person who switched from Mathematics to Anatomy this year, but it was after he had been in Manchester. He had to go through a procedural "interview" process but his claim was accepted.
    However, I cant seem to find a course that is "Economics with German". Or Economics with any other language per se.
    University of Manchester's full list of all course with Economics involved can be found here. Apart from this I would recommend that you contact the department(s) (Economics & Language) immediately and explain the situation:

Undergraduate
    Amanda Grimshaw
    Undergraduate Admissions Manager
    Email:[email protected] .ac.uk
    Tel: 0161 275 4748
    Don't email. Call them.

ReputationRep:
    It also might be an idea to look up Manchester's LEAP programme - if you want to continue with your language, but can't take a combined honours course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TI-84)
    As has been said in this thread, UoM are pretty flexible with people changing courses, however I haven't heard of anyone who changed courses before they got to university (especially so late). I know of a person who switched from Mathematics to Anatomy this year, but it was after he had been in Manchester. He had to go through a procedural "interview" process but his claim was accepted.
    If you read my post, I changed before I got there :p: After the interview stage, they gave me a conditional offer, and I swapped in between then and results day.

ReputationRep:
    im hoping to swap my course at lincoln from forensic science to biomedical science... worried that im too late though!
    aah really hope they let me :s

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emilylouise23)
    im hoping to swap my course at lincoln from forensic science to biomedical science... worried that im too late though!
    aah really hope they let me :s
    Might be best off posting in the Lincoln forum then

Here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=238

ReputationRep:
    yeah you have clearing and adjustment so can go through them

or can contact your uni and ask after results if a choice of course change is available

ReputationRep:
    I see more and more people applying for German and Chinese, strange :holmes:
    Anyway, I think you were talking about this course, but even if you get the grade, I wouldn't hold much hope, the degree is stupidly competitive, and since they tend to give more offers than they have places, they may not have any places anymore.

Otherwise, you could do something a bit similar which is German and Business and Management but it'll be much easier to switch, I think, as the requirements are the same and you did both your subjects at A-Level. In any case, call them ASAP and after your results as well, to see if it's still possible. Good luck in any case!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.