Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,
    I am starting college next month taking Biology, Chemistry, Psychology and English language (AS then A2). I'm going for a career in medicine, and I have just a few things I need answering that I'm struggling to find relevant posts for on the site.

Firstly I know Bio/Chem pretty much necessities for medicine, just wondering if you think the other 2 are good choices. Starting work experience very soon been ringing round doctors surgeries, hospices etc and think I have a couple of long-term placements lined up.
    I really enjoy both English and Psychology and think Psych will be quite helpful in the medical profession, right?

Secondly, I have been working for the past 3 years since leaving school (I'm now 19), and on leaving school I achieved these results. I've noticed some controversy about whether GCSE's are important/completely disregarded when it comes to Universities, and that A-Levels override them, just after a little confirmation, as it all seems a bit blurry.

(Poor GCSE results due to messing around at school - predicted A's throughout first 3 years of high school and have always been in Gifted/Talented classes and fasttrack at school before I arsed around - Putting my mind entirely to this and find sciences very interesting - recapping science GCSE as we speak to prep for college next month - I can and will achieve the AAAa/AABb sort of grades required, I just don't want the GCSE's stopping my entries)
    English Language (B)
    English Literature (B)
    Mathematics (B)
    Music (B)
    Double Award Science (C,C)
    Geography (C)
    Statistics (C)
    I.C.T (C)

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance for your help, and keep up the good work [this forums been reet helpful ]

Cheers,
    Jamie

ReputationRep:
    I dont want to sound unhelpful, but Id advise to ask for this thread to be moved to the medicine forum's "Am i good enough for Medicine angst Thread" for help directly from people in the know. You'll likely to get a lot of misleading advice in this section.

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I would say that GCSE grades are of great significance in a Medicine application as this is a highly competitive course and a better GCSE grade profile differentiates one from other candidates.
    However, I also believe that if you can show a dramatic improvement in your AS and A-level grade profile, and can express your enthusiasm for the course well in your personal statement, then you will be of equal chance.

Check this link out as it's a common myth to believe that one should have an A*/A grade profile in order to apply for Medicine.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...E_Requirements

ReputationRep:
    Cheers guys, cleared that up easy enough, what do you reckon to Psychology and English as 3rd n 4th subjects?

ReputationRep:
    in terms of respectability psychology and english language arent the best. if you want to take english, take english literature - language is seen as pretty poop. id also encourage you to take maths instead of psychology, but i know maths is abit of a marmite subject.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Val733)
    Poor GCSE results due to messing around at school - predicted A's throughout first 3 years of high school and have always been in Gifted/Talented classes and fasttrack at school before I arsed around
    This I don't buy. I know people who messed around from year 7 to year 11 and still came out with a string of A* grades at GCSE.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BJack)
    This I don't buy. I know people who messed around from year 7 to year 11 and still came out with a string of A* grades at GCSE.
    This; if you're supposedly that intelligent, then it's not particularly difficult to get more than a C in science

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revolution is my Name)
    This; if you're supposedly that intelligent, then it's not particularly difficult to get more than a C in science
    It depends on the school and quality of teaching. Good public school, perhaps you're right. Naff comprehensive, then a string of A*s is much much harder to get, whether you work hard or not.

ReputationRep:
    Hey i got an offer for medicine this year, but to be honest with you your grades are reeally not up to the standard i mean that in the nicest possible way. Most universities want straight A*/A's like QUB ask for8A* Birmingham 7A*'s and london edinburgh ask 8A* thats just a few.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Winniepig)
    It depends on the school and quality of teaching. Good public school, perhaps you're right. Naff comprehensive, then a string of A*s is much much harder to get, whether you work hard or not.
    I dunno; I go to a reasonably naff comprehensive, and there were plenty of people for GCSE Science last year who put in borderline no effort besides turning up (and often not even that), did very little revision, and yet, because they were reasonably intelligent people, were able to get A*'s, A's or B's

ReputationRep:
    My offer is for liverpool and they ask for15 points with A*/A=2points and B = 1 point. Many universities assess GCSE's and have what they call a threshold if u meet the threshold u pass the first stage if u like but from ur grades u only have 4 points

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hey1001)
    Hey i got an offer for medicine this year, but to be honest with you your grades are reeally not up to the standard i mean that in the nicest possible way. Most universities want straight A*/A's like QUB ask for8A* Birmingham 7A*'s and london edinburgh ask 8A* thats just a few.

I haven't looked at the OP's grades lol, but bear in mind you have just listed the universities with the strictest GCSE requirements. :p: Most places won't be anywhere near as strict as that with GCSEs, but obviously the higher the better.

ReputationRep:
    Most Medical schools want at least an A for Science GCSE as a entry requirement and I'm sure some want A in Maths and English Lang too. Check prospectuses for more info.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revolution is my Name)
    I dunno; I go to a reasonably naff comprehensive, and there were plenty of people for GCSE Science last year who put in borderline no effort besides turning up (and often not even that), did very little revision, and yet, because they were reasonably intelligent people, were able to get A*'s, A's or B's
    I also went to such a school, and only one person got A* in Science or Maths - and worked very hard for it. Unless it's somewhere like Birmingham, there isn't much importance placed on GCSEs as long as the entry requirements are met, as it should be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pow!)
    in terms of respectability psychology and english language arent the best. if you want to take english, take english literature - language is seen as pretty poop. id also encourage you to take maths instead of psychology, but i know maths is abit of a marmite subject.
    This is a load of rubbish.

OP, you should choose the subjects you enjoy. As long as you have the required grades in the required subjects, the university don't care what your other a levels are as long as you get the grades. I myself chose English and Psychology and whilst I wouldn't really say A level psychology has actually helped me on the course (asides from some background knowledge on anorexia nervosa, schizophrenia et c.) they do show that you are a well rounded person with a variety of academic interests if anything.

Good luck with your application.

ReputationRep:
    Yeh thse places are strict but every medical school is strict.
    look at all the medical school prospectus's and they say the minimum requirements and this is often very misleading. Applicants applying all have the minimum and reallydoexceed these requirements. People applying to medicine arent going to have these grades at GCSE and thts being honest. Look at most websites and you will see the number of applications. e.g bristol had nearlly 3000 applicants with only 256 places. do u really think with those grades ull stand a chance. I just like to be realistic and their isnt any point beating about bush.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Val733)
    Hi all,
    I am starting college next month taking Biology, Chemistry, Psychology and English language (AS then A2). I'm going for a career in medicine, and I have just a few things I need answering that I'm struggling to find relevant posts for on the site.

Firstly I know Bio/Chem pretty much necessities for medicine, just wondering if you think the other 2 are good choices. Starting work experience very soon been ringing round doctors surgeries, hospices etc and think I have a couple of long-term placements lined up.
    I really enjoy both English and Psychology and think Psych will be quite helpful in the medical profession, right?

Secondly, I have been working for the past 3 years since leaving school (I'm now 19), and on leaving school I achieved these results. I've noticed some controversy about whether GCSE's are important/completely disregarded when it comes to Universities, and that A-Levels override them, just after a little confirmation, as it all seems a bit blurry.

(Poor GCSE results due to messing around at school - predicted A's throughout first 3 years of high school and have always been in Gifted/Talented classes and fasttrack at school before I arsed around - Putting my mind entirely to this and find sciences very interesting - recapping science GCSE as we speak to prep for college next month - I can and will achieve the AAAa/AABb sort of grades required, I just don't want the GCSE's stopping my entries)
    English Language (B)
    English Literature (B)
    Mathematics (B)
    Music (B)
    Double Award Science (C,C)
    Geography (C)
    Sta
    tistics (C)
    I.C.T (C)

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance for your help, and keep up the good work [this forums been reet helpful ]

Cheers,
    Jamie
    My friend this year applied to medicine at:-

UCL
    Bristol
    Nottingham
    Cambridge

with GCSE Grades:-

2 A*
    7 A

and did not get an offer from either. He also had experience in a surgery, a part time job and a good personal statement. I would suggest you thinjk carefully before applying with those GCSE results to be honest.

Im sure if you took a year out, retook some GCSE's and found some voluntary work in a surgery, you would be much better equiped for a university application in two years time

Also, a university may ask your college (GCSE) for a reference if they want to know why you did not achieve high GCSE grades. It doesnt sound like you reference would be great.

Sorry to not give you a positive insight, but medicine is extremely hard to get into.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Winniepig)
    I also went to such a school, and only one person got A* in Science or Maths - and worked very hard for it.
    Your school must be considerably naffer than mine then if that's the case

ReputationRep:
    In my opinion psychology and english are both mickey mouse subjects :P in comparison to physics and maths that you could chose anyway, but theres no doubt you can still study medicine in virtually all schools with those subjects (not sure oxbridge would like it though)

I would say GCSE results are very important, however i got 10A* and 4A at GCSE, and 5A's at AS level and only ended up with 1 offer this year for medicine, despite it being my top choice thats not the point. got a high ukcat score and did lots of work experience

What im saying is i wouldnt discount yourself applying for medicine despite those poor GCSE's, as its impossible to guess what the unis are really looking for and how they evaluate the application, however you are going to be significantly below par compared to 90% of the other applicants, so make sure you get the other parts of your application spot on

ReputationRep:
    Sheffield say ;http://www.shef.ac.uk/medicine/prosp...ryrequire.html = minimum 6A's
    ON UCAS IT SAYS

Bristol = 8A*/A's check website it says specifically. in FAQ

Cambirdge and oxford in a league of theirown

Cardiff- go on points 3 for A* 2 for A and they ask for 23 points

EasT Anglia say on ucas Six GCSE subjects at grade A or above including English, Mathematics and Science

Aberdeen ask for A's in most subjects including sciences-

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.