Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Thts just a few but they are all similar Ive applied so Ive read every prospectus there is the facts are there for people who say its a myth

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 8EnglishRoses)
    This is a load of rubbish.

OP, you should choose the subjects you enjoy. As long as you have the required grades in the required subjects, the university don't care what your other a levels are as long as you get the grades. I myself chose English and Psychology and whilst I wouldn't really say A level psychology has actually helped me on the course (asides from some background knowledge on anorexia nervosa, schizophrenia et c.) they do show that you are a well rounded person with a variety of academic interests if anything.

Good luck with your application.
    no it isnt 'a load of rubbish', its just not what you want to hear because they were subjects you took.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Woody91)
    In my opinion psychology and english are both mickey mouse subjects :P in comparison to physics and maths that you could chose anyway, but theres no doubt you can still study medicine in virtually all schools with those subjects (not sure oxbridge would like it though)

I would say GCSE results are very important, however i got 10A* and 4A at GCSE, and 5A's at AS level and only ended up with 1 offer this year for medicine, despite it being my top choice thats not the point. got a high ukcat score and did lots of work experience

What im saying is i wouldnt discount yourself applying for medicine despite those poor GCSE's, as its impossible to guess what the unis are really looking for and how they evaluate the application, however you are going to be significantly below par compared to 90% of the other applicants, so make sure you get the other parts of your application spot on
    They aren't really mickey mouse subjects. The sciences aren't the only worthwhile subjects. :p:

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=pow!] totally agree

ReputationRep:
    yeh but not if ur applying for medicine!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by LJBzzz)
    My friend this year applied to medicine at:-

UCL
    Bristol
    Nottingham
    Cambridge

with GCSE Grades:-

2 A*
    7 A

and did not get an offer from either. He also had experience in a surgery, a part time job and a good personal statement. I would suggest you thinjk carefully before applying with those GCSE results to be honest.
    Did he get rejected because of his GCSEs? I've spoken to people on here who have got in with average GCSE grades (although I'm talking mostly As and Bs) and they've got in. Considering only 33% of applicants get an offer, he may have just had some rotten luck. Plus, he chose the wrong schools; I wouldn't have applied to Cambridge with those grades, considering they say on average an applicant has 8 A*s.

OP, don't give up. A lot of the time it's down to luck. Medical schools give you plenty of other opportunities to prove yourself. Firstly, your AS levels - BSMS say poor GCSEs will be overridden with good ASs. Then, your UKCAT - Barts put a LOT of emphasis on it. A guy at my school flunked his GCSEs and ASs, but got 740 in his UKCAT and got a place. Kings rank you according to your no. of A*s and your UKCAT score, so if you did exceptionally well (although you'd probably have to get 700+) you'd have a chance. Then there's your work experience, hobbies, and your PS; if you excel in these areas a lot of places will look at you. BSMS say non-academic criteria is just as important as grades. So, excellent ASs + strong UKCAT + decent work experience + plenty of hobbies + well-written PS = a chance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by felt_monkey)
    Did he get rejected because of his GCSEs? I've spoken to people on here who have got in with average GCSE grades (although I'm talking mostly As and Bs) and they've got in. Considering only 33% of applicants get an offer, he may have just had some rotten luck. Plus, he chose the wrong schools; I wouldn't have applied to Cambridge with those grades, considering they say on average an applicant has 8 A*s.

OP, don't give up. A lot of the time it's down to luck. Medical schools give you plenty of other opportunities to prove yourself. Firstly, your AS levels - BSMS say poor GCSEs will be overridden with good ASs. Then, your UKCAT - Barts put a LOT of emphasis on it. A guy at my school flunked his GCSEs and ASs, but got 740 in his UKCAT and got a place. Kings rank you according to your no. of A*s and your UKCAT score, so if you did exceptionally well (although you'd probably have to get 700+) you'd have a chance. Then there's your work experience, hobbies, and your PS; if you excel in these areas a lot of places will look at you. BSMS say non-academic criteria is just as important as grades. So, excellent ASs + strong UKCAT + decent work experience + plenty of hobbies + well-written PS = a chance.
    I honestly could not tell you. But he is the most dedicated person I know to his studies, and it was really sad to see him have to take a gap year. He seemed like an ideal candidate for a place. I think he thought his grades would take him through at UCL, Bristol and Notts, so he could afford to apply to Cambridge.

Nevermind, he is currently planning a 6 month trip to East Africa, which looks amazing. Definately something else to put on his CV for next year. Oh yeah, he didnt get a great entry exam score, which probably counted against him I spose.

ReputationRep:
    My friend this year applied to medicine at:-

UCL
    Bristol
    Nottingham
    Cambridge

with GCSE Grades:-

2 A*
    7 A

and did not get an offer from either. He also had experience in a surgery, a part time job and a good personal statement. I would suggest you thinjk carefully before applying with those GCSE results to be honest.

Im sure if you took a year out, retook some GCSE's and found some voluntary work in a surgery, you would be much better equiped for a university application in two years time

Also, a university may ask your college (GCSE) for a reference if they want to know why you did not achieve high GCSE grades. It doesnt sound like you reference would be great.

Sorry to not give you a positive insight, but medicine is extremely hard to get into.
    OP ignore this

It's this sort of useless **** that really annoys me in here

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sidewalkwhenshewalks)
    OP ignore this

It's this sort of useless **** that really annoys me in here
    10 Warnings?

hmm why should anyone listen to what you say?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pow!)
    no it isnt 'a load of rubbish', its just not what you want to hear because they were subjects you took.
    It is a load of rubbish. Yes it is true that Maths may be more respected by some than Psychology but you're not at any disadvantage if you take Psychology over Maths because the university doesn't care. If they did, it would be a requirement. The OP should choose the subjects they will enjoy the most because they will be more likely to do well in them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BJack)
    This I don't buy. I know people who messed around from year 7 to year 11 and still came out with a string of A* grades at GCSE.
    why dont you buy it?

ReputationRep:
    10 Warnings?

hmm why should anyone listen to what you say?
    Because i got an offer for medicine last year with what are considered mediocre GCSEs?

EDIT: nice PM by the way

ReputationRep:
    the voice of reason SW!

(Original post by Hey1001)
    Hey i got an offer for medicine this year, but to be honest with you your grades are reeally not up to the standard i mean that in the nicest possible way. Most universities want straight A*/A's like QUB ask for8A* Birmingham 7A*'s and london edinburgh ask 8A* thats just a few.
    well 'just a few' isnt 'most', is it?

PLUS, all the ones you mentioned offer alternative routes that donmt demand 8 A*s.

ReputationRep:
    and it was really sad to see him have to take a gap year.
    its more the usual thing. not sure why its sad. unless perhaps they were at the kind of school that sends 10+ peeple off to oxbridge and med skool every year? then he'd be the odd one out, kind of topsy turvy but i can see that makes sense in that environment.

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, I have 3 GCSEs that I took a year early and got 3 x B.
    Now due to a death of someone close to me I will not get the A*`s and As that I was predicted and I think I will get Mainly Bs with the odd A. Do medical schools account for extenuating circumstances??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sidewalkwhenshewalks)
    Because i got an offer for medicine last year with what are considered mediocre GCSEs?
    Okay, that is a valid reason. But, at the same time I didnt say there was any harm in applying, but I said if he took a gap year, he would then be more prepared.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gizmo!)
    its more the usual thing. not sure why its sad. unless perhaps they were at the kind of school that sends 10+ peeple off to oxbridge and med skool every year? then he'd be the odd one out, kind of topsy turvy but i can see that makes sense in that environment.
    I, being his freind and seeing how committed he is, thought it was sad. He is an ideal condidate, and I dont like seeing people practically lose a year of their lives, if they are not doing anything constructive, when they could be earning a degree and helping our national health service in the long run.

ReputationRep:
    yes i can see it unusual for you to see someone to take a gap year for medicine.

well, i'm sure they've lost a year of there life going to africa and earning money to buy what they want, doing nothing contructive in the slightest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wombat678)
    Hi guys, I have 3 GCSEs that I took a year early and got 3 x B.
    Now due to a death of someone close to me I will not get the A*`s and As that I was predicted and I think I will get Mainly Bs with the odd A. Do medical schools account for extenuating circumstances??
    You should ask this in the "Am I Good Enough For Medicine?" thread that appears at the top of the forum. You'll get useless replies from people who are not even medical students otherwise.

The short answer is yes. You can explain any extenuating circumstances in your personal statement and your teachers can explain in your reference I believe. As and Bs are good enough for a lot of medical schools anyway - but you will need to check requirements for the individual medical schools. This information can be found on their websites or prospectuses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pow!)
    Well if you haven't noticed, they're already at medical school

Besides, OP you get 5,5,9 + in the BMAT and ucl would probably take a look (ref to their website). There are also interviews given out to those with less than that. They're looking for potential.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.