Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Ok. Here goes.

I have a part-time job as a waitress with a catering company.
    I have been suffering with depression, panic attacks, social anxiety and general stress/anxiety problems for over 4 years.

My job is a nightmare - the day before I go to work I spend all day dreading the next day and I barely get any sleep because I'm just worrying.

I don't get on with all the people I work with and Im just constantly worrying/panicking all day - I feel sick, I don't talk to anyone (usually partly because of tiredness from lack of sleep as well) and I just try to get through the day but it's hell.

On my last shift my manager kept yelling at me, telling me to wake up and that I was ruining the company's reputation and basically threatened to fire me as I'd been there for over a year and am still rubbish at my job. I burst into tears and then felt like an idiot for crying - and all the other people I was working with at the time started talking about it and some were even laughing.

I mean its horrible - I'm so stressed the whole day that sometimes I even stutter and almost forget how to speak! One guest asked me what the choice of drink was and I completely blanked and started stuttering!

I'm on a gap year atm and I'm doing this part-time (going to uni 2010). I hate it so much and I'm thinking then surely I should quit - but then I'd feel like a failure for quitting it when others can obviously get on with it - most of the newbies are waayyy better than me at it. But my dad won't let me quit until I find a new job and there is nothing around at the moment.

Any help?

ReputationRep:
    I'm guessing your female, you seem emotionally charged..

Quit your job, it may not be beneficial financially, but sometimes to move on you have to let go of things of importance, if you're Dad - is really the only thing stopping you from quitting then you obviously aren't communicating with him very well, no dad would make there child with anxiety problems do anything they couldn't handle - take it from someone who currently suffers from health anxiety.

Yeah I am female :p: I'm pretty stressed out with other stuff at home etc too which doesnt help!

But if I quit...I have no income whatsoever and I have things to pay for and rent to pay (my parents charge me rent)

Sorry to hear youre suffering too. My dad doesn't understand and won't listen unfortunately - he just tells me to get on with it.

ReputationRep:
    Quit your job! It's not your career and you only do it part time so get out, it isn't worth it!

ReputationRep:
    Oh Please quit your job. Who wants to be good at waitressing anyway. Spend your time doing something you enjoy. That would be far more beneficial than money really.

ReputationRep:
    Quit. You could always go to Uni this year through clearing, especially if your easy about which Uni/course

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Respect4Acting)
    I'm guessing your female, you seem emotionally charged..
    No **** =
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I have a part-time job as a waitress with a catering company.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like your life was already a struggle. A bit hard to blame the job!

What help are you getting, hun?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I am female :p: I'm pretty stressed out with other stuff at home etc too which doesnt help!

But if I quit...I have no income whatsoever and I have things to pay for and rent to pay (my parents charge me rent)

Sorry to hear youre suffering too. My dad doesn't understand and won't listen unfortunately - he just tells me to get on with it.
    I think you're parents are being unreasonable, If you really can't quit you're job you have to look for a new job whilst working..... Whatever happens you have to work up to a way to leave your job that's the only solution, good luck!

(Original post by Mint_Imp3rial)
    Quit. You could always go to Uni this year through clearing, especially if your easy about which Uni/course
    The only problem is I really like the uni I applied for and I applied for history which is a very competitive course so I doubt there will be any clearing?

ReputationRep:
    Can you get signed off sick??

My aunts been signed off sick with stress from her new promotion, she thought she was a proper wimp but went to the doctor in the end and he signed her off straight away.

(Original post by EskimoJo)
    Sounds like your life was already a struggle. A bit hard to blame the job!

What help are you getting, hun?
    Nothing at the moment. I used to see a mental health professional but they closed my records. Gone to the doctors etc but nothing has ever come from it thats been beneficial to me.

ReputationRep:
    Sigh. Go hide in a corner forever, you obviously can't cope with the real World.

Go and watch Disney, hopefully the bunny wabbits won't scare you.

ReputationRep:

You need to have a heart to heart with your parents and MAKE them understand how much that job is affecting you. Your dad thinks your being soft and probably wants you to be prepared for the 'real' world. He doesn't know or understand how much it is affecting you. Talk to him again and don't give up, especially if the job is affecting you this much. Your colleagues (dunno if spelt right) sound like p*****

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    Sigh. Go hide in a corner forever, you obviously can't cope with the real World.

lol harsh but funny at the same time

ReputationRep:
    The only problem is I really like the uni I applied for and I applied for history which is a very competitive course so I doubt there will be any clearing?
    Aye, but if the Uni your applying to is anything like mine, the Histroy cohort was HUGE (300+). If you phone the Uni, they might be able to tell you if there is going to be any places in clearing. They should know by now I would of thought. When are the results this year? Must be soon...

ReputationRep:
    Quit, no job is worth that stress and anxiety.
    That there are no jobs around atm is a myth - there are jobs, you just have to find them.
    Check all the supermarket websites (many ask you to apply online - theres a high chance you'll find a job in your area that way)
    Drop CV's into local businesses, clothes shops, restaurants (if you can stand the waitressing there) estate agents, solicitors, anything you can think of.

If you still can't find yourself a job, offer to work around the house doing errands and chores in return for your rent (in part or full) for you mum and dad for a while until you find a new job, and explain to them why you are quitting your job, I'm sure they will understand.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)

recession butthurt :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_t)
    recession butthurt :P

Go and die a_t. Srsly.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, if you really do have to stick at it, here's a few tips.

Firstly, make an effort to talk to people, your colleagues is always a good place to start.. I worked an 8 hour shift today after 3 hours sleep, the last thing I did was want to talk, but the banter, and generally having someone to talk to while working makes things go quicker, and it will relax you.

You have no reason to be worried when you approach a customer, if you don't know the answer just say you don't know, and you'll have to ask another member of staff, no shame in that.

You say you don't want to quite because of your dad and the whole failure thing, well think about it, to get ANYWHERE in life, you need to be able to interact with other people with a small amount of confidence, what's going to happen at interviews for your Uni?

I wait tables, I don't really enjoy it, I'd rather be out back chilling with the chefs and washing up, but when it comes to it, I know I have a crap telephone manner, and generally with customers as I don't speak that clearly, instead of worrying of looking like an idiot, I just treat it as an experience, I come across all chirpy, make sure I'm talking clearly and I'm just to the point, the customers and your colleagues are only human.

This job, is the step between College/School and Uni, treat it as a new learning oppurtunity, where you can build up the way you come across to people, and seem more confident, let's be honest, if you work on it, come interviews etc, you are going to be breezing them.

Trust me, give it a shot, and seriously, don't care what other people think or say, be completely self-centred and use your job as an opportunity to develop yourself! :yes:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 14, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.