Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The British Army's recruitment heartlands Watch

ReputationRep:
    The army is full of racist such as Prince Harry!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klezmatic)
    Charming, your definition of a good career is returning home in a coffin at the age of 19. And if, perhaps, you're lucky enough to survive, they'll claw back the compensation you're owed after having your leg blown off in the service of British imperialism.
    There are near as makes no difference 100,000 british army personnel, what percentage of them end up dead or seriously injured? Hardly any. They know the risks when they sign up. Just because you're a coward, don't assume other don't mind risking their lives for this country.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KinkyBear)
    The army is full of racist such as Prince Harry!
    I don't know what's more wrong, your comment or your grammar.

ReputationRep:
    Many Ex-Soldiers seem weird when they come back
    (most cant get jobs and theyve seen alot of gruesome sh1t

I dont see why they would want to join even if you live in a slum, you can get grants and loans to go to university and make something of yourself..

There are so many universities and courses you can get in with almost any results if your a levels..

I dont buy into the whole disadvantaged area thing, i grew up in one and im applying this year...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ScotlandStandUp)
    That's debatable, I like the idea of keeping kids off the streets by giving them something to do, but sending them to the frontline to kill someone isn't really what I had in mind, army veterans have absolutely no future when they finish their service and are left behind, like they were at the start. Used and abused is what the BA does to people.

Ok a few points:
    1) Not all soldiers are combatants, so they probably aren't being sent to the frontline to kill someone.

2) No job prospects? In the army you have a huge opporunity to train in many skills and develop many areas of your CV from doing extra GCSE/A levels right through to part-time degrees and GNVQs.

3) The army has organisations within itself to ensure their soldiers are employable and actually more attractive as employess including the ETS.

4)In th media we tend to see the bad side of what happens to people in the army. It is unfortunate that some times the army cannot provide a perfect environment for it's soldiers but that is more the governments fault than the army.

No future when they leave?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ScotlandStandUp)
    It really isn't suprising as only 2 people from my class will make it to university, me being one of them(hopefully).
    Go you :cool:

(Original post by L i b)
    Of course they'd sign up tomorrow if there was a large scale invasion of Parkhead...
    I'll be defending Turnstile 29

ReputationRep:
    Privates the North , Officers the South.

ReputationRep:
    Some people on here make it sound like the army is a career of last resort for drop outs and losers, but people like that wouldn't have the mental toughness to hack the army. I don't go for all the brainwashed heroworship of the military that they have in the US, but soldiers have my respect.

And despite what some on here might think, most people in the army join because they actually want to, not because they are 'prey' to some army recruiters.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 10, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.