Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Annnyyyyy idea.. I sit down and think.. and come up with a figure and then 2 minutes later I go " oh crap I forgot to add this " :P
    So then I just thought I might as well ask someone who's been there and done that.
    there are so many things that happen in the first 2-3 weeks... mostly related freshers fest and what not :P so roughly what would you reckon my budget should be ...
    or maybe if you can't say much about my own budget, you could give your experience?

ReputationRep:
    I probably spent about 950 quid in freshers week (that included my 550 pound catered rent). Though I did have 2000 coming in from grants and employment etc. I'd say most of my money went on entertainment (about 200) and books (about 150). Oh yeah and a lot of money went on public transport. We took a lot of train rides and taxis into the city in September/October lol.

So yeah I went a bit crazy, but I could have saved money by buying old textbooks (which I hardly used anyway), taking buses instead of taxis, and not going to pre-bars before hitting the big clubs.
    Hope you have a great freshers

ReputationRep:
    I spent about £400 at least, probably more.

ReputationRep:
    well guys that's very.. relieving to know...
    hmmm *jumps off the roof*
    I suppose i've got to do some.. re-budgeting.. some saving up.. and some more taking loans :P

ReputationRep:
    £600, 80% of that was spent on going out and booze and rest on food
    plus couple more hundred on books, bus passes and whatnot

ReputationRep:
    And you won't have your loan in freshers week, so don't worry too much you can't blow it all away.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Sparkle*)
    And you won't have your loan in freshers week, so don't worry too much you can't blow it all away.
    Yeah I suppose that's one of the ways of looking at it... but it's a HUGE amount! :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Sparkle*)
    I spent about £400 at least, probably more.
    Ouch. I'm going to need a job.:eek4:

ReputationRep:
    For the first three weeks I imagine I'll spend about £400-£500 on going out/eating alone.

A lot, but if you're going out most nights it will soon rack up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flamin Nora)
    I probably spent about 950 quid in freshers week (that included my 550 pound catered rent). Though I did have 2000 coming in from grants and employment etc. I'd say most of my money went on entertainment (about 200) and books (about 150). Oh yeah and a lot of money went on public transport. We took a lot of train rides and taxis into the city in September/October lol.

So yeah I went a bit crazy, but I could have saved money by buying old textbooks (which I hardly used anyway), taking buses instead of taxis, and not going to pre-bars before hitting the big clubs.
    Hope you have a great freshers
    Since you mentioned rent, that reminded me - how exactly do you pay for 1st year accommodation - is it in one lump sum during freshers or is it in installments? And do we have to pay a deposit, if so how much and when? (I'll be staying at elgar btw).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toxic Tears)
    Since you mentioned rent, that reminded me - how exactly do you pay for 1st year accommodation - is it in one lump sum during freshers or is it in installments? And do we have to pay a deposit, if so how much and when? (I'll be staying at elgar btw).
    Hey I'll be staying at Elgar as well. Once the results come out and your offer becomes unconditional, the accommodation people get back to you with your application. they give you and offer and you have 7 days to reply. you accept an offer and pay deposit of 550 (they tell you how when they contact you regarding your offer - which would be via email and also it gets updated on the official site of accommodation)
    after paying the deposit your application status turns from 'offer' to 'accepted' and that's your room sorted.
    finally after that they send you an email telling you to choose how you're going to pay the rest of the money.
    it can be monthly, termly (november, january and april i think) or a lump sum
    if you do decide to pay a lump sum, you've got to do it before sept 20th or so and they deduct 10% or something like that from the total amount
    Mind you the deposit isn't actually a deposit, it's a pre payment.. so say the accommodations for 5000 and you pay 550 as prepayment.. you're left to pay 4450.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hotrock321)
    Hey I'll be staying at Elgar as well. Once the results come out and your offer becomes unconditional, the accommodation people get back to you with your application. they give you and offer and you have 7 days to reply. you accept an offer and pay deposit of 550 (they tell you how when they contact you regarding your offer - which would be via email and also it gets updated on the official site of accommodation)
    after paying the deposit your application status turns from 'offer' to 'accepted' and that's your room sorted.
    finally after that they send you an email telling you to choose how you're going to pay the rest of the money.
    it can be monthly, termly (november, january and april i think) or a lump sum
    if you do decide to pay a lump sum, you've got to do it before sept 20th or so and they deduct 10% or something like that from the total amount
    Mind you the deposit isn't actually a deposit, it's a pre payment.. so say the accommodations for 5000 and you pay 550 as prepayment.. you're left to pay 4450.
    Thanks a lot for the info bham doesnt really give much info about stuff like this; if i didnt know i had to pay a pre payment beforehand, i could have been stuck trying to find 550 within 7 days
    Oh good you're at elgar too - who knows we could be roomies!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toxic Tears)
    Pretty much what hotrock321 said. Just some advice, don't pay it in termly installments. They take it out at the same time your student loan comes in, so you basically never have money in the bank. I'd imagine that would be quite depressing. Also it's easier in terms of budgeting if you do it monthly.
    Oh yeah and if you are lucky enough to have the money to pay off all your accommodation in one go, don't do it. The discount is something ridiculous like 10 percent and it's not worth it. You'd make more interest money off it in a savings account I reckon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flamin Nora)
    Pretty much what hotrock321 said. Just some advice, don't pay it in termly installments. They take it out at the same time your student loan comes in, so you basically never have money in the bank. I'd imagine that would be quite depressing. Also it's easier in terms of budgeting if you do it monthly.
    Oh yeah and if you are lucky enough to have the money to pay off all your accommodation in one go, don't do it. The discount is something ridiculous like 10 percent and it's not worth it. You'd make more interest money off it in a savings account I reckon.
    If it were 10% it would definately be worth it - savings accounts aren't paying near that at the moment. But sadly I think its closer to 1% if I remember right.

ReputationRep:
    I paid mine all in one go, got a discount of £50...

Free student overdraft + Student Loan = win

ReputationRep:
    you have all now scared me! i was thinking £200ish, o dear
    *goes off to rebudget*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x0hannah0x)
    you have all now scared me! i was thinking £200ish, o dear
    *goes off to rebudget*
    I KNOW! i've been trying to get money from anywhere and everywhere.. but failing to do so comfortably!

ReputationRep:
    The most important advice regarding money in your first weeks at uni:

Do not buy all the books that the lecturers tell you to. Only get them on a need-basis; if you find yourself taking out the same book from the library's short loan every week, you may want to buy it. If you find a particular book really good and would use it for exam revision, you may want to buy it. But don't just rush in and buy a load of books after the first week of lectures. If you do, you'll just find a load of books in your shelf that you've only opened one or two times.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HJV)
    The most important advice regarding money in your first weeks at uni:

Do not buy all the books that the lecturers tell you to. Only get them on a need-basis; if you find yourself taking out the same book from the library's short loan every week, you may want to buy it. If you find a particular book really good and would use it for exam revision, you may want to buy it. But don't just rush in and buy a load of books after the first week of lectures. If you do, you'll just find a load of books in your shelf that you've only opened one or two times.
    Good advice I made this mistake and ended up selling a ton of practically untouched textbooks on ebay

Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.