Turn on thread page Beta

Starting things up with someone right before going back to uni. watch

Well, two weeks ago I met someone. Since then I have seen him six or seven times. I REALLY like him. I haven't felt this way about someone in quite a long time; I find it very hard to find people I like, plus someone split up with me around Christmas which I took very hard and have only really recently felt over it.

I'm going back to uni in about 6 weeks, could stretch it to 8 if I had to (in my second year and it's just the date I was intending to move in that matters). He's a couple years older than me and has already graduated, so he's just going to be staying here.

My uni's about 70 miles away from home, it's not the most ridiculously long-distance prospect in the world. But still, it's not even as if we've been mates for ages, we literally met two-and-a-bit weeks ago.

It's getting a bit coupley and looks like something's developing :/ do you think I should break things off before I get overly attached? I mean even if I was to say "I'll keep this going til uni, then leave it" surely the longer I leave it the more likely I/him am going to get hurt.

ReputationRep:
    The longer you leave it the more likely you are to get hurt. You could always try long distance? You have to think long and hard about risk and reward, the benefits and negatives to each option then make a decision. Feel free to PM me I'm in the same situation as you. Started dating a girl last week and go back to uni in a month so talking to someone else in the same boat would help me work out what I'm going to do as well.

ReputationRep:
    70 miles is nothing - go for it.

ReputationRep:
    70 miles isnt a massive distance? Can he drive? 70 miles is a fairly pleasant driving distance

ReputationRep:
    Yep, 70 miles is nothing. You may aswell try. Better than being left with the "what if" feeling.

what does 'it's getting a bit coupley' mean?

ReputationRep:
    Don't break things off just because you think they might not work. If they don't work, then ok, but you should wait to find that out. It could work out perfectly.

ReputationRep:
    well i think the worst thing you can do it lt it develop for the next 8 weeks then say "well it's been fun, but I'm going back to uni now so bye" you need to make up your mind, either you want a relationship with him, and will cope with the distance and whatnot or you ay, no i want to go back to uni and not be in a relationship. but you need to choose now.

ReputationRep:
    70 miles is bugger all.
    I'd happily drive that twice a week for my g/f.

ReputationRep:
    im officially in the same posistion too except we are both going to uni like an hour apart :/ im actually gutted! x

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 30, 2009
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.