Turn on thread page Beta

NUS/UCAS cards watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    hey guys can u telll me what is NUS card is. where can u use it.

ReputationRep:
    It's your National Union of Students membership card. It gives you a load of discounts and Union membership.

ReputationRep:
    An NUS card is usually given to you as a university card.

You can use it in all sorts of places and also purchase and NUS Extra Card for additional discounts

If your uni card does not have NUS, that means they dont have not paid the affiliation fee to join it

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone think the NUS Extra card is a good buy, or should I save my ten quid for ale?!?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Martyn1989)
    Does anyone think the NUS Extra card is a good buy, or should I save my ten quid for ale?!?
    There was a thread somewhere around here about it. I think the general consensus was that if you buy things online a lot, it's a good buy, otherwise save your money.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by Martyn1989)
    Well, with ours you get 10% off in the SU bar anyway (win-win ).

But it depends, if you're going to use it at the places they say you can, then yeah, it's worth it (plus for us it's decent ID if you don't want to be carrying your Uni card/driving license around all the time.)

I don't think I would've bought one at first if I hadn't got it free, but, I reckon it's a good buy.

EDIT: WOOOOOAAAHHH, as I was typing that, I got an email.... only just opened it: "Your NUS Extra Card‏"

Spookey... (especially it being sent at 12:04 in the morning )

ReputationRep:
    I just ordered my NUS Extra card, but it also says you can login to the site to track the order but I didn't recieve a password to go with my email address.. and didn't get it by email. Just wondering if I'm even meant to have a password yet or like when I pick the card up from my universities union, because it also says about activating the card on the below site..?

http://www.nusextra.co.uk/login.aspx...2fdefault.aspx

Edit: Nevermind, got the email eventually with the password.

ReputationRep:
    Its pointless if you ask me. All of the shops listed that you can get discount off by presenting the NUS card, you just need to present your uni card and say "Student Discount" and they accept it each time.

Might as well save yourself the £10

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    Its pointless if you ask me. All of the shops listed that you can get discount off by presenting the NUS card, you just need to present your uni card and say "Student Discount" and they accept it each time.

Might as well save yourself the £10
    I've had problems with some places not allowing me to just show them my college card though, they wanted an NUS card and an NUS card only, so it'd probably be the same with my uni card. I also mostly want it because I shop online a fair amount and the discounts look good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flash6289)
    I've had problems with some places not allowing me to just show them my college card though, they wanted an NUS card and an NUS card only, so it'd probably be the same with my uni card. I also mostly want it because I shop online a fair amount and the discounts look good.
    Fair enough, works all the time for me though.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure I heard you get either one or both at Uni for free or something. Do you get any of them at Uni or anything? Cas I'd rather get them both now online else. Ta.

ReputationRep:
    NUS card I'm pretty sure you apply for at uni, and I think you have to pay for it. UCAS card's been replaced with the Yougo card and it's for people in 16+ education, and it's free from UCAS website.

ReputationRep:
    NUS card you get at uni, pretty much a given, NUS extra you have to pay for that

is UCAS card just for people who are 16+ in education but not at uni?

ReputationRep:
    I know I could do this through google but difference between NUS extra and NUS card?

ReputationRep:
    lol good question:p:
    well apart from having to pay for a NUS extra card, where the NUS is free
    all you get is more deals
    What is the NUS Extra Card?

The NUS Extra card is a discount card that the Students' Union offers exclusively to our students. It is in addition to your University card and has lots of discounts when you make purchases online and in store. It also includes the ISIC branding (International Student Identity Card) which used to be a separate card and includes lots of discounts for accommodation and travel nationally and internationally. The card is effectively 2 cards for the price of 1.

to sum that up, it gives you more discounts, including some online such as Amazon, Ticketmaster, Office Shoes, PC World, JJB Sports, Arriva, Matalan, about 75 extra places, you can still get discounts with the NUS card, just not is as many places

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FM08)
    I'm sure I heard you get either one or both at Uni for free or something. Do you get any of them at Uni or anything? Cas I'd rather get them both now online else. Ta.
    If you end up at Aston you won't/can't get an NUS card as Aston are no longer affliliated to them (as of about 2 years ago). However just about everywhere in Brum which offers a student discount will accept your Aston ID card as proof you're a student. There's only JJB that I can think of which doesn't.

ReputationRep:
    what is the yougo further card also? got some random email about it today but won't let me see what it's about unless I register, don't wanna do that.

ReputationRep:
    http://yougo.co.uk/groups/specialoffers/default.aspx

ReputationRep:
    nice one, think i'll have that

ReputationRep:
    NUS cards are a lot better than UCAS cards. I've got the latter and most places are reluctant to accept it as it doesn't have your photo on it and because it's new lots of places don't know about it or recognise it as being official. Pretty much everytime I've used my UCAS card I've had to hand over my DL as proof of ID with it, so once I get back to the UK I'm applying for an NUS card. So if you get the choice or don't mind paying a tenner, go for the NUS card

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 28, 2010
Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.