Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hey, my cousins DS doesnt connect to their household wireless. something to do with it being WPA instead of WEP?

anyway does anyone know the best way to get around this? i hear about wifi dongles and wonder if anyone has one or knows if it will work or not?

cheers, guys, wanna pwn him at pokemon from my own room

ReputationRep:
    yes, the dongle will work fine. I have one myself. In the manual it reads, "up to five Nintendo DS systems can connect up to the internet at one time using this USB cnnector"

ReputationRep:
    yes it is to do with WPA. It'll only work with WEP. I changed mine from WPA to WEP (and that involved making up a password too) and ds wifi worked. However apparently your internet security isn't as strong with WPA as WEP, which led to my dad complaining, hence I changed in back (and had to suffer without DS wifi , lol)

I think that USB connector will work, but personally I couldn't be bothered to buy it and I think it's kind of annoying you have to log onto the computer to play it.

ReputationRep:
    cheers guys..

so the dongle will take the WPA signal from your network/pc and convert it to a friendly WEP for the DS? is that right? my cousin doesnt want to pay £20 for a dongle then find out it doesnt work...

thanks

ReputationRep:
    I was under the impression WPA is a more secure option that WEP... I know my neighbours have a wireless network named for their DS which is WPA...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bean87)
    so the dongle will take the WPA signal from your network/pc and convert it to a friendly WEP for the DS? is that right? my cousin doesnt want to pay £20 for a dongle then find out it doesnt work...
    yeah, mines actually a nintendo one so try that if you're concerned, but it just plugs into the usb slot and draws from the connection you already have. :3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chemicallyabused)
    yeah, mines actually a nintendo one so try that if you're concerned, but it just plugs into the usb slot and draws from the connection you already have. :3
    awesome cheers, i think reading this will persuade him to get one

you much of a pokemon gamer?

ReputationRep:
    Dongles work fine. I suggest the Nintendo offical one is the best.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.